• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Got to stop buying cheap shite....... but then again.....

Peteinhull

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/16
Hi guys,

Not my usual hang out, but I thought I'd share my recent transaction.

I'm fairly new to this hobby, with a limited budget. I love watches, as I guess you all do, and the reason most are here is because they love the 'brands' but just can't afford them, or can't justify the high price tags.

I spend a lot of time looking through the websites of TD's and thinking 'yep, gonna save for that one' or 'adding that to my wish list'. Me too!

I've bought some shite in my time from the likes of Aliexpress and I keep reprimanding myself every time I even look at the website!

Anyway, if this is confession, then I'm sorry but I have sinned! One Saturday morning during my normal ablutions I happened upon this website again. Scrolling through page after page of dross, my eye was caught on. Rep U-Boat 1001. I. An hear you all groaning now! There was a lot of reviews, which included a lot of photographs from members that had purchased, and I've got to say I was hooked!

I pushed the trigger! 3 weeks later perfectly packed, this arrived:

d1cdc490c8d403e4ed52d39fddc7592b.jpg

0f35efb462364a1d1f8ddcf7c45aacb6.jpg

b7ec27b9a76cf77e5a70600552058bb4.jpg

386a4d234db69abc95c35f6272802f7e.jpg

Automatic movement that gives me 38 hours of power reserve.

Now, I understand that knowledgable folk in this sub forum will be able to see the 'tells' a million miles off, but it's a cracking watch....

... Oh, did I tell you, including deliver it was £24 / €31 / $35 ??

Happy smile!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
At that low price if you are happy with it will you can't complain. I would recommend you do not look at this thread again though lol. If people come on with the criticism and tells it is hard not to see them. Personally I like the look of your watch.

I will have to say that I have bought off Ali and in comparison the TDs reps are much higher quality. I have only had one watch that I was really pleased with from Ali but that is possibly because I am completely obsessed by that model. I ended up buying the gen but I will not part with the cheapo Ali version either. Loads of tells on mine but I really like it. I wear it still on a different strap to the gen.

Peteinhull

26/3/16
I know the watch you're talking about! Wish I could get one of those at that price! I keep looking.... In fact.... It might be your fault that I keep returning!! [emoji6]

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
Bro, if you like your new watch, who cares what anyone else says! Enjoy it! Congrats!

Sent from the RWI mobile app

voxx

15/2/16
I also have bought watches from ALI before discovering this site and the quality of watches that the TD's sell . Of the 3-4 watches I got from ALi 2 have been decent quality ...one is a quartz and the other a higher priced (for Ali) auto movement. Almost all the cheaper auto watches worked for a few weeks before going belly up. I might suggest that if you wind your watch by the crown to do so gingerly. One watch like yours had the numbers start falling off the dial after a few months although the watch did continue to run.
I'm not trying to piss in your cornflakes but just a heads-up about being gentle with your watch. All my ALi purchases except one were U-boat watches and the one that gave me no problems at all was a quartz movement...it is still running perfectly after a year.
The first watch I bought stripped the crown gear the first day I had it so be careful with that. My son continues to wear that watch even though it doesn't work ..it is a nice looking watch.

Enjoy your watch !

processengr

I'm Pretty Popular
16/9/15
Enjoy your watch! Shipping, conversion fees , etc. can cost as much as you paid for the watch delivered! Plus, like @yllkep demonstrated, its a great way to see if you really like that particular watch! (he bought a gen after the $95 Ali SMP)

omgGenPAMfapfap

Known Member
17/4/15
At that low price if you are happy with it will you can't complain. I would recommend you do not look at this thread again though lol. If people come on with the criticism and tells it is hard not to see them. Personally I like the look of your watch.

I will have to say that I have bought off Ali and in comparison the TDs reps are much higher quality. I have only had one watch that I was really pleased with from Ali but that is possibly because I am completely obsessed by that model. I ended up buying the gen but I will not part with the cheapo Ali version either. Loads of tells on mine but I really like it. I wear it still on a different strap to the gen.
Which gen specifically did you buy if you don't mind my asking?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

mauricio612

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
4/12/15
No shame in buying an Ali watch mate, especially if you are new to the hobby and have a limited budget.
I am sure they sell like hotcakes!

I don't know if you have tried a 300 dollar rep from one of the TD's, but you should, and trust me it's worth the effort.

Then there is no going back. I don't look at the watches on Ali or DHgate anymore. Because I don't know what I am going to get. With the TD's watches, I can read a review here, see QC pics, vidéos, movement specs etc.. and I know exactly what I will get.

It's the first step for many new members. When this hobby started growing on me even more after I found RWI, I got rid of most of my "canal street reps'' as they become hard to wear once you've tried the great ones.

I was happy to pass them on to members who wanted to give them a go. They probably enjoyed them for some time and I am sure some ordered a better version after some time.

Enjoy your Uboat as long as you feel good wearing it!

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
I started with a bunch of watches from Ali, some complete turds and some not so bad, although at first I was like whoa! Thinking they were awesome, I soon learned. I wouldnt use the site now though.

i had the that same uboat also only with orange details and non chrono, (nothing worse than chronos that don't do anything) i thought for £25 I struck gold.

i then upgraded to one from a TD, which is titanium like genuine, with open caseback the correct deployment strap with the metal connecting piece from the strap to the case, and it was only £65 from the dealer. And it's ten times the watch.

Im a big uboat fan, the chimera is my fav, and I'm currently working on a 53mm u-42 unico project

Peteinhull

26/3/16
Cheers guys some great comments there!!

Shallowgas

Looking Around
11/9/16
Where did you order that watch?
I fancy one for $35!! Did they show the U-BOAT face logo on the Ali-Express images?

Cheers Mate,

Dowbs

I'm Pretty Popular
7/2/13
I fancy one for $35!! Did they show the U-BOAT face logo on the Ali-Express images?

Cheers Mate,

No, no logos on Aliexpress or DHGate. It's pretty obvious what it is though, given the whole enormous U1001 on the dial.

Also wow they've gone up in price. I bought one for $20 last year.

SsGoQYg.jpg

AK99

Looking Around
12/10/16

Cheers Mate,

Been looking at these one they are about 27-30£ now just type in U1001 on ALi or DH Gate and they will pop.