• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vacheron Constantin Overseas: Gen vs. Rep Comparison

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
As promised, this is the side by side photo comparison of the genuine and replica versions of the Vacheron Constantin Overseas. To make things a bit interesting, I will not state ahead of time which is the gen and which is the rep. I have however kept the relative position of each of them constant between photos. Enjoy.

Reactions: LeBron

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Gen right based on cross and a/r... Still impressive.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Thx for that, first time to see :)
The rep is the bigger one, on the left ? The finish and assembling on the right is better.

For those who own the rep, they know the PBJK mention on the bracelet is a tell too.
The more detailed ship engraving on the right tells gen.
I'm a bit confused , I've always thought the gen was bigger, but your pics say the contrary.

I'm surprized that finally the rep is pretty good vs the gen.

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
wow some small differences but really close....i wish i liked the model more. great comparo thanks :)

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I'm not sure there is such a dramatic size difference, nothing one could tell without doing a side by side comparison. The crown is however taller on the rep than the gen.

Reactions: ktw0801

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Seen this first on the phone, the differences are a little more obvious on a full size screen... Not to take away from the rep but the gens finishing is excellent (look at the polish insides of the band and the edges of the links at the clasp, they are perfect.)

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
god for the price of a gen everything has to be perfect ( a agree btw it looks really perfect ). for $9k+ it has to be...

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
The square date window and the font on the left is is the only tell. A rep just wouldn't have a trapezoidal window and a date font that fills it perfect. Gen on right.

Oh yah, gen VCs and pateks are designed to be super flat. So right again.

I would like to add that even with the flaws everyone is pointing out this is a very good replication of a watch. Real good.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
Seen this first on the phone, the differences are a little more obvious on a full size screen... Not to take away from the rep but the gens finishing is excellent (look at the polish insides of the band and the edges of the links at the clasp, they are perfect.)

Yes, the inside of the band on the rep isn't that nicely finished, and it seems to interfere with the clasp closing crisply. Since taking the photos, I've been filing down the side of the bracelet that meets at the clasp, so that they close better.

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
not the only, the crown size, the cross size, the a/r, the second hand length, the distance from the dial edge to the marker edge, the angle of the cuts on the bracelet, case thickness, the finishing of the engraving on the back... but the rep is still a good looking rep in its own right. Good luck finding another gen owner besides the op, I have NEVER seen anyone wearing one of these (I had 2 reps, black and white, so I would have noticed).

clasps are the bane of almost every good rep...

Carib

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/10
Wow, the gen is really...perfect!! Congrats, honeybear!!!

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I'm not sure the gen has A/R, at least it doesn't have an obvious tint on the glass... perhaps it is A/R coated only on the inside? One difference is that the dial on the gen is much more glossy, and the rep has a matte finish on the dial. Perhaps that accounts for the crisper look which people are interpreting as A/R coating?

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
single sided a/r (inside of the crystal), makes a huge differance on flat crystals.

namjah

Horology Curious
6/10/07
Thanks for the review. I want the rep of this watch so bad but the flaws bother me too much. The weird looking cross makes me cringe.

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Silix has a dial with the correct cross, honestly these are very nice in the hand. It's easy to see flaws in the macro photos, but not in real life.

warsurfer

Known Member
17/4/10
assuming I do not have a side-by-side comparison and have no knowledge of the size and placement of the cross and digits, IMO, there are still 2 pretty big tells

1. the fit and finishing of the piece on the right is impeccable (too much gap from the case to the bracelet for the rep)

2. the colour of the lume markers and hands are off on the rep

melswatch

I'm Pretty Popular
21/5/10
I have the rep and LOVE it but holy cow those lume markers on the GEN (right) are freaking gorgeous...

BTW - the easiest way to tell the difference is the detail in the hull of the ship on the GEN and complete absence of it on the REP.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
Thanks for the review. I want the rep of this watch so bad but the flaws bother me too much. The weird looking cross makes me cringe.

I agree with supermanx, that the flaws are not so obvious in real life, the macro shots do accentuate every small difference.

Yes, the gen is nicer, but for about 35x the price of the rep, I certainly hope so... otherwise, I would feel like a real chump for getting the gen.

This comparison shouldn't turn you off the replica, it is a wonderful value at $260, and nobody, except a fellow RWI member will be able to call you on this one.

Reactions: Tomasz