• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The refined charm of a 1950's Vacheron

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
Just wanted to share another of my projects; in a similar vein as my vintage Patek builds, this one is another example from the late 1940's/early 1950's period.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the reference would be for this one; it's probably closest to a ref 4217... Best guess, anyways.

The project started with the dial (as most of my builds begin life), and progressed from there. The movement was probably the biggest challenge; the V454 in this one looked clean and in good working order when I purchased it. Even upon receiving it, it looked great. But when I took the dial and hands off, I discovered heavy rust in the keyless works. I sent the movement to my watch guy who worked on it off and on for 9 months; bless his heart :) The movement spent a lot of time soaking in a bath of penetrating oil, and finally the few rusted screws holding the bridges on came loose, and things could be cleaned up.

So, this was another long lesson in patience... But one that paid off in the end.

Here's where it all started; that beautiful guilloche dial with champleve signature. In surprisingly great shape for it's age...
48723056863_fd52a71234_b.jpg

35mm steel case, custom fabricated...
48723564517_f15df52801_b.jpg

Slim, elegant profile...
48723564572_bc6085ca34_b.jpg

And that gorgeous V454... Not perfect with plenty of signs of age... But it has a charm all it's own. Shame it's hidden behind that caseback...
48727978483_62ae09b11c_b.jpg

Easily one of my faves! If anything because it's a little obscure and different...

Thanks for looking!
//ubi

csthe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/13
Wow mate! This is incredible and so unique
Please share more of your Vacheron projects please!

ubi

Known Member
9/9/19
Thank you kindly, gents! Much appreciated!

Sadly, this is my only Vacheron build.... Seems things for VC are a little more obscure. Had one other project that I would love to do, but I just never see the parts for it turn up :(

Reactions: csthe