• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2000V by V8F

BarbariousEagle

Horology Curious
13/9/20
I really want to get into Vacheron Constantin, especially the Overseas. However, (with this watch being no exception it seems) every factory seems to keep messing up the cross. I understand these are reps, but I honestly don't understand how factories have managed to keep messing up this detail in every single iteration of a VC.

fauxtogo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
27/1/20
I really want to get into Vacheron Constantin, especially the Overseas. However, (with this watch being no exception it seems) every factory seems to keep messing up the cross. I understand these are reps, but I honestly don't understand how factories have managed to keep messing up this detail in every single iteration of a VC.

What are your main concerns with how it has been done?

BarbariousEagle

Horology Curious
13/9/20
Get one of the reps in-hand and in-person and you'll forget all about this. You don't realize how small that cross actually is

I hope your right, I'm not trying to be overly negative, far from it. After I get the 3k Aquanaut an overseas with a blue dial is probably going to be my next purchase. I'm just hoping that the purchase will be worth it and not easily identified as a rep is all.

lo1800

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/21
italy
nice this one as model overall!
i had the rep OV and loved it, especially in white.
often, the factories push the attention to details more on rolex and well known brand instead of giving the same accuracy on VC, or breguet for ex...

faramir85

Horology Curious
10/10/18
Also interested in any reviews out there! I've been checking images from TD between V8F and XF and no big differences in my opinion

2020Raiden

Dank
30/7/21
USA
x3 really looking to see some in-person photos of this before I pull the trigger. Only seen QC thus far.

MrFitzwilliam

Horology Curious
20/12/20
Just got it from Hont. At $328 shipped, this watch is 0,5% of the gen, so we should probably keep that in mind while reviewing. TLDR: Love the watch, little ticker than gen, but no one saw it in person, so who cares. The cross is really small, can't say why people keep that discussion going on.

Wrist roll video: https://imgur.com/a/3mP4o8S

It's 9,3mm thick (gen is 7,5mm), not sure what XF really was but I read about 8,7mm.
So, it's probably slightly ticker than XF (defunct) and 1,8mm than gen. I can only imagine what it feels to wear the gen, I have an XF Santos Dumont 7mm and it's ridiculously thin in the wrist.
So, at 9,3, it feels thin and goes under the cuff, but it most certainly isn't like gen. But, as I said, at this price point it would be fair to compare it to the Tissot PRX, that clocks 10.4mm and 10.8mm (quartz/automatic). Can you keep straight face while saying you would get better bang for you buck from the Tissot Quartz?

Talking about quartz, considering the movement decoration can't fool anyone, it actually looks better on this pictures, I would absolutely buy a quartz fantasy closed back version of this with gen thickness, as it doesn't have a second hand.

The clasp has stain less steel written on it, unlike the rest of the bracelet that has Au. The bracelet is nice, but on mine one of the microadjustment links can't keep in place, if anyone has a trick to fix this I apreciate. If you have a big wrist you might need extra links, as I just removed a single link and usually remove 2. The gen is in white gold with a rodium bath from what I understand, so it should be fine as far as color goes. Nevertheless, I have the impression that the metal is slightly warmer than other SS whatches I have. Maybe the brushing, maybe my mind playing tricks on me.

The dial is gorgeous, love the colour and reflections, but can't say compared to gen, as I don't have a boutique on a 1000km radius (and I think not even in one you can find it now). Comparing to different pictures of the gen in reviews I think it is pretty close. Don't worry about the macro pictures I'm sending of the dial, as they are on a harsh sun on a macro. The dial is beaitull and smoth, no sign of a mustache effect at all.

Well, I love it, the light on the case, the reflection on the polished bezel, it's stunning and brings attention to it. Really happy that I pulled the trigger after waiting 6 months for an XF to show up. XF was better? Maybe it was, who knows now. This one is 25% cheaper. Hope this helps anyone looking for the V8F alternative.

jnk9K2.jpg

jnkZ4Q.jpg

jnkjgL.jpg

jnk3mR.jpg

jnk2ev.jpg

jnk5H4.jpg

jnkU1I.jpg

jnkW4c.jpg

jnkagX.jpg

jnkmoi.jpg

jnkoPb.jpg

jnkq0p.jpg

jnk6Mn.jpg

jnkO55.jpg

jnkYtF.jpg

jnkHP8.jpg

jnkK0K.jpg

jnkAt1.jpg

jnkLNj.jpg

Last edited:

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
Just got it from Hont. At $328 shipped, this watch is 0,5% of the gen, so we should probably keep that in mind while reviewing. TLDR: Love the watch, little ticker than gen, but no one saw it in person, so who cares. The cross is really small, can't say why people keep that discussion going on.

This has the same soft corners on the bezel cross that my XF has that drives me crazy... That's kind of interesting to note. Maybe same case manufacturer?

Ernesteka

Supporter
Certified
1/5/20

Wrist roll video: https://imgur.com/a/3mP4o8S

[…]

Well, I love it, the light on the case, the reflection on the polished bezel, it's stunning and brings attention to it. Really happy that I pulled the trigger after waiting 6 months for an XF to show up. XF was better? Maybe it was, who knows now. This one is 25% cheaper. Hope this helps anyone looking for the V8F alternative.

Thank you for your awesome review.
May I ask you, how long did you wait for your QC pics from Hont? I ordered mine from Jtime three weeks ago and did not receive anything.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

MrFitzwilliam

Horology Curious
20/12/20
Thank you for your awesome review.
May I ask you, how long did you wait for your QC pics from Hont? I ordered mine from Jtime three weeks ago and did not receive anything.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I paid Hont on October 27 and got the QC pictures and video four days later. I got the delivery 26 day after payment (20 days after label creation). Overall very happy with all my deals with Hont.

Reactions: Ernesteka

MrFitzwilliam

Horology Curious
20/12/20
OP - isn't that part of the bracelet more likely to be SS than gold on the Gen?

Haven't found a gen picture, but highly doubt it, considering the leather clasp is gold and the XF version has Au750 engraved.
Guess they are just cutting corners using the same clasp from the larger SS Overseas.

MrFitzwilliam

Horology Curious
20/12/20
Ok, mine just hit the floor. The screwed bar broke and the threaded part was nowhere to be seen, just found the remaining of the bar.
Can't use the bar from the bracelet as it's larger than this one. Any ideas where I can source a replacement? It has 0,88m in diameter.

Berwatch

Known Member
13/10/20
Shortening one of the pins of the bracelet shouldn't be that difficult.
Hacksaw, file, sandpaper...
If you are not a handy guy, you sure know one.