• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MKS Overseas coming soon

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Mine has just arrived as well, slight issue with the strap which damaged when boxed for shipping (one side bent backwards).

Quick initial thoughts against the JJF, case bevels are thicker, thicker date font, lume is better. Main difference is the caseback engraving which is not as deep and some printing (particularly the serial number) is smaller. When I get a chance I'll check which is more true to gen. The JJF bracelet fits the MKS fine.
20210206-131924.jpg
20210206-131939.jpg
20210206-132958.jpg
20210206-132944.jpg
20210206-132923.jpg

Last edited:

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
I've checked the gen photos and the mks case bevels are more accurate however the JJF caseback is definitely closer to gen. I'm going to silence the MKS rotor later so will see if the JJF caseback fits as well as I much prefer the grey dial to the black (deep stream version from JJF was unavailable when I tried to buy it).
20210207-091922.jpg

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
Ok theses pics put me in love, i buy one next month lol, they looks good enough for me and since we don't have the choice, the MKS will be far enough :)

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
Thanks for the upload, do you think that bezel is titanium?

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Now those close up pics look much better. Date wheel alignment was always an issue on the JJF, I had the black, white and gray and none of them were perfect on every date. MK looks much better.

Caseback looks a bit disappointing like you say.

It's the kind of watch I'd sell my reps and get in gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Parto

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Thanks for the upload, do you think that bezel is titanium?

I'm going to guess yes given the darker colour of the metal. Edit, I have managed to ding the bezel and it shiny below so I'm guessing it has a matt coating over a steel bezel

Last edited:

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Last comments from me the movement didn't have a decorated rotor (unlike TD pics) which probably explains why it wasn't as noisy as other miyota rep movements I have but I greased with moebius 8200 anyway.

The JJF caseback fits fine though the 'soft iron' cages aren't interchangeable and it's definitely not iron in the MKS. Im not sure how accurate the dial colour is, it looks almost brown in some lights, but it looks great and I really like this rep.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
I bought 2 VCO recently. One is the latest JJF (manufactured in April 2020) and the other one is the MKS.

two noteable flaws of the MKS version are:1. the dial printing is inaccurate since the gen does not have the yellowish glare. The VC cross on MKS dial is good and is better than the JJF version but they are not very distinguiable.

I modified the rep by using:

1. a modified ETA 2892 from tag heuer, accuracy is good. daily difference= -1. I then modified the case and movement holder, crown.... etc to make the 2892 fit. MIYOTA sucks and is not gen-like in every aspect. I planned to reprint the datewheel as well but did not have the time to do this. Will do in March or April.

2. JJF dial paired with MKS inner bezel. I accidentally damaged the JJF inner bezel by spilling some water on it and the number 30 disappeared due to this fault. unexpectedly bad quality. This is the reason why I bought the MKS version.

3. re-polished the JJF case and bracelet. I plan to use the MKS buckle with a JJF bracelet and I have been searching for the MKS buckle.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
My dealer told me that the white and blue versions of MKS VCO are the factory's most proud offerings and are closest to gen among the 4 variants but I highly doubt that.

personally, I would recommend the blue one from MKS.

As for JJF, different batches of production means different quality and different details. If you can get a black/white after Jan 2020 with thinner cross, get one and it is a better choice.

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
My dealer told me that the white and blue versions of MKS VCO are the factory's most proud offerings and are closest to gen among the 4 variants but I highly doubt that.

personally, I would recommend the blue one from MKS.

As for JJF, different batches of production means different quality and different details. If you can get a black/white after Jan 2020 with thinner cross, get one and it is a better choice.

Many thanks for your insights , what do you think / how would you compare it with the XF Thin overseas please if i may ask ? cheers

Last edited:

THXuk

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
25/3/06
London
I bought 2 VCO recently. One is the latest JJF (manufactured in April 2020) and the other one is the MKS.

two noteable flaws of the MKS version are:1. the dial printing is inaccurate since the gen does not have the yellowish glare. The VC cross on MKS dial is good and is better than the JJF version but they are not very distinguiable.

I modified the rep by using:

1. a modified ETA 2892 from tag heuer, accuracy is good. daily difference= -1. I then modified the case and movement holder, crown.... etc to make the 2892 fit. MIYOTA sucks and is not gen-like in every aspect. I planned to reprint the datewheel as well but did not have the time to do this. Will do in March or April.

2. JJF dial paired with MKS inner bezel. I accidentally damaged the JJF inner bezel by spilling some water on it and the number 30 disappeared due to this fault. unexpectedly bad quality. This is the reason why I bought the MKS version.

3. re-polished the JJF case and bracelet. I plan to use the MKS buckle with a JJF bracelet and I have been searching for the MKS buckle.

Very interesting to hear that you managed to get the 2892 in there. Do you think this is a job most watchmakers could accomplish on the MK? Do make some extra date wheels ;-)

Which colour dial from MK did you choose?

Last edited:

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Many thanks for your insights , what do you think / how would you compare it with the XF Thin overseas please if i may ask ? cheers

XF vco is not even an option to consider even if you can manage to swap in a gen movement. Open case back+18k white gold construction make all 2000v reps look not close to gen. Making a Franken 2000v is entirely expensive. Forget it.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
I've just received (and approved) my qc for the MKS deep stream. Difficult to tell the bezel material from pictures but will gauge once in hand. I'll compare against my JJF black dial as well.
4a1f5a0f-9f47-44fd-8f34-885fa5158d78.jpg
1cb24f67-ebb9-4f64-a3cd-2cccf479d6dd.jpg

Man, try to measure the weight of both of the watches you got on hand and you will see if the materials are different. Titanium is lighter than steel.

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
Very interesting to hear that you managed to get the 2892 in there. Do you think this is a job most watchmakers could accomplish on the MK? Do make some extra date wheels ;-)

Which colour dial from MK did you choose?

It is not too hard. The most difficult step is to change the position of the dial feet to match 2892 and make them last for long. Don't use glue here as any adhesive won't last and is hazardous to the movement. The second hardest step would be to make the pinions to fit as you need tools to help you narrow the hole. If the hour hand does not fit (hole too big), its height will gradually decrease and hit the cross logo at noon.

fortunately I sorted out all these problems. 2892 is the way to go. No more miyota 9015.

One good thing about JJF is their dial construction: the gap between dial and datewheel is gen-like, while the MKS ones have insufficient distance between dial and datewheel. compare with gen and you will see what I am saying. It can be made gne-like by using longer dial feet. The reason for such difference is because MKS used 9019 instead of 9015.

Reactions: THXuk

repclouts

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/17
I've just received (and approved) my qc for the MKS deep stream. Difficult to tell the bezel material from pictures but will gauge once in hand. I'll compare against my JJF black dial as well.
4a1f5a0f-9f47-44fd-8f34-885fa5158d78.jpg
1cb24f67-ebb9-4f64-a3cd-2cccf479d6dd.jpg

Which dealer did you buy this from?