• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Tourbillon - Defying gravity in mysterious ways

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Vacheron Constantin Traditionelle Tourbillon
- Defying gravity in mysterious ways​
Billede-30-01-2020-10-55-11.jpg

Oh my! Reviewing a watch like this, more questions emerge, than answers. Where do you even start? Enthralled by its captivating beauty I wonder, am I even justified giving my judgement on such a beautiful object? And what is this object? Is it merely a watch showing time? Is it a piece of art? Or is it a mystical mechanical component, made to defy one of the basic law of physics – gravity?

I don’t think this piece of art can be limited to be only one or the other. This is rather an example of when the whole is so much more than its individual parts. And when the boundaries of science, art and mystics are blurred.
Billede-30-01-2020-10-27-58.jpg

History of the tourbillon
When Abraham-Louis Breguet found out that gravity is the enemy of regularity in horological movements, as a answer he invented the tourbillon in 1801. To avoid the disturbance gravity caused by pulling down on the escapement mechanism, he encaged the whole escapement in a rotating cage. It rotated once in a minute, evening the effect of gravity’s pull and thereby giving the watch more precision. Although the effect was more dramatic in pocket watches, as they are in the same position most of the time. The effect on wrist watches being very subtle, as they are changing positions much of the time, but it’s still there.

History of VC Tourbillons (wristwatches)
Vacheron Constantin started producing tourbillons in wristwatches pretty late. Beginning with the reference 30050 in the 1990’s.

11984Fface_1483319_copy.jpg

It was rare, as were a few couple of tourbillon watches produced afterwards, often combined with other complications. Being very rare.
It’s in the 2000’s that they released their tourbillons to the public so to say.
One remarkable release in 2012 is the Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle 14-day tourbillon.

Vacheron14DayTourbillon_1.jpg

A very high quality (almost flawless) rep of this came in 2017, but the factory went out of business, why it is very rare to get hands on.

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Tourbillon (gen)
P2280027.jpg

P2280061.jpg
'

Facts first:
Released mid 2018. Case size: 41mm. Case thickness: 10.4mm. Priced in RG at: 118000USD, Platinum: 149000USD.

This watch had an hour and minutes hand, a 60-seconds tourbillon with a colored screw functioning as a second’s hand. The movement was the automatic caliber 2160 with a peripheral rotor, and running at 18000vph (2,5hz), 80 hours power reserve and decorated with the Geneva Seal.
The RG version had a gold dial and gold stick markers, while the platinum had a platinum dial and white gold stick markers. On the periphery was a grey minute track. They kept the dial clean without anything disturbing the beauty of the tourbillon cage. Which in itself is remarkably decorated with the Maltese Cross.

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Tourbillon - The rep
Billede-30-01-2020-10-26-31.jpg

I had the breathtaking experience of holding both the VC 14-day tourbillon and this VC Traditionelle Tourbillon in the hands and looking at it with a loupe at a watch Expo.
I had my doubts if I wanted to purchase this rep or not, given the flaws it has (mentioned below). But I bought it, because the looks captivated me. It’s like the girl you know she’s trouble, but you just can’t get your eyes off her. You just have to have her.
Billede-30-01-2020-10-27-52.jpg

Facts first:
Rep case diameter: 42mm
Rep case thickness: 12mm (without crystal), 13,6mm with crystal.
20200113-202146.jpg

20200113-202208.jpg

20200113-202233.jpg

Lug width: 22mm (confirmed)
Buckle width: 18mm (confirmed)
Strap: Black piece of garbage, as expected.

Case
The watch is heavy in the hands and on the wrist.
Gold color and quality: Gold color is a bit more red than fx the rose gold color of ZF, but less than the cheaper looking one’s with too much copper in them.
20191217-164830.jpg

Finishing: Is good, it’s flawless and mirror polished on the whole case.

Case shape and size is different than the gen. The gen is almost 2 mm slimmer and 1 mm smaller in diameter and has a more “slim look” as the bezel is thinner and the lugs are lighter and thinner. The same is the case for the crown.
The case is exactly the same as the VC 14-day power reserve tourbillon. In that sense they haven’t made a case for this watch, but just used the old one it seems.
Billede-30-01-2020-10-48-23.jpg

Billede-30-01-2020-10-48-32.jpg

Dial
Dial is very minimalistic in its look, exactly like the gen, with rose gold applied markers and a silvery grey minute’s track, which gives a great contrast. The dial has a shimmery surface, which looks very good under spots and in restaurants.
Billede-30-01-2020-10-45-09.jpg

The Vacheron Constantin cross and logo is crisp and slim like the gen.
Billede-30-01-2020-10-56-18.jpg

Hands
Are double facetted Dauphine-type hands in rose gold like the gen. The central pinion is silver like the gen. A nice detail.
Billede-30-01-2020-10-45-55.jpg
They have put the text “Pt950” on the dial at 4:30, which is only there in the platinum version. Although this is not a big deal, as It is very small.

Tourbillon cage
Is well decorated, although there are some details that are not the same, it is still very convincing. One of the more prominent difference being: The maltese cross has 4 screws in gen, the reps are lacking two of them. One of them should’ve been dark grey to appear as a second’s hand screw, but it isn’t. I know this feature is there in the platinum version rep, which has a blue screw like gen.

Crystal
Definitely AR coated and is of good enough quality.

Movement
Billede-30-01-2020-10-46-26.jpg

Is a manual wound Asian seagull tourbillon movement. The gen has a peripheral rotor. Off course, which is an impossibility as there are no available tourbillon movements with a peripheral rotor for reps.
Decoration: Is the same as the old version rep of the 14-day power reserve tourbillon. The movement is nicely decorated and looks convincing in itself. It has correct engravings without spelling mistakes, it has the Geneva stripes, the Geneva seal logo and the tourbillon is visible at 6. But it looks so good that you don't care much:
Billede-30-01-2020-11-00-03.jpg

Bonus points:
Here I would give special mention to the deployant. What a genius person who designed iy. It’s beautiful, elegant and very functional. It’s made of two foldable parts, one for each strap – here comes the ingenuity – they made it longer for the strap at 6 and shorter for the strap at 12. You can therefore use the same strap lengths you usually use with pin buckles! I normally use 110/70 for my pin buckle straps, and modify these making the 6 o’clock part longer and the 12 part shorter to make sure the deployant doesn’t nag and Is centralized on the wrist. But here I can use a 110/70 strap on the deployant!
Billede-30-01-2020-10-33-23.jpg

IMG-3354.jpg

Major flaws
- case size
- case and lugs shape
- manual wound movement
- lacks the seconds hand screw (not a flaw in the platinum version)

Minor flaws
- “Pt950” print on dial, which is off course not a flaw in the SS rep of the platinum version

Conclusion
Billede-30-01-2020-10-58-01.jpg

I won’t state the obvious or repeat the flaws here as I usually do. Because I won’t treat this watch like a rep of the gen (!). I would just like it to be seen for the watch it is. This is that kind of rep, and that’s the reason why I bought it knowing the flaws.
For a moment let’s imagine, that there was no gen to compare this watch to. And you know what: There is no gen. There are no 118.000USD on the account to spend on the gen. And the proposed game isn’t difficult to play. There are very few who will ever see the gen, let alone hold it in the hands. So convincing is this “rep” that it would need someone with the whole Vacheron watch catalogue memorized, to point out “this isn’t one they made and therefore it’s a rep”. And I can only confirm how visually convincing it is as a watch, because I had the chance to hold the gen in rose gold and look detailed at it.
Billede-30-01-2020-10-34-52.jpg
Billede-30-01-2020-10-32-53.jpg

We have at hand a well-balanced watch, that wears exquisitely on the wrist.

The dancing mystical tourbillon and the ticking sound is such a symphony, encased in such a stunning way. It appeals not only to the thinker inside, but also the creative being, appreciating artistic beauty.
This gravity-defying mechanical, mystical looking object is more captivating to look at, than the functional value it has. Some go so far to call it the most pointless complication. But then again, can’t beauty have a value in itself. Does everything need to have some kind of function to have value?
Human kind has always been attracted towards the beauty of shining gold. The warmness and shine of the rose gold is so perfectly harmonious with this watch, that It almost feels like it could never have been different. I personally therefore prefer the rose gold version of it.
Billede-30-01-2020-10-32-48.jpg

The watch is refined in its appearance: It has a clean dial and a very elegant, non-complicated way of showing its complex feature: The tourbillon.
Being placed at 6, in a symmetric dial with no needless features, the watch is so light on the eye. And that is what Vacheron Constantin does so well and better than most in the industry. They don’t overdo the design. It is, as they heard the mantra: “The watch is complex enough having a tourbillon, we don’t need to overload the dial to make it look complex”.

Billede-30-01-2020-10-42-35.jpg

The questions answers themselves really.
Billede-30-01-2020-10-34-08.jpg

Last edited:

m1994

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/7/17
You don't have an idea how much I enjoyed this review, at the level of a hodinkee one.

I say it in every review you do, but you are making these reviews a pain for my wallet, you show the flaws of the watch but you make a lot of emphasis on the attributes of it!

Thank you very much for the effort and dedication, we expect more reviews like this one!

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
You don't have an idea how much I enjoyed this review, at the level of a hodinkee one.

I say it in every review you do, but you are making these reviews a pain for my wallet, you show the flaws of the watch but you make a lot of emphasis on the attributes of it!

Thank you very much for the effort and dedication, we expect more reviews like this one!
Your kind mate. Good to hear that you enjoyed it.

Haha yeah but I like to focus on being realistic on what’s possible and what’s at hand.

Thanks mate. These VC reviews don’t get much love as it’s not a popular brands as others. But I will maybe make a review when I receive my 5089G.

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
As always, an awesome review !

I don't like the tourbillon cage, but that has nothing to do with being a rep, I don't like the gen one either :lol:

But that deployant buckle ... it's a beauty !

Sorry I've missed it, but it was posted in the "Other brands" general category, so I've moved it to the Vacheron Constantin sub forum instead, that should help out a bit.

on my RWG review and here, I've also taken the habit of tagging previously interested people, that also help spreading your good words :)

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
As always, an awesome review !

I don't like the tourbillon cage, but that has nothing to do with being a rep, I don't like the gen one either :lol:

But that deployant buckle ... it's a beauty !

Sorry I've missed it, but it was posted in the "Other brands" general category, so I've moved it to the Vacheron Constantin sub forum instead, that should help out a bit.

on my RWG review and here, I've also taken the habit of tagging previously interested people, that also help spreading your good words :)

Oh i didn't realize that. Thanks for moving it here :)

The tourbillon cage they've made with the maltese cross maybe therefore.

Yeah. I know of some people that are interested in VC and some who might enjoy just the review. NF1965 Dr Fun Socks _DC_ C Master semperfi55 jai04 Xabo VMSG HorologyFreak gigi77 klockjohan BIONONE majwilliams0308 xpresso Almog rek00001 KilowattHour theflyingdutchman n0bby Godfathar maison888 fake64 tangokilo Cheeps TheAlchemist BustaPart

Last edited:

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
How could i have missed another astonishing review from you mate... like the gents above already said valuable content - very informative, very objective with the right amount of subjectivity and not to forget those awesome shots of this bargain - compared to the gen of course.

While I don‘t like the case shape of the gen (maybe it is the bezel that puts me off... i dont know) i have to say that i really like the ongoing trend of improving the chinese tourbillon movements.

I only can have a guess but that might come from the lack of custom clone movements of the various gen in house calibres - but the availability of the sea gull base tourbillon on the other hand that comes close enough visually to imitate the much higher priced gen counterparts

anyways - i appreciate the time you spend on the contribution to the forum!

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Got to say you have gone above and beyond again mate! Great effort and a great watch! I too am a sucker for going to the ad, trying on a watch and then ordering the rep on my way out the door :p thanks for the mention and enjoy this beauty! Ive got the malte tourby and your right, its an incredibly well designed deployant. Credit is due to the design team at vacheron.

Also glaude is wrong, its a fantastic cage for a tourbillon!

Last edited:

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Oh i didn't realize that. Thanks for moving it here :)

The tourbillon cage they've made with the maltese cross maybe therefore.

Yeah. I know of some people that are interested in VC and some who might enjoy just the review. NF1965 Dr Fun Socks _DC_ C Master semperfi55 jai04 Xabo VMSG HorologyFreak gigi77 klockjohan BIONONE majwilliams0308 xpresso Almog rek00001 KilowattHour theflyingdutchman n0bby Godfathar maison888 fake64 tangokilo Cheeps TheAlchemist BustaPart

Thank you for tagging me and for your time and care in the review of this stunning piece!

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
How could i have missed another astonishing review from you mate... like the gents above already said valuable content - very informative, very objective with the right amount of subjectivity and not to forget those awesome shots of this bargain - compared to the gen of course.

While I don‘t like the case shape of the gen (maybe it is the bezel that puts me off... i dont know) i have to say that i really like the ongoing trend of improving the chinese tourbillon movements.

I only can have a guess but that might come from the lack of custom clone movements of the various gen in house calibres - but the availability of the sea gull base tourbillon on the other hand that comes close enough visually to imitate the much higher priced gen counterparts

anyways - i appreciate the time you spend on the contribution to the forum!

Thanks mate. They are doing a great job with these tourbillon reps and decorating the tourbillon cages. It's definitely a good time for us.

Reactions: BIONONE

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Got to say you have gone above and beyond again mate! Great effort and a great watch! I too am a sucker for going to the ad, trying on a watch and then ordering the rep on my way out the door :p thanks for the mention and enjoy this beauty! Ive got the malte tourby and your right, its an incredibly well designed deployant. Credit is due to the design team at vacheron.

Also glaude is wrong, its a fantastic cage for a tourbillon!

Haha yeah, it's just incredible what you can get for the money with reps. Yeah VC make's timeless designs. It's incredible.

One piece i absolutely love and is in my eye's one of the most beautiful watches made:
Vacheron-Constantin-Les-Cabinotiers-La-Musique-du-Temps-Collection.jpg

It's a minute repeater. But even without the minute repeater function i would love to buy a rep of this design.

Thanks mate.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
I really have the urge to get back into tourbys. This is not helping lol.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Last edited: