• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Beginners

CaptAwesome

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/3/21
Does the forum have an opinion on quality watch service tools? I would like to start (or attempt to) service my own watches. Is there a kit or recommendation on tools for a novice like myself? I have purchased some kits on Amazon only to find they strip easily and are cheaply made.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Yes, thank you. Sorry.... I didn’t realize this was in the forums.
No problem at all - I hope you find some helpful info there.

BTW, after a couple of years advocating the strategy of “buy cheap screwdriver handles, and use good quality screwdriver blades in them” - which is fine, up to a point - I recently resigned myself to the fact that it’s worth going the whole hog and buying a set of Horotec drivers (having bought one to try out, and instantly realising what a difference it makes using well designed, beautifully built tools). I could have saved a fair bit of money doing that in the first place, rather than buying a whole lot of cheap stuff that’s vastly inferior.

But when I started messing with watches, it sounded ludicrous to even consider spending £100+ on screwdrivers. Now, I find my mindset has changed. So if you’re seriously thinking that you’d like to do your own servicing etc., then my advice would be: Invest in the best quality screwdrivers and tweezers you can afford.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I totally agree with p0pperini, I have wasted time and money with cheap tools, only to buy better ones not long after my initial purchases. Should you be located in Europe it might be woth trying out the brand "Bullongè". They are quite affordable, but still decent quality mostly (Made in Europe).

CaptAwesome

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/3/21
Thank you both, this is a good starting point. I just bought a horotec screwdriver set, tweezers, and press. I plan on starting there and likely buy more tools as I need them/ understand them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: p0pperini