• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Historiques American 1921 project

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
This was incredibly fun and would do it again. Not a professional job but considering I used the incorrect 4400 clone or whatever, but instead the movement from a WWII watch. AS1130 to be exact, straight from Armenia! It makes this look retro, vintage or whatever it is it matches the faded dial.

Made a few mistakes along the way but it worked out fine in the long run. Overall the biggest success was mating the movement with the dial because it did take some adjusting. The biggest mistake, breaking the crown... had to use another one from a watch store. I can still improve this by using a custom made movement ring, fixing the crown, and using better quality hands that look more to gen spec. Otherwise, Pretty happy with how it turned out. Next project is a 5164a with a gen dial.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
Well done! Looking great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

padorkous

Known Member
13/1/17
This was incredibly fun and would do it again. Not a professional job but considering I used the incorrect 4400 clone or whatever, but instead the movement from a WWII watch. AS1130 to be exact, straight from Armenia! It makes this look retro, vintage or whatever it is it matches the faded dial.

Made a few mistakes along the way but it worked out fine in the long run. Overall the biggest success was mating the movement with the dial because it did take some adjusting. The biggest mistake, breaking the crown... had to use another one from a watch store. I can still improve this by using a custom made movement ring, fixing the crown, and using better quality hands that look more to gen spec. Otherwise, Pretty happy with how it turned out. Next project is a 5164a with a gen dial.

Looks awesome! Could you please list the mods and the parts used?

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Really nice job, man -- looks great. Now get a new strap that matches that killer dial!!

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Here is a list of parts:

Gen dial - $1k
AS 1130 movement - $30
replica case, strap, and buckle are from the watch shown on page 1 (non-TD watch (probably can get it on DH) - $400
Hands from ebay and Cousins - $15
Replacement rose gold crown (not to gen spec because I broke it) - 5$
Plastic movement ring shaved to fit the watch without play - 5$
Labor - free

Last edited:

W47chl0v3r

PM for 5402 inquiries
Supporter
Certified
29/8/19
Build is completed and sufficient for my standards. Obviously this is not to gen specifications and contains a old movement, but it makes me happy. After breaking the crown that came with the watch, I had to MacGyver another one together from random pieces. Matches the worn look of the dial. Movement is manual wind just like gen, and keeps OK time. Not serviced and not waterproofed. Please enjoy my wrist shot.

nanners13

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/9/20
Excited to see where this goes, this watch is one of my favorites.