• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removing a SA4130 from the case and how to reset the Keyless

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
You will need a lathe to get the dial the correct size and epoxy or dial dots for attaching the dial both have there + and - . Good luck

NASA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/4/18
Great tutorial. I wish those tools were easier to find though.

f1_schumy

Horology Curious
5/10/18
Romania
Could someone plz tell what should I check/do to to fix a problem with alignment of the seconds hand chrono ? (When reseting not always goes to 00:00).
10x in advance...

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Without seeing the issue I’ll assume you’re talking about the slight variations in position when resetting and no other issues. This is due to the gears. Upgrade your clutch to gen and upgrade your chrono wheel to gen (new version). A costly investment for fractions of a mm in alignment.

Reactions: Ylijumala

f1_schumy

Horology Curious
5/10/18
Romania
Without seeing the issue I’ll assume you’re talking about the slight variations in position when resetting and no other issues. This is due to the gears. Upgrade your clutch to gen and upgrade your chrono wheel to gen (new version). A costly investment for fractions of a mm in alignment.

Yes, exactly...but the variations are sometimes quite big (sometimes chrono sec goes to 57, sometimes to 04...and yes, sometime does it right to 00:00)

I thought I'm the only one with this problem..thank you!

Last edited:

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
Post edited for Keyless rebuild.

Hey guys, I'm in the process of swapping my black dial for a panda and in the process of pulling out the stem I effed up the keyless (presumably). I think my mistake was pressing the stem release in the hand setting position, and not the winding position. Initially when I reinserted the stem, it went in fine and worked well in the hand setting position. However, when I tried to push the stem all the way back in, the stem would not turn clockwise. Turned CCL fine. So I followed the steps above to reset the keyless and all appeared to go well (great guide Digital.!). All the parts came out and went back in fairly easily, but when I was finished, it didn't seem to make a difference (ie the stem still ceases up when pushed all the way in and will not rotate clockwise). Any idea what I may have done wrong here? Is it possible something more serious occurred when I pressed the stem release (very gently I might add)? I took a couple pics shown below with the setting lever jumper and 2 springs removed to better show the current state of affairs. As you will see, the yoke is seated nicely on the winding pinion, but still no love for me! Please help!!!

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated!

butler182

Renowned Member
14/12/20
OK, problem solved! After determining everything but the winding pinion was pretty dialed in, I started tinkering with the winding pinion...thinking it just needed to better mesh with the crown wheel below...and bingo! That did the trick. I gave the winding pinion a tiny nudge (toward the center of the movement) and it was just enough to better mesh with the crown wheel. I suspect that may have been my issue all along. In other words, just nudging the winding pinion a tiny bit so it better meshes with the crown wheel below may have saved me the hassle of resetting the keyless. Certainly worth a try first if you're having a similar issue to mine, IMO.

Also, I did some practice stem removals after I sorted things out and found that it takes just a feather touch (emphasis on feather) on the stem release to remove the crown (in the winding position!). Much lighter touch than I've used on my SH3186, which is the only other movement I've tinkered with...so I don't have much to compare, but certainly a lighter touch than is intuitive.

Five digit guy

14/6/19
Reviving this thread because I just put in a gen dial & hands and pulled in setting positing on my 116500.. stem wouldn’t go back in and I lost my SH!t however I was luckily able to use the small flat head and pop it back into position anyone working on a sa4130 this is a great read!!! Ty OP VERY MUCH!

Reactions: KJ2020

subaddict

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/18
hi, sorry for newbie question, but what does keyless does?
I swapped my noob dial with ARF by myself, and did not do this step. Is it wrong?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
hi, sorry for newbie question, but what does keyless does?
I swapped my noob dial with ARF by myself, and did not do this step. Is it wrong?

If your winding and time setting operations are working properly you don't need to do anything else. This thread is for people whose keyless operations are not working right.

Reactions: subaddict

guarda

You're Saying I Can Smell?
Certified
26/10/16
NYC
It is as result of this thread that has prompted me to become a supporter. Thank you.

Last edited:

ahboylovespatek

Patron
28/3/23
rolex factory
This guide is godsent. Thank you so much. I couldn’t put my crown back in after I removed it to swap the crystal on my Daytona. I did not have to remove the dial to reset the keyless works, took abit of patience and I gently worked my way to push the yoke back in position using the smallest screwdriver I have.

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
This guide is godsent. Thank you so much. I couldn’t put my crown back in after I removed it to swap the crystal on my Daytona. I did not have to remove the dial to reset the keyless works, took abit of patience and I gently worked my way to push the yoke back in position using the smallest screwdriver I have.

Why remove crown for crystal replacement bro?

ahboylovespatek

Patron
28/3/23
rolex factory
Why remove crown for crystal replacement bro?
The guide I saw on YouTube, they removed the crown and the movement before they used a crystal press to push out the crystal and the bezel together from the inside. It was only after that I realised I could have just used a bezel remover or a penknife to remove the bezel and the crystal without removing the movement.

Rubberman

Forever young
Patron
Certified
9/12/17
The guide I saw on YouTube, they removed the crown and the movement before they used a crystal press to push out the crystal and the bezel together from the inside. It was only after that I realised I could have just used a bezel remover or a penknife to remove the bezel and the crystal without removing the movement.
Ya bro don’t trust the YouTubers LOL.
Anyway, you get to learned how to reset the keyless, now crystals replacement is so easy to you already haha
Cheers!

Reactions: ahboylovespatek