• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removing scratches on brushed SS

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
It's kind of funny me posting this since I am very bad with tools or any type of activities that require hand/eye coordination but I found an easy way to remove and refinish brushed SS surface.

All you need is sandpaper but maybe with a few different grits. I got this kit from 3M that came with mini sheets of 1000 to 2500 grit sandpaper - cost me 4 dollars from Amazon with one day shipping.

I start with 1500 and see if it's coarse enough to get most of the deeper scratches out. If it's not abrasive enough I go down to 1000.

Once you remove the deeper ones, I go up to 2000 grits and give the surface an even rub.

I know ScotchBrite is recommended by many for this type of job but I find it to be too fine. It works well on refinishing but not removing scratches.

Here is some before and after. Pic doesn't show it well but the gen 557 endlink had some deep scratches covered by some... black residue. I was able to remove most of the scratches and it looks 100x better now.

Before :
ZXKEtc.jpg

After :
ZXKNNX.jpg

Last edited:

P1EMO

Known Member
26/7/19
Italy
Checking in.
Do you move in circles or straight direction when brushing?

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Gods own country! Yorkshire.
Never move in circles. Always go with the grain on steel for the best finish bud. Work slowly to not create a flat area where the scratches are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: P1EMO

P1EMO

Known Member
26/7/19
Italy
Never move in circles. Always go with the grain on steel for the best finish bud. Work slowly to not create a flat area where the scratches are.

Thanks! Amount of pressure?

I imagine that brushing the watch case is not the same as brushing the bike side panels... and I'm quite afraid of damaging it all :giggle:

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Press on just hard enough to feel you are removing metal. Here is an omega I’m working on. I used 150 grit paper first and worked my way up to a superfine sanding pad but I’ve done a lot of work I’m the past on renovation. It’s not finished yet but you will get the idea.
e52837a514c993d26637ffe855ff2c2a.jpg

c29f791dd25b8abd37320d038d8f80bf.jpg

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
My collection of sandpapers arrived yesterday, so today I am going to attempt to do this, thanks to your tip sukwonee . I will practice on an old second hand bracelet that I don't care about too much.

Reactions: sukwonee

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Replisimio WOW that looks like brandnew. How did you manage to leave out the shiny parts on either side of the links in the middle?

Replisimio

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/20
Thankyou! I was pleased how this one turned out.

Basically I polish the shiny bits first and then mask them off one side at a time and brush the satin/brushed areas on my bench polisher using an artiflex wheel. I’ve done a lot of refinishing as it’s my part time living but time and patience will get you there eventually. I mainly refinish watches I’m about to sell on.

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Replisimio thank you for the pics and the explanation! I am very impressed and eager to try this myself right now, slowly and patiently.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
My collection of sandpapers arrived yesterday, so today I am going to attempt to do this, thanks to your tip sukwonee . I will practice on an old second hand bracelet that I don't care about too much.

You're welcome and keep us posted with your results! I was very scared at first attempting this on a gen Rolex bracelet but it turned out great.

OverAfton

Patron
Certified
I've done quite a bit of woodworking and metal finishing as a hobby: it really is impressive how you guys can turn the watch from a "Before" to an "After". Superb work, but it takes time, finesse, then more time, and more finesse...etc, etc. Lovely, lovely job that you all did!

Also, I would say this is somewhat akin to sharpening wood chisels, and YouTube has quite a bit about the different grits to use.

Last edited:

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
Thanks buddy. It’s a satisfying thing to do once you get the right techniques etc. I guess it is professional really as I get paid for it lol.

Ahhhh that explains alot haha. I can't quite do it like you yet but I am sure I will improve as I do more.

Reactions: Replisimio

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
sukwonee and Replisimio Well, I was also very scared before I started, then after the first intermediate results on my testpiece I couldn't stop and started on two other digital oldies right away! I am fully aware that I am only at the beginning and far from professional standards, but it is so rewarding to see those old watches of my school days shine again - so rewarding! Didn't know this was possible, so so cool! Thank you guys, you encouraged me and introduced me to this whole new hobby :) Pictures in the next post, I hope they show.

Reactions: sukwonee