• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removing a SA4130 from the case and how to reset the Keyless

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Here is a guide how to reset your sa4130 keyless, this movement is found in the Noob Daytona with full working chronograph. An amazing movement which is very close to the Rolex 4130.

There are two parts to this guide, If you're confident with working with your hands on small parts you can try the first part before we remove the hands. If you have never touched a movement before, i would not recommend you try the second part, save yourself the headache and send your movement to someone who knows what they're doing.

So starting with a cased up movement

SiWT0u.jpg

Use a caseback tool (die no.5 29.50) to remove the back

​​​​​​
hWgjN2.jpg

Now you have the case back off you can remove the 3 small screws for the rotor (screwdriver size 110), remove the rotor and place the parts in a container so they're covered and safe. Turn the clamp screw (screwdriver size 160) in the green circle a few times, the screw doesn't need to come all the way out, the clamps can turn 90 degrees so they're free from the case. Or you can just take them out completely.

Once the clamps are tucked away or removed you're ready to remove your crown and stem. The stem should be removed in the winding position! Press down very gently in the area marked with a red circle, use some fine tweezers, peg wood or even a cocktail stick. If you press to hard you risk bending the spring for the setting lever. So, lightly pressing the button with one hand, turn the crown and pull out gently with the other.

(You will notice i have removed the auto work from my movement and can see the ratchet wheel, you don't need to do this).

​​​​​​
aDiDg3.jpg

83TPsk.jpg

If you're not resolving an issue with the keyless place the movement on a cushion or in a movement holder and insert the stem, you shouldn't need to press the button down, push it in slowly giving it a few turns.

Ay1Zft.jpg

If the stem wont go back in and you have a problem with the keyless we can try to reset it without removing the hands and dial, sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't.
There is a good chance the stem won't go back in because the Yoke for the sliding pinion (4130 240) has moved on top of the Sliding pinion (4130 205), i have simulated this in the picture below. You can see the Yoke with the red arrow pointing at it is not seated correctly in the sliding pinion with the green arrow pointing at it.

​​​​​​
kWJALq.jpg

We need to get it seated correctly like this

​​​​​​
zbqlAn.jpg

Before we remove the dial and hands, we can try and push a screwdriver very gently between the gap of the dial and keyless to try and push the yoke back into position. Insert a small screwdriver around the area where the red arrow is (obviously you will have a dial and hands on your movement and the stem will not be inserted)

77IX7u.jpg

If it works you're done and you can reverse what we did and case the movement up. If not the next step is to remove the dial and hands and take a better look at what is going on. Whilst you are not working on your movement make sure you don't leave it exposed, always cover it up.

​​​​​​
9IVkbf.jpg

To remove the hands, place a small plastic bag, you can cut a section out of a zip lock bag or similar. This will protect the dial and hands by making sure the levers do not come into contact with either

​​​​​​
l62Q8I.jpg

Use some hand levers to lift the hands

pOu0oO.jpg

loosen the screws on the side of the movement at 10 and 5 so you can remove the dial (i have removed the screws because i am servicing this movement).

P1nj0X.jpg

So, now you will be able to see if the yoke is in the incorrect position or not. If it is gently push it onto the winding pinion.

I will go through how to rebuild the Keyless in the next part

EDIT: Onto dismantling the keyless and rebuilding

Parts list from top to bottom

1. Setting lever jumper 4130-231
2. Sprinng for yoke 4130-241
3. Yoke for sliding pinion 4130-240
4. Setting lever 4130-220
5. Winding Pinion 4130-204
6. Sliding pinion 4130-205
7. Setting wheel core 4130-249
8. Setting wheel 4130-250
9. Spring for setting lever 4130-250

​​​​​​
FuR0Jj.jpg

The first step is to remove the Setting lever jumper, which acts as a cover plate for the rest of the parts. Loosen the two screws a few turns and then with a small screwdriver lift up the lever so it becomes free from the setting lever. Remove the screws and keep them covered.

waEJvc.jpg

The only tricky part is coming next, removing the Yoke spring. If you mess this up the spring will be launched into orbit and you'll have to ask Nasa to retrieve it :)
This spring is under quite a lot of tension and not so easy for beginners to remove. it . You will need some pegwood or Rodico to cover one end

​​​​​​
8xhUn8.jpg

​​​​​​
XlKjpn.jpg

Then with a pair of strong tweezers grip the spring tightly and pull it out. I would also recommend a beginner places the movement inside a clear plastic bag to limit how far the spring can travel, if you haven't got a good grip of it. Replacement rep parts are very rare and gen parts are very expensive.

Taking the rest apart is straight forward, so we'll move onto rebuilding step by step. Just make sure you keep the setting lever spring screw separate from the setting lever jumper screws as they are different.

Rebuild

Place the winding and sliding pinions as shown, note the orientation of the sliding pinion.

​​​​​​
Rck4M1.jpg

Next place the stem through the winding and sliding pinions and into the movement

​​​​​​
ij0IDR.jpg

Place the setting wheel core on its post, be sure to get the correct orientation as per the picture

jhT2Tu.jpg

Place the setting wheel on top

​​​​​​
KG8Eb5.jpg

Next is the set lever, the small notch has to sit in the hacking lever hole circled in red.
HatZXq.jpg

kR6DtG.jpg

l3kpoz.jpg

Seat the yoke on its post and on the sliding pinion. The set lever spring can also be installed.

​​​​
eA5BXz.jpg

The yoke spring is next, as per the removal i get it almost in position and hold it with some pegwood. Instead of using tweezers like we did to remove it i get another piece of pegwood with a nice flat end and just press it in, so 2 pieces one to hold it in place and 1 to press it in. Again, do this in a clear bag if you're not 100% confident.

​​​​​
Qmwxb6.jpg

8xhUn8.jpg

line up the setting lever jumper with its screw holes, tighten the screws a couple of turns and then make sure the lever is in the correct position before tightening the screws fully.

​​​​​​
waEJvc.jpg

Check the function by pulling the stem in and out, give it a few cautious turns whilst you check everything is aligned correctly.

If you removed the hour wheel and washer replace them now.

Replace the dial and tighten the screws for the dial feet. Place in a movement holder ready to press the hands

​​​​​​
k0JxGx.jpg

Replace the hands, remember to check the clearance between the hour hand and sub dial. Also hour, minute and centre chrono hand are all clear and parallel.

​​​​​​
as4VJf.jpg

Now you need to place the movement upside down in a movement holder and remove the stem, remember winding position. I use bergeon 4040-p as it will not scratch the dial.

Under magnification check the dial for and dust, particles, fluff etc. Check no dust has made its way onto the inside of the crystal.

Place the case over the movement and turn it over

Insert the stem. You shouldn't have to press the button but you can lightly if needed.

Before screwing the crown down, put your case clamps back in. Check the dial is aligned properly.

When attaching your rotor, give the stem a few turns to make sure everything is engaged.

Replace the case back.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great info and pics, thanks bro

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Great info and pics, thanks bro

Thanks, I wasn't sure whether to post in the Rolex section or here, not sure how many of us are lurking around in these parts of the forum haha

R3w1nd

Renowned Member
29/8/17
UK
This is the correct section imo.

Thank you you for sharing. It is much appreciated.

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Very nice. Thanks for sharing !

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Post edited for Keyless rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Exceptional effort bro. I downloaded the page so I have a copy for future reference. I've been wanting to swap some dials and hands, etc. but was putting it off for fear of fouling the keyless. I'm going to order the movement holder today and move forward with my projects. Thanks a lot!

I made this "containment box" after losing 3 or 4 ETA click springs. I got over using it, time to dust it off again, lol.

15679592746552.jpg

15679592747183.jpg

Digital.

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/7/15
Exceptional effort bro. I downloaded the page so I have a copy for future reference. I've been wanting to swap some dials and hands, etc. but was putting it off for fear of fouling the keyless. I'm going to order the movement holder today and move forward with my projects. Thanks a lot!

I made this "containment box" after losing 3 or 4 ETA click springs. I got over using it, time to dust it off again, lol.

15679592746552.jpg

15679592747183.jpg

I like it. KIF should supply these for their shock springs haha ...

I hope the tutorial is useful, if you need anymore info or pictures let me know.

Reactions: Raddave and KJ2020

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Wonderful Tut Bro ! Thanks !

Reactions: Digital.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
27/7/15
Excellent tutorial, it must have taken a lot of time to put together in such detail.

I agree its definitely in the right section, I don’t think you want several messages a day from frantic inexperienced/over confident members that have seen this post in the Rolex section and decided to send some parts into orbit

alfonzo

25/7/19
Outstanding! Thank you for the detailed effort and it will be a great reference when I get to the Daytona...which may very well be next.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Amazing post. Thanks for sharing!

By any chance, do you know if a gen rotor can be fitted on noob 4130? I tried and failed. Then I installed noob rotor again and it works. Maybe I did something wrong? Both look identical to me (apart from little details)

f5528b351358a920da28f35204d88c55.jpg

15a0e9608a7fc9e952008c91595f18c7.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Amazing post. Thanks for sharing!

By any chance, do you know if a gen rotor can be fitted on noob 4130? I tried and failed. Then I installed noob rotor again and it works. Maybe I did something wrong? Both look identical to me (apart from little details)

f5528b351358a920da28f35204d88c55.jpg

15a0e9608a7fc9e952008c91595f18c7.jpg

Micasol has done a lot of gen parts replacements into Noobs

Reactions: mega12

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Micasol has done a lot of gen parts replacements into Noobs

Thanks man. Maybe he can jump in.
I found an old sales thread where a noob with Gen rotor has been sold. So maybe I was just too dumb. Need to try once again:)

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Guys I managed to install the gen rotor.
It seems that the gen “screw wholes” are little bit thinner than the noob ones. There is only ONE position, where the screws can be fixed and the rotor is touching the reversing wheel. If it’s too deep, not working, too soft, not working. Not sure for how long this will last, but let’s see :) otherwise I will replace it by the noob one again. This works easily.

09a08dbba1d459cf3a3a93127eeaeecb.jpg

Reactions: KJ2020

dongs

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
16/8/18
EU
I think I bended the spring by removing the stem, how to fix it?

Last edited:

Micasol

I'm Pretty Popular
14/4/14
Thanks man. Maybe he can jump in.
I found an old sales thread where a noob with Gen rotor has been sold. So maybe I was just too dumb. Need to try once again:)

Could fit in gen rotor but with some mod to fit in properly, and need to be regulated on it’s position because noob movement is not exactly same size gen is, in fact noob movement a little bit bigger than gen, so you need to adjust rotor in the correct position,

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: mega12

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I think I bended the spring by removing the stem, how to fix it?

What spring did you bend? Are you referring to the keyless works? That’s about the only thing I can think of that could get messed up removing the stem..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaqueslepro

6/3/18
Thanks for posting this article. Now I have nearly all the info I need for the arf / noob transplantation that is planned. Still, is there a turtorial how to

- cut the dial feet and attach the ARF dial to the movement? Break them off with pliers and use double sided tape? (I know that is a shameful thought, but that is my idea)

- how much do I need to sand off the arf dial to fit it correctly?

I coulndt find anything helpful yet. Thanks for any non harassing replies. :eek:​​​​​​​