• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2nd opinion needed for ETA 2834-2

Tomyumgai

Renowned Member
5/9/14
Hello, all. I just wanted to see if I can get a second opinion to my issue from some of you who have experience. This is for a Swiss ETA 2832-2, that keeps excellent time and runs well. I was adjusting time since the watch had not been worn for 2 days and when I adjusted the time FORWARD, I felt excessive slipping. I pulled the movement out of the watch, removed the date wheel, and noticed the minute train bridge screw had been backed out. I tightened the screw and made sure the keyless still worked. Everything seemed to be OK until I tried to adjust the time again.

Moving the time BACKWARDS (crown moving CW) a bit, everything seemed to be operating normal. The crown/stem felt the "correct" amount of friction. But when moving he time FORWARD (crown moving CCW), I felt a lot of slippage.

TO ME, it seemed like the setting wheel was slipping against the minute wheel. Being that the minute wheel is brass (I think), I can only assume that it's the softer material of the 2 wheels, causing the minute wheel to slip as it's the weaker of the two.

As of this moment, I can't adjust the time forward via crown/stem. It feels like a decent amount of friction until it slips. But I can adjust the time backwards, although I try to avoid that.

Can anybody give me a second opinion or maybe confirm mine?

Here is a picture w/ the minute train bridge removed.

6AEAC2CA-A1B5-4F01-A1A9-F65D1FD595A8_zpsihm8grvz.jpg

Thanks in advance!

DVNE

Put Some Respect On My Name
7/11/12
I personally think its the crown.. HAve you tried it with a different crown.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I agree. Either that or the little winding pinion and sliding pinion on the stem slipping. Maybe not enough pressure from the yoke? You certainly should have been able to see what was slipping with the dial off like it was.

junbug5150

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
24/12/14
Do you have the plate to keep everything in it's place?? You said you removed the DW, so I assume you do.

Tomyumgai

Renowned Member
5/9/14
I tried 2 different stems with the same result. Personally, I don't think its the crown itself. It's loctite'd to the stem and under a mag. glass, you can see the crown and stem turning as one unit.

I do have the minute bridge train cover but it was removed for picture purposes.

The stem clicks solidly when going into date or time position. Winding and date flip seems to work properly but it's only when adjusting the time forward.

Thanks for everyone's help so far! Keep the responses coming!