• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen gasket issue

GMTlover

27/12/12
So I put a gen crystal in my gmt last week and used the gen gasket. Once installed the bezel was completely stuck and wouldn’t turn an inch. Took it apart again and used the rep gasket and voila all fine.

Now I’m putting a gen crystal on my hulk and again, using gen gasket the bezel assembly is completely stuck.
Is this normal?
Am I doing anything wrong? Or is a gen gasket just not an option?
Any help/input would be appreciated
768ebef19a616d8c3f8637e8ca869880.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24KROL

Horology Curious
4/1/22
Bump on this , would like an update too.
I'm in the process of some modifications to my gmt all good so far. Is the gasket snug ? Do you still have old gasket ?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Sometimes a gen gasket will be thicker or more dense than a rep one. So it's not as compressible and the cheap rep retaining ring expands a little. This makes the fit tighter against the bezel gasket and can prevent rotation. Solution is use the rep gasket or you can thin the outer perimeter of the gen gasket. Fit it to a junk crystal and swipe roll it across some 400 grit paper on a flat surface. Do it evenly and don't take much off. Don't use black sandpaper it can stain the gasket.

Use the same approach for GMTs

6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap

It's in the link above, but a common mistake is not putting the bezel gasket back the same way it came out. Most have a stair-step profile and if installed upside-down a bezel will seat but not rotate. Note that not all are installed like the one shown below. Each should go back the way it came out.

jl7lBJ.jpg

Last edited:

All_Heart

Known Member
26/8/21
Looks like your bezel ring is not gen construction, otherwise I would suggest to press the Hulk metal (crystal retaining) ring all the way down before fitting the bezel ring.

I used a metal retaining ring (slightly larger) of a 126610 to press down the Hulk metal ring all the way down which resolved this issue when I fitted the bezel assembly.

From your photo, it looks like this is what would fix your issue