• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Questions about UN reps from Puretime

BostonSportsFan1001

Horology Curious
26/11/17
I’ve been a fan of Ulysse Nardin for yrs and most ok all seem to be way out of my price range. I can pay off all my CCs then go online and do two of the following 1)spend $5k for a genuine preowned one and take yrs to pay it off or 2) Go the vintage route and hope I get one to that won’t need hundreds of dollars in service cost. So it brings me to my main question I’m thinking of getting a UN rep presumably the Maxi Marine Diver from Puretime but I have no idea how the quality is. I just need to know if Puretime makes good UN reps? Or are there other sites that sell better reps? I do apologize if I came off rude.

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
I’ve been a fan of Ulysse Nardin for yrs and most ok all seem to be way out of my price range. I can pay off all my CCs then go online and do two of the following 1)spend $5k for a genuine preowned one and take yrs to pay it off or 2) Go the vintage route and hope I get one to that won’t need hundreds of dollars in service cost. So it brings me to my main question I’m thinking of getting a UN rep presumably the Maxi Marine Diver from Puretime but I have no idea how the quality is. I just need to know if Puretime makes good UN reps? Or are there other sites that sell better reps? I do apologize if I came off rude.

Hey mate, welcome to the forum.
Here is a solid advice. Reps are unreliable...unlike GEN. They also go down in value. You will lose money fixing it, modding it and even reselling it. We do this for joys and fun because we love watches.

If you’re running into financial hard times - i suggest you get none of the above. Sort that out first. Once you got a bit of fat cash, then start looking again into the watch hobby mate.

Good luck & take care.

(Apologies if I came off as rude)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BostonSportsFan1001

Horology Curious
26/11/17
I actually came pretty close to taking out the old CC and buying a genuine one yesterday but then I realized I’d be liked 60 the I paid it off lol. I’m trying to scratch that itch.

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
Dont do it dude. Nothing worst than buying a rep watch that is now broken, your CC bill is due and your bank balance is triple digits. For a gen? Dont even think about it.

BostonSportsFan1001

Horology Curious
26/11/17
Dont do it dude. Nothing worst than buying a rep watch that is now broken, your CC bill is due and your bank balance is triple digits. For a gen? Dont even think about it.

I won’t only way I’ll manage is if I have the cash handy I don’t have any higher end watch stores near me so 95% of what I’d want would have to be bought online. I would have no problem using a CC to buy a used gen for $5k? Then paying it all off as long as I have the money set aside to pay it off the following week.

Reactions: AlphaProt

DavidModic

13/9/15
EU

Hi and welcome.

As mentioned before replica watches are somewhat unreliable, but they cost a fraction of the price of the gen. You can get them to a really decent enough standard, but you need to work on them. I see them as kit sports cars. You get sports car performance for a fraction of the price, but you need to be able to assemble and maintain.

I have a mix of gens and reps, and have noticed that I don’t really wear gens much, because I am constantly worrying about them. It burdens me that there is a watch that costs about as much as a midtier used car on my wrist.

I think that most of us look at the reps as sort of disposable items. You buy, mod, maintain, repair, fix flaws, repair again, and once it breaks once too many times, you chuck it in the parts drawer and move on. They are not an investment, really. Gens sort of are. That said, I agree with down_under - it is not really the best strategy to buy a non-essential item and squeeze yourself too tight financially.

There seems to be a misconception in your post. Puretime do not build any watches. They just resell them. Most TD’s sell watches from the same builders/factories. It is more about who you are comfortable with, not who can get what others cannot. So your question should not be whether Puretime does good UN reps, but whether UN reps are any good in general. For that you can visit the specific sub-forum (which I see you already did) and start reading. Remember, hundreds of thousands of users here, it is likely that some of them have similar interests and questions to yours.

Good luck.

Reactions: AlphaProt