• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Embarking on an Eastwood 1675 Rootbeer Nipple Dial build

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
I'm excited so I'm starting a post early on to detail this build. It all started when I saw a reasonably priced nipple dial(refinished) on the bay. I'm not much into gold watches however after seeing the dial and researching I think this will be interesting.

There are only 2 or 3 documented builds that I saw on RWI for nipple dials.

Below are the parts ordered. Mostly from ebay.

Base watch a BP "vintagized" 1675 as it already has the champagne datewheel
Burgundy "tropical" nipple dial
Wso solid gold bezel
plated gold 1675 crown with tube
wso plated two tone steril jubilee bacelet (i have a rep clasp)
wso burgundy bezel insert and retaining ring
Wso gold handset(just using the minute and hour hands)
long pinion seconds hand rafflestime
2mm all gold gmt hand rafflestime
Dial feet assortment

I'm sticking with 2836 and just praying I don't have gmt hand clearance issues as the nips on the dial rise a bit off the dial base. Hopefully datewheel lines up nicely. Research shows the bp gmt dial is nearly identical to gen with regards to their diameters.

I'm also nervous about gluing dial feet, im very good with loctite SG and very small amout will go a long way. Will be doing the gluing with dial on a junked 2836 so as to not let the glue run into movement however I know better than to use that amount of glue. Better safe than sorry. Im worried about getting it aligned perfectly and the wide base of the burgeon feet adding mms to overall height of dial + movement. I suppose they could be sanded if the foot's base is an issue. I dont want to use dial dots. I'm also considering cutting out the center of a scrap gmt dial and gluing it to back of gen dial thus utilizing its feet.

If case shaping needs done I'll do that too. The hands will need some aged lume applied aswell.

If I really dig it and it goes well maybe I'll try to find a reasonable gen crown and jubilee? The reasonable part sounds unlikely though.
jZCNfj.jpg
jZCEQ1.jpg
jZCfh4.jpg
jZC7Uv.jpg

jZCcW5.webp
jZCJxp.jpg
jZPDft.jpg
jZCgQF.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hor-Fan

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Oh that is a NICE project! Great choice - can’t wait to see it finished!

Can I be first in the queue for this, if you decide to sell it on once you’re done? :)

Reactions: KJ2020

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Oh that is a NICE project! Great choice - can’t wait to see it finished!

Can I be first in the queue for this, if you decide to sell it on once you’re done? :)

Sure why not! I'm pretty good with most things regarding modding, that is to say I've ruined enough movements dials, and datewheels in my years to learn what not to do, my lume work needs my practice though, luckily thats not really required here other than the hands maybe (that dial lume looks pretty white from the pics) This will be relatively straight forward, however its definitely the biggest bite I've ever taken, let's just see if I can chew it first.

Reactions: p0pperini

WildString46

Known Member
9/1/20
Weast!
Hey bro! I think you have a great build ahead of you! I would say though because you're going all out on a solid gold bezel, consider using a Milk case for the build. You will be very satisfied with the thickness of the milk over the BP base case. In addition because you bought the 5.3mm gold plated crown, there will be some unsightly gaps as the crown is a bit too small in between the crownguards with the BP case.

I also had the same thought about the BP "vintagized" DWO, it would be perfect for a gold or two-tone build! Also don't forget a new crystal, Clark's 25-116 is good enough clarity-wise and has a better magnification than any aftermarket I've seen (I've had Sternkreuz, GS, some no-name from Startime, and the stock BP plexi).

Reactions: deadpan

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Hey bro! I think you have a great build ahead of you! I would say though because you're going all out on a solid gold bezel, consider using a Milk case for the build. You will be very satisfied with the thickness of the milk over the BP base case. In addition because you bought the 5.3mm gold plated crown, there will be some unsightly gaps as the crown is a bit too small in between the crownguards with the BP case.

I also had the same thought about the BP "vintagized" DWO, it would be perfect for a gold or two-tone build! Also don't forget a new crystal, Clark's 25-116 is good enough clarity-wise and has a better magnification than any aftermarket I've seen (I've had Sternkreuz, GS, some no-name from Startime, and the stock BP plexi).

Thanks mate! I will consider all in due time! Nothing is set in stone. I'm rather impatient so I went for all options in parts that could order in one night. Im going on vacation soon, when I get back everything should be waiting for me at the office. Like Christmas!

The smaller crown is a concern on my my mind. I will evaluate once installed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
I have a genuine 18k 5.3 crown I just took off my 16750 that was converted to look like a 16753. (Converting it back) And gen bezel/insert & hands, but it looks like you have those already taken care of.
PM me if you want it.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
I have a genuine 18k 5.3 crown I just took off my 16750 that was converted to look like a 16753. (Converting it back) And gen bezel/insert & hands, but it looks like you have those already taken care of.
PM me if you want it.
Let me see how the 5.3 mm looks in the BP Cgs. I might just hate it and if I do I will reach out and see if you still have it. Same for the other parts you mentioned. Thank you for letting me know!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WildString46

Known Member
9/1/20
Weast!

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Here's a sale post of one I recall with a BP and a 5.3 mm crown. Do note that his title is wrong, it's a BP/Cartel rather than a Viet case.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...le-my-first-build-1675-root-bear-vietnam-case

Nice, thanks! Didn't come across this one. The crown doesnt look too bad when looking at the face. That gap is way more prominent when looking directly at cgs. Could probably live with that.

I appreciate all the input. My goal was to create a thread with as much information for future 16753 wanderers, wailing their woes.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
On another note, I find two tone oysters to be appalling, whether its a shitter Mkors watch or a Rolex.

WildString46

Known Member
9/1/20
Weast!
Nice, thanks! Didn't come across this one. The crown doesnt look too bad when looking at the face. That gap is way more prominent when looking directly at cgs. Could probably live with that.

I appreciate all the input. My goal was to create a thread with as much information for future 16753 wanderers, wailing their woes.

No worries! If you are set on using the BP case and reshaping that, I would probably recommend using a 6mm gold crown which would also fit on the same tube.

It's honestly a little difficult to use the crown on a gen-spec 1675/16750/16753 because of the 5.3mm crown (which really is small for normal-sized hands) and the crown guards.

Reactions: ward1991

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
My personal choice for this project would be a case from milk051506 - particularly given that you've gone to some trouble to source some very nice components for the build. A $670 bezel/insert combo really deserves a top-notch case. You can see some close-ups of milk's case at the start of my 1675 build blog here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...n-a-1675-build

(Obviously I have a vested interest in this project, now you've promised to sell it to me when you're done.) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020 and deadpan

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have some very detailed info about gluing dial feet in the post linked below.

The Hulktimate - GREEN goes GOLD!

I would use the actual movement to fit the feet onto the dial. I used to use an "equivalent" movement but there can be some minor differences from one sample to the next.

Reactions: p0pperini

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
I have some very detailed info about gluing dial feet in the post linked below.

The Hulktimate - GREEN goes GOLD!

I would use the actual movement to fit the feet onto the dial. I used to use an "equivalent" movement but there can be some minor differences from one sample to the next.

The information in that post is invaluable. Thank you so much! Saved me a bunch of time and possible errors.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Build update.

I have most of the parts in, still waiting on my long pinion gold seconds hand from raffles and Clark 116 crystal that hopefully will fit with my wso assembly here. Currently I have a wso 116 fitted that needed sanding (even with their bezel assembly and retainer ring? Hrm)

Screwed in the 5.3 plated gold crown, it fit the bp's tube perfectly, however i have a gen solid gold 6mm crown that i want to install instead but neither of my tubes will fit it. I have a few on the way so lets hope they work.

Tomorrow is the fun part, fitting the dial with new feet. I can't swing a gen movement sorry folks.
its a refinished dial so I don't feel too bad about clipping the feet. Plus I dont mind the "swiss" 2836 from Andrew. Its running strong.

After that ill touch up the crown guards a little and maybe slim the case a bit and drill the lug holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: FREEWIFI and KJ2020

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Tossed together for a looksie.

Dial mounted successfully with new feet attached and modded dial spacer.

Waiting on my seconds hand, crystal and crown tube still. Lookin good, can't wait to wear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hor-Fan

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Your insert is not the right part for a 1675 case, it's a sapphire crystal insert. That's why there is a huge gap between the insert and the crystal.

Look at the one linked below for the right size insert. The 1675/3 insert is wider and has a much smaller inner diameter. This will be good for your build as your insert has some numbers cut off at the top (2's) that won't be a flaw on the right insert.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...e-gmt-genstein

Last edited:

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Your insert is not the right part for a 1675 case, it's a sapphire crystal insert. That's why there is a huge gap between the insert and the crystal.

Look at the one linked below for the right size insert. The 1675/3 insert is wider and has a much smaller inner diameter. This will be good for your build as your insert has some numbers cut off at the top (2's) that won't be a flaw on the right insert.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...e-gmt-genstein

It should be noted the retaining ring is not on, the insert is just sitting in the bezel which is jsut resting around xtal.

This is the insert wso sold with their gold bezel, ill get a proper one :)

P.s. your hulk build documentation saved me countless hours. Thank you sir

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It should be noted the retaining ring is not on, the insert is just sitting in the bezel which is jsut resting around xtal.

This is the insert wso sold with their gold bezel, ill get a proper one :)

P.s. your hulk build documentation saved me countless hours. Thank you sir

Did the retaining ring come with the case or the bezel? If it came with the bezel it may not fit the crystal properly. If it came with the case, it may not fit the bezel properly. If your WSO bezel set came with a 5 digit (sapphire crystal) insert, it is likely a 5 digit (sapphire crystal) bezel also.

Some good info in this link.

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ref_16750.html

Last edited: