• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Recycled an old quartz watch and gave it a new dial (warning might be cringe)

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Hey RWI,

First check out out the pictures.

This is the result of recycling an old bulova watch I've had over 10 years and improving the face of it. Paired it with a very thin leather strap to match the 6mm profile of the watch that results in a watch that can slip under even the thinnest of cuffs.

There are 23 diamonds on the face which add to the look and distract you from the fact that there isn't a sub second hand. The reason is that the VD78 movement
I purchased to pair with it didn't fit in the case because it was 1mm to big. Either I find a case that is ~7mm thin, with a 37-38mm diameter or I just live with this watch. I am still not sure how I feel about the missing seconds hand. I gave it a sapphire crystal too.

i like it so I'll probably keep it like this, because finding a case with those specifications is too hard.

Reactions: Ronnie Hotdog

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
There are 23 diamonds on the face which add to the look and distract you from the fact that there isn't a sub second hand. The reason is that the VD78 movement
I purchased to pair with it didn't fit in the case because it was 1mm to big. Either I find a case that is ~7mm thin, with a 37-38mm diameter or I just live with this watch. I am still not sure how I feel about the missing seconds hand. I gave it a sapphire crystal too.

It's going to be great when you get the correct case. Maybe you should get it made? There are some people on the Forum who have got cases made by specs. If you look in the Patek and VC section there is a thread about a guy who has assembled vintage Patek and VC's and got the cases made for some of them.

As it is now i would suggest that you consider removing the seconds hand. First of all, this watch doesn't come with a central seconds hand, secondly the quartz movement make the seconds hand hack, giving away that it's a quartz movement. You can avoid that by removing it, like the gen doesn't have it. Then the only fault visible would be the lacking subseconds hand.

Reactions: XLR8R

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
I will check that out. I did buy a new case and plan on installing a quartz movement that has the sub seconds complication. It may not be smooth, but at least all the pieces will be there. Sadly the movement stem is at a different height that the crown, so I may use a dremel to file away the area where the dial sits.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia

finished product

Looks great! Congrats mate. The hands are much better. Same dauphine hands as the gen. Also i can see you got the subseconds working and got the stem installed. It's great.

Other than the case it's flawless. Wear it in good health.