• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VC Overseas 4500V with Gen Blue dial vs BP!

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
I had the opportunity to purchase a gen dial on M2M here for $200 - something of a dream. The dial from VC is an amazing deep blue, and the rings by the hour markers are created with some sort of diamond machining process that really reflects light in amazing ways that's hard to capture on camera. I believe the reason this popped up is because the maltese cross is a bit misaligned (crooked to the left), but I would rather have that than a rep dial!!!

Vu2WHG.jpg

Vu2Eyy.jpg

Vu2Z8a.jpg

VuxBBg.jpg

Vux5eR.jpg

Vux3vd.jpg

A big shoutout to yodog for helping me to install the dial. I had read that BP modeled theirs after the gen, so it was a risk to try to install it on their watch. He said that the dial is much thicker than the BP, so he had to shave quite a bit off the bottom. Also, the dial indices are a bit higher too, so the hands have to be bent up a bit to accomodate. However, it DOES fit!!!
VKW7de.jpg

VbAYB3.jpg

VbAkqX.jpg

Here is a comparison pic comparing the BP to the gen dial while installed:
VbAMvf.jpg

BP is on top, gen on bottom:
Vu2beq.jpg

BP's dial - while having a nice blue shade and sunburst in its own right - doesn't come close to the gen dial. Gen is almost a black dial with blue lacquer on top with no sunburst on the inner dial - only the ring by the hour markers has a slight sunburst. The quality of the printing on the logo is top notch, and the white gold indices really catch the light a whole lot better. The dial beauty cannot be captured by camera - I mean that sincerely.

VbyLsA.jpg

Vby7Ie.jpg

VbyTiK.jpg

And I bought a gen rubber strap which had to be slightly sanded down to fit.
VbASe8.jpg

VbAgHU.jpg

VbA8yD.jpg

VbAw8h.jpg

VbAGBs.jpg

VbA2ep.jpg

I am noticing that the crystal itself from BP is very heavily scratched, so I'm gonna have to replace it with a prof crystal! Besides, this dial would be perfect for a 2xAR treatment!

C&C highly welcome!

I now have gen dials for Patek and VC, I just need a gen dial for an AP 15450!! (15400 is too big for my wrist I think).

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Wow I cannot believe it has been a year since originally posting this.

The original dial above was not thinned as thin as it could go. I've been through the ringer with this watch, and do NOT recommend taking a genuine dial installation project on unless you are willing to lose your entire investment. Here is a timeline of what occurred:

1. The seconds hand began catching on the bent minute hand. I had tried to bend the hands back myself into a salvagable configuration but it just wouldn't work right.
2. I sent the watch on to another watch smith to be looked at. The movement broke so I had to replace it. He could not get it working correctly either. The dial was just TOO THICK.
3. I removed the seconds hand and wore it, but man, it sucked. The hour hand was also scratching the dial, so I wore it less and less. I considered the project a failed venture but could not muster the courage to sell it.
4. A BRAND NEW blue dial showed up on eBay. I considered it my final chance. I offered a reasonable price and the seller accepted. I now had to begin VERSION 2.0 of my project.
5. I bought brand new hands from BP
6. I reached out to legend to see if he could provide his assistance on this project. There are only a few people in the world who have as much patience and expertise as legend, and I considered it worth the customs risk to have him work on my watch to get it working.
7. After sending him the parts, he was able to get to work. I sent him the following parts:
- Existing project with new Miyota 9015
- New genuine dial
- Old BP dial
- New BP hands
8. After looking and seeing what he could accomplish, I then agreed to him doing the following work:
- Service, clean existing movement
- Reinstall the DW overlay, as it was misaligned
- Using the old gen dial as a reference, thin the new dial as thin as it would go. He did not have to bend the hands AT ALL.
- The BP case is 11.75mm thick, and he said he could thin it to gen-spec at 11.04mm.

Now, the watch is completely working and absolutely brilliant. The hands are a bit scuffed and so is the crystal, so that will need replacing, but for now I have a working genuine dial VC overseas with what I consider to be the most beautiful blue dial in modern horology.

6Sj1k.jpg

^^ with genuine rubber strap
6SZKD.jpg

6Gcts.jpg

6PPeS.jpg

6PQmJ.jpg

6P81D.jpg

6P6HY.jpg

​​​​​​​Very soon this will be going to prof for a 2xAR crystal.

Last edited:

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
This is an exciting build, if you ever get tired.... happy to take it LOL

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Thank you - agreed!!! I've sent the watch off to prof for a 2xAR crystal :)

Congratulations - on building this watch, it's marvellous. I would love to be able to own the genuine and perhaps I will one day!
If you do ever wish you to sell this art that you have managed to find and improve upon, please send me a PM I will 100% be interested.

But let's be honest! Why would you! But if you do... haha

Cheers and you enjoy it when it gets back, please post some pictures :)

Etretic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/1/17
Australia
Amazing build mate. I'm currently sitting on the waiting list at my local boutique to purchase a gen; fell in love with it ever since I saw it in a boutique for the first time a few years back (before it was waiting list item...).

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Amazing build mate. I'm currently sitting on the waiting list at my local boutique to purchase a gen; fell in love with it ever since I saw it in a boutique for the first time a few years back (before it was waiting list item...).

It's not a waiting list item. You can walk into any VC Boutique and buy one today (well, not today... Corona) but that might be different in AUS. Here in the UK they're available @ London at least 10+ of them.

I tried one on before corona and was going to buy one. The only thing that put me off was the 2 year warranty (wtf is that on a £17k watch) and the servicing costs for a 3 hand watch and date wheel is £710 + delivery charges + £260 for corrections + Parts.

Also fun fact, I negotiated it down from £17.4 to £14.8 - so that shows you it isn't a waiting list item as they don't move on items with waiting lists. But the 2 year low service interval and 2 year warranty really did put me off. Spending a minimum of £1k every 2 years on servicing (and praying it doesn't need any part replacements) is just too much to me. It's not the money, it's more the principle.

Either way it's a dream watch! haha and everytime I see one I regret it :p maybe one day I'll get one.

Also did you know, the seconds hand doesn't hack! It's the same with Patek... no hacking seconds hand.

Last edited:

Etretic

2/1/17
Australia
Interesting to hear, thanks mate. Definitely a waiting list item in Australia as we only just got our first Boutique here... Do you know if VC offer extended warranty? Might rethink the local purchase and grab one when I'm in London next.

Reactions: Sonofalich

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
this is THE blue dial watch I want. Period. However it requires extreme luck to source a gen dial like this. I am seriously drooling. Maybe I need to add it to my gen list, along with a Datograph...

k94n99

29/3/20
I love this build, would also be interested in buying if you’d ever be willing to sell ????

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Haha you guys are too funny. I likely will not be selling this one for awhile.

I've installed a prof crystal in this bad boy, it's over the top now.

Reactions: Sonofalich

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Haha you guys are too funny. I likely will not be selling this one for awhile.

I've installed a prof crystal in this bad boy, it's over the top now.

I'm sorry... but you are not a nice person.

You can't say comments like that and then not show pictures, that is called "cruel and unusual punishment". You should be ashamed! ;) haha

When you get chance, please show some pictures and I hope it's lovely! You've been very lucky, wear it in good health and most importantly enjoy!
(I'm only a bit jealous! haha)

Reactions: majwilliams0308

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
I'm sorry... but you are not a nice person.

You can't say comments like that and then not show pictures, that is called "cruel and unusual punishment". You should be ashamed! ;) haha

When you get chance, please show some pictures and I hope it's lovely! You've been very lucky, wear it in good health and most importantly enjoy!
(I'm only a bit jealous! haha)

You know, you're right. The crystal is stunning, though. Unfortunately, I think the crystal is pressing a bit on the seconds pinion when the watch is facing dial down as it stops after about 10 seconds.

However, it works perfectly for now besides that so soon I'll be sending it back to legend for servicing. On to the glamour pics!

TMgE3.jpg

Tsz4D.jpg

TMcrn.jpg

TMVLE.jpg

TsZ3s.jpg

TsjyY.jpg

Ts3ck.jpg

TsKmo.jpg

TshCJ.jpg

Reactions: museguy and tdx18

museguy

19/10/12
You know, you're right. The crystal is stunning, though. Unfortunately, I think the crystal is pressing a bit on the seconds pinion when the watch is facing dial down as it stops after about 10 seconds.

However, it works perfectly for now besides that so soon I'll be sending it back to legend for servicing. On to the glamour pics!

TsKmo.jpg

Dear majwilliams0308

Happy New Year !

Hope you are wearing your beauty celebrating the New Year.

Cheers

Last edited:

James4sk8

Horology Curious
23/4/21
It appears in your latest pics of your watch you somehow managed to straighten out the cross motive on the bezel to align more central with the straps how did you achieve this? I just received my bp 4500v