• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2836 movement, request for advice if Swiss or Asian

AF_FNQ

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/10/10
Looking for advice as to whether this 2836 movement is a Swiss ETA or a copy. I purchased it a little while ago and was told at the time that it was Swiss.

I did look at the sticky on how to pick a Swiss over an Asian...but my eye is not that good at picking out the finer details.

Thanks in advance.

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
It looks genuine to me as I compare to a nickle plated version I have in my hand, except for the lettering to the left of the balance. The eta logo is not as clear, neither is the writing. This could be because of the gold plating I suppose.

Did you pay $300 dollars or so for it, and is it keeping time well?

AF_FNQ

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/10/10
Thanks for the quick reply.

The movement is in a GMT 2 bought close to 10 years ago from an at the time TD called Timeshops. I wore it as a daily and it kept ,and still keeps great time, although it has drawer for the last 4 or 5 years as some of the bezel numbers "paint" came off and I never got around to getting a new one . Only just dragged it out a month ago and revisited it.

Without searching for the receipt, I kinda remember that the watch was in the low $USD200 range.

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
That is a beautiful looking movement. If it has run for 10 years with no trouble, I think you can be sure it is genuine.