• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Whoa! 65 Day Power Reserve!! SIHH 2019

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
This is such a huge deal in horology -- and goes to serve the debate of whether or not its worthwhile to have your watch on a winder for two months. Despite the fact that this piece is hand winding, it has a variable speed mechanism which allows the wearer to take it off and two months later, the perpetual calendar settings stay up to snuff:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robert...00-twin-beat-perpetual-calendar/#ea4b94d689e1

"To begin with the Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Twin Beat Perpetual Calendar watch is revolutionary in that it can be adjusted according to the wearer’s activity levels with the press of a button. This means that the patented system can offer more power reserve than the “stated” four days (when active) and gives up to 65 days of power reserve when in standby mode. Essentially, when the 42mm platinum watch is being worn, it beats at a high frequency of 5 Hz (36,000 vibrations per hour) in order to accurately track the hours and minutes, and the perpetual calendar functions, including date, month, and leap year. However, when the watch is taken off the wrist, the wearer can switch frequencies so that the movement slows down to 1.2 Hz (8,640 vibrations per hour) in order to continue operating with a power reserve of at least 65 days."

Will never be repped, but exciting nonetheless ...

rolled85

Horology Curious
13/5/18
An absolutely brilliant movement but the dial looks like some Hublot garbage... Especially not a fan of the red text.

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
The dial is hideous - specifically the bottom half, but it's an amazing achievement nonetheless. I'd definitely wear it if I had the chance!

Rawbe

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/15
CA, USA
That movement is genius! However I will agree with others, the dial could have used a bit more work. The case-back looks great though!

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Wow, I'm impressed. I don't mind the dial either and I usually don't like that style.

MR. Blaze

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
14/2/17
Germany
Awesome new development indeed. Despite some disappointing items (AP, Hublot), the conference brings many other awesome new watches and concept! 65 reserve is crazy!

Reactions: vcappp