Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

Vacheron Constantin Overseas: Gen vs. Rep Comparison

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacheron Constantin Overseas: Gen vs. Rep Comparison

As promised, this is the side by side photo comparison of the genuine and replica versions of the Vacheron Constantin Overseas. To make things a bit interesting, I will not state ahead of time which is the gen and which is the rep. I have however kept the relative position of each of them constant between photos. Enjoy.

Reps: Patek Philippe 3520D, 5119, 5120, 5127, Nautilus Jumbo; Vacheron Constantin Overseas, Overseas (Deep Stream), Patrimony Chronograph, Patrimony Contemporaine.

Sold: A. Lange and Sohne Datograph; Audemars Piguet 15300; Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Tourbillon; Patek Philippe 5053, 5107.

State of the collection | Dressy chronographs | Dressy sports watches | Low-cost dress watches | Comparison of chinese tourbillon movements

Gen on the right?

Comment

Gen right based on cross and a/r... Still impressive.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by supermanx, post: 723540
        Gen right based on cross and a/r... Still impressive.
        Same here based on DW and swiss made.

Nice rep, earlier version was great too.

Comment

Thx for that, first time to see
          The rep is the bigger one, on the left ? The finish and assembling on the right is better.

For those who own the rep, they know the PBJK mention on the bracelet is a tell too.
          The more detailed ship engraving on the right tells gen.
          I'm a bit confused , I've always thought the gen was bigger, but your pics say the contrary.

I'm surprized that finally the rep is pretty good vs the gen.
          Retired staffer. Sorry don't expect immediate answers to your messages.

Comment

wow some small differences but really close....i wish i liked the model more. great comparo thanks

Comment

I'm not sure there is such a dramatic size difference, nothing one could tell without doing a side by side comparison. The crown is however taller on the rep than the gen.
              Reps: Patek Philippe 3520D, 5119, 5120, 5127, Nautilus Jumbo; Vacheron Constantin Overseas, Overseas (Deep Stream), Patrimony Chronograph, Patrimony Contemporaine.

Sold: A. Lange and Sohne Datograph; Audemars Piguet 15300; Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Tourbillon; Patek Philippe 5053, 5107.

State of the collection | Dressy chronographs | Dressy sports watches | Low-cost dress watches | Comparison of chinese tourbillon movements

Comment

Seen this first on the phone, the differences are a little more obvious on a full size screen... Not to take away from the rep but the gens finishing is excellent (look at the polish insides of the band and the edges of the links at the clasp, they are perfect.)

Comment

god for the price of a gen everything has to be perfect ( a agree btw it looks really perfect ). for $9k+ it has to be...

Comment

The square date window and the font on the left is is the only tell. A rep just wouldn't have a trapezoidal window and a date font that fills it perfect. Gen on right.

Oh yah, gen VCs and pateks are designed to be super flat. So right again.

I would like to add that even with the flaws everyone is pointing out this is a very good replication of a watch. Real good.

eh?
                    "Modding = turning a $100 rep with flaws into a $500 rep with a few less flaws"
                    "There is only so much I, you or any self-styled "expert" can really "know."" donaldejose
                    "frig, wtf?? Really man." sub4me
                    "If I were a Pam guy, or if I traveled, or if I had money, I'd be all over this!!" levelmanroger
                    "Frig you could have at least posted a LESS hot tranny" JC7
                    "The one who dares to tell me that he won't doggystyle "her" is gay or a liar......" NSTNS
                    "that one is frigpiggin cool" trksh-bzr

Comment

Originally posted by supermanx, post: 723585
                      Seen this first on the phone, the differences are a little more obvious on a full size screen... Not to take away from the rep but the gens finishing is excellent (look at the polish insides of the band and the edges of the links at the clasp, they are perfect.)
                      Yes, the inside of the band on the rep isn't that nicely finished, and it seems to interfere with the clasp closing crisply. Since taking the photos, I've been filing down the side of the bracelet that meets at the clasp, so that they close better.

Comment

not the only, the crown size, the cross size, the a/r, the second hand length, the distance from the dial edge to the marker edge, the angle of the cuts on the bracelet, case thickness, the finishing of the engraving on the back... but the rep is still a good looking rep in its own right. Good luck finding another gen owner besides the op, I have NEVER seen anyone wearing one of these (I had 2 reps, black and white, so I would have noticed).

clasps are the bane of almost every good rep...

Comment

Wow, the gen is really...perfect!! Congrats, honeybear!!!

Comment

I'm not sure the gen has A/R, at least it doesn't have an obvious tint on the glass... perhaps it is A/R coated only on the inside? One difference is that the dial on the gen is much more glossy, and the rep has a matte finish on the dial. Perhaps that accounts for the crisper look which people are interpreting as A/R coating?

Comment

single sided a/r (inside of the crystal), makes a huge differance on flat crystals.

Comment

Working...
                              X