• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removing a 2836 from its case and resetting the keyless

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Ok so here's a tutorial for anyone interested in removing a 2836 from its case. There was a good tutorial a few years ago, but all of the links to the pictures are broken, so i'll just post this here and hopefully it'll help a few of you out.
I've used a Rolex submariner for this tutorial as it is a very popular watch but most 2836 watches will be the same.
So straight onto the pictures

Use a spring bar tool or screwdriver to remove the ​​​​​​bracelet.

​​​​​​

This is the die size we need to remove the case back.

Next remove the centre screw and the rotor will be free to put to one side and set the time to 12 o'clock, you will thank me later.

Remove the stem by pressing down where my tweezers are, roll the crown gently backwards and forwards and pull the stem out. ( theres lots of discussions on the best way to remove the stem. i remove the stem in the winding position, some remove it in the time setting. Google it and see what you prefer)

Put some gloves or finger cots on if you haven't already.

Once the stem is out cover the back of the movement with a zip lock bag and flip it over. Place the movement in a holder and place the stem in. You might need to place it in the movement holder dial down and depress the button to get the stem back in. Be careful not to scratch the dial.

Now place a ziplock back over the dial and hands to protect it so you can remove the hands with your levers

next we need to remove the dial, pull out the clamps for the dial feet, you can see one i've pulled out at 4 in the picture.The other is at 10

Once the dial is removed we can see the date wheel and minute train bridge.

Remove the date jumper plate screw and the date jumper plate will come out. Remove your datewheel carefully. do not pick it up with the end of your tweezers. it will mark very easily.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

With date wheel removed we can take out the screw for the minute train bridge.

​​​​​​

Slide the bridge towards the keyless and the tabs will become free

Now we can see the keyless, loosen the screw for the setting lever jumper but do not remove it

Lift up here with your tweezers or screwdriver, once the tension is removed you can take the screw out and put the jumper somewhere safe

Remove the yoke

Remove the setting lever

Remove the corrector lever

And finally the sliding and winding pinions, familiarise yourself with the orientation before you remove it

I hope this helps and part 2 rebuilding will be tomorrow...

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
OK back to it.. Rebuilding the keyless and casing up the movement.

First place the winding pinion back into its slot. Check the orientation.
​​​​​​

Now you can place the sliding pinion back in. Make sure it sits on top of the stop lever, marked inside the red circle. When you pull the stem to the time setting position it will pull this lever and stop the balance. Slide your stem back in.

Next place in the corrector and then the setting lever

Place the Yoke back on its post and sit it on the sliding pinion.

​​​​​​

Now for the setting lever jumper, get it in place give the screw a couple of turn and the push it into position on the setting lever, tighten down the screw. Just below the screw you can see the yoke, push the spring of the setting lever jumper down so it applies tension.

If you removed the the setting wheel in the picture below at tany point or it came free from its post, check the orientation before replacing. one side is bevelled the other is not. we want bevelled side up.

Bevelled side

Flat side

Setting wheel in place

Check function of the Keyless at this point

If you're following this tutorial because you screwed up the keyless, now is a good time to practice removing the stem and reinserting. Removing the setting wheel before you do this as it will jump off its post.

Now we can place the minute train bridge back on

​​​​​​

Place it on and slide it forwards and secure it with the screw.

Check all three functions of the Keyless again. If everything is ok we can fit the Date wheel, dial and hands.

Pick up your date wheel carefully and place the teeth under the lip of the minute train bridge near the keyless

​​​​​​Next we need to engage the other side of the date wheel with the date wheel jumper .

With very clean finger cots or gloves turn the date wheel at the 3 and 9 position so it engages the spring. The date wheel should look flat once it is engaged with the spring.

Now we can replace the cover for the date wheel jumper spring so it keeps its postion.

Test the quick date set function.

Next is the dial spacer, and flick out the dial feet clamps

Place your dial back on the movement and pull the crown to the timesetting position until the date flips. You can then press your hands on.

​​​​​​

Flip your movement dial side down into a movement holder (i use Bergeon 4040p for this as it is carbon fibre and less likely to mark the dial) and remove the stem. You should be an expert by now :) . Place the movement without the stem on a cushion or on your mat and place the case over it and insert the stem. Now you can place the case clamps back in. Check the function and with the crown out insert your rotor, turn the crown a couple of times to make sure its engaged and then tighten the screw..

​​​​​​

Place your caseback gasket in, tighten the caseback and that's it job done..

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Another excellent post Red. This will help a lot of members, I frequently see questions pop up about this issue.

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Thanks for the post. I was removing my stem often on my 2824 but last time i took it the release button is stuck low and doesnt it seems. The crown is just not setting in, once i t was winding manually. Ut was clicking in to lock positions. Do i have to do this? Can you help me with the cause? Is there shorter way to do it. Im scared if the date wheel wont sit back if i open it.

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
On my both asian 2824 gmt module and 2824 non gmt

Rex-T

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/19
Problem with setting lever fixed! My First time like watchmaker and watch explosion or something like that was expected but thanks to red1 and this amazing tutorial, everthing was fine and my watch is like new.

Reactions: Digital.

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
So my stem wasnt clicking in. And i opened the keyless. The stem issue is fixed and its works. The date however isnt flipping. Not with quickset and through hour rotation. Im guessing this is a 2836 gmt. Can anyone guide me where the fault could be?
52843be6828a6d42f2e6b3b37cc5e1e8.jpg
b63172ec74b269be0b48fab9d937dc26.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Its a BLNR btw,
Pic without the bridge

bd3dc75ff8d128761d4d909a3031c2d8.jpg

KJ2020 red1

Have you tried it with the GMT wheel in place?

That movement is a 2824 CHS timebomb that someone modified. The intermediate datewheel (IDW) has been cut (or swapped out for a 2836 IDW) and the two upper gears on the 2824 CHS IDW are missing. This would alter normal date changing functions.

There's a thread here you can get more info from. Skip to about page 10 and look at my posts

Why CHS GMT movements fail

You should start a new thread for your issue after you read some more about your movement as this is not a keyless issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digital.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here's a regular (non-GMT) 2824 IDW, and what the 2824 CHS GMT IDW should look like

q0F6W.jpg

2824 CHS GMT

qJku4.jpg

qJBdL.jpg

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
Have you tried it with the GMT wheel in place?

That movement is a 2824 CHS timebomb that someone modified. The intermediate datewheel (IDW) has been cut (or swapped out for a 2836 IDW) and the two upper gears on the 2824 CHS IDW are missing. This would alter normal date changing functions.

There's a thread here you can get more info from. Skip to about page 10 and look at my posts

Why CHS GMT movements fail

You should start a new thread for your issue after you read some more about your movement as this is not a keyless issue.

I tried with a GMT wheel and no luck.
After reading your posts, i had an extrap spare 2824 regular soni took the IDW and put that on and the bridge as well from that 2824 still no luck.

Cli compared both and saw the the wheel near the keyless works had a 3 sided prong kinda thing that flips the DW. On the GMT one i have the that wheel has no prong. Is it cz of that?

Is this movement a waste now or i can still happen to fix it somehow and use it. Maybe replace the IDW that you marked and the the wheel near the keyless that flips the DW?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I tried with a GMT wheel and no luck.
After reading your posts, i had an extrap spare 2824 regular soni took the IDW and put that on and the bridge as well from that 2824 still no luck.

Cli compared both and saw the the wheel near the keyless works had a 3 sided prong kinda thing that flips the DW. On the GMT one i have the that wheel has no prong. Is it cz of that?

Is this movement a waste now or i can still happen to fix it somehow and use it. Maybe replace the IDW that you marked and the the wheel near the keyless that flips the DW?

This movement does not have a quickset date change. That's why there is no cam in the date corrector. Also the mainplate is not slotted for the date corrector to move over and contact the datewheel.You need to rebuild it like original with the GMT wheel and hour wheel installed. Then use hour jumping to change the date, or advance all the hands 24 hours in crown position 3.

The GMT wheel has a jump click in it that may be broken. Open the collet on top and separate the upper and lower halves to see. These movements can be fixed, but not many watchmakers will bother. There are better movements available. If you want more help, please open a new thread. We are off topic here.