• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Attention all Swiss ETA buyers.... Please Read!

neotec8

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/6/10
For what ever reason I felt compelled to look. a piece of Gorilla duct tape and Im in business. I crack the case and spin the back and while im doing it I realize , who cares if its Swiss made, Chinese or made by elves. It is silent runs smooth as hell and keeps perfect time.

IMG_4893.jpg

bravo9

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/12/10
I've learned a lot from this post. I've had about 6 reps and all of them i had with "swiss movements". Could have saved a lot of money have i read this post earlier. Poor me! But still an awesome thread guys!

ROZI

Looking Around
23/12/10
Hi ,
I am intrested in chrono automatic Breguet, Pattek Philippe IWC or VC replica what will you suggest the best internet stores should be ?

Ginault

Looking Around
22/11/10
Well, sellita is a very good alternative! But I doubt sellita's willing to ship the movement out side the Switzerland.....

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
But you find them in some replicas... And there's no clone of them. At least it seems.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Well, sellita is a very good alternative! But I doubt sellita's willing to ship the movement out side the Switzerland.....
They do you know mate. My wholesaler in HK has them (SW200) in stock by the 100 tray and I can source in small quantities here in Australia. The SW500 should not be far away. I think cousins.uk have them as well. Sellita are out to sell MVTs so they are taking on resellers everywhere.

But you find them in some replicas... And there's no clone of them. At least it seems.
Ah, there is now. So I found out not long ago. I hope to get my hands on one for a looky in the not too distant future.

Col.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Bad news Col :(
I'd be curious to see one, and if they just changed the stamps on an ETA or really went with a new copy (one more jewel).
So finally now I'm not even sure of what's in my latest toys...

nycreplica

Renowned Member
14/1/11
Any recent updates?
When i'm purchasing a rep which movement will be better the ETA 2824-2 or Asian 2824 ($50 cheaper). I don't care about the $50 just wanna know which one is better.

Thanks.

forrestwhite

Known Member
1/10/09
Any recent updates?
When i'm purchasing a rep which movement will be better the ETA 2824-2 or Asian 2824 ($50 cheaper). I don't care about the $50 just wanna know which one is better.

Thanks.

Another bump! Looking to find out the same as nycreplica above...

WatchDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
Another bump! Looking to find out the same as nycreplica above...

This thread is 9 pages long, so a quick summary seems reasonable: Here we go: If they say Swiss, doubt it. However, if a particular movement costs more, the implication is that it's better quality. So, the issue is, what's your budget, and do you want a "better" movement. I have evolved a bit. My 21j PO (planet ocean) feels totally clunky when changing the time or date. My chrono with a 7750 feels as smooth as my Gen Seiko. So, an Asian 2824 will be better than a 21j movement (might last longer and will feel better when changing stuff - but not infallible), and do you want to spend the extra for an "eta" that might make for a better fake...er..rep watch.

if you KNOW you want that watch, spend up a bit. If not sure, some guys will get a 21j version to see if they like the look, if not, they sell it. If yes, they sell it AND get the better version. Thought this was all easy didn't ya? Problem is, we're all obsessed, and part of this is the acquisition of stuff that we never really satisfy.

Whew! Good luck

4Rari

Known Member
4/6/11
I read this entire thread and gained some valuable knowledge. Thank you.

Now the question is :
Has there been any significant change in our ability to trust what the TD's are advertising ?

I would hope the fact that this has been brought to light that there is a greater likelihood of getting what you pay for if buying from a TD.

Please update where we stand as we approach 2014 in a thread started in 2008.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Pay for clone, upgrade to Swiss. That's how I've always done my purchases.

coop

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
I don't think much has changed. In fact as good as the clones are getting you may pay for Swiss and still get a clone, in fact, this may have been happening all along.

Coop

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Just as a note to this. A year ago I got a BP Rolex Explorer 2 with a swiss movement, the price was good and when I commented on this the Dealer told me it was a rebuilt swiss movement and that everyone on the forum new that watches advertised with swiss movements were in fact rebuilt. (Recently I was looking for a certain watch and out of 5 TD dealers only one said refurbished swiss movement in their advertisement.) Little did I know what a time Bomb it would be and though I Knew NOOB made a better EXP2 (But it was not available) I could not contain my enthusiasm, an (Asian) A2836 was not available either. I probably spent $400 between getting the movement repaired twice and then finally having VAC replace it with genuine new swiss 2836. I did buy a Noob EXP 2 some months latter with a A3187 not really knowing what I was getting, its in fact a highly decorated A2836, I could of paid less and got a plain A2836. Anyway for any new people reading this be warned. Unless you are buying from BK or M2M make sure you ask plenty of questions. Sometimes you have no choice and have to bite the bullet if you really want something. Yes you may need to replace a movement, yes REP parts are hard to source. But if you put some time and money into this hobby you will learn a lot and make some great friends.

tony8028

30/11/12
This is an invaluable thread as I was considering my next rep purchase and was thinking a 'swiss eta'.

I love the movement on my Steinhart ocean one - are any of the asian movements in this class?

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Hi all if anyone can confirm this it would be appreciated... am I correct in saying I can replace an A2824 Clone 25J Auto 28800bph with a Gen ETA 2836-2. It's just that I'm interested in a rep with the Asian movement but I also have the eta in a watch that I've had from new, it's about ten years old now, never misses a beat and keeps good time, so I was wondering if I end up with a dead Asian movement I could substitute it with the eta. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Watchgurupz replied to my last post, thank you, I can see it from my email notification but it is cut short... however it is not here, is there a problem with the forum as I can't seem to retrieve it, either from here or Tapatalk

Sent from the RWI mobile app