• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Burnish braclet edges (smooth steel rep bracelet)

HolySweetJesus

Looking Around
29/6/19
So full disclosure, I looked for some advice for about 20 minutes on how to take the sharpness off of a rep braclet (316 stainless) and found a ton of info on polishing the surface for scratches. What I'm asking is the best way to burnish the edges of the bracelet links to smooth out the touch of roughness with out damage to the polished finish. Should I be using light grit sand paper by hand, a Dremel with a polishing wheel and a medium/light abrisive compound, a wheel with jelwers polish... Etc etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh and telling me to buy a Gen band from an AD is pretty simple... Of course I know that would be best, just trying to strech my rep dollar so I can grab a few more reps... And keep a relatively attractive and hopefully a comforatable band on an otherwise decent looking time piece.

I'm at your mercy.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Mav2000

10/1/19
I just did that with my 316l sub bracelet. I basically used 200 grit sand paper on the sharper parts of the clasp in a smooth angled downwards movement. This took just a few.minutes till the sharp points were smoothened enough. Then used a polishing cloth on the four corners and it was good to go. Remember to angle at around 45 degres and downwards. I didn't need to use any power equipments, though I do have a Dremel.

Last edited:

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I used a dremel with a sanding wheel and run it over the edges. You have to have some practice doing this bc it can go bad quick. Then I sand it down more with 800-1500 grit sandpaper, slowly moving up it grit. This should make it pretty shiny but you’ll want to get it to where there are no scratches showing. Then, I use a scotchbrite pad to get the brushed surface and thenI use polishing compound with a cotton polishing wheel to get a nice shiny but brushed look. Just be sure to brush it evenly and straight up and down. This can be tricky because the bracelets are tapered but fairly easy to do. Just make sure you have a straight edge on your desk or work bench and put some rodeco or styrofoam, packing paper..etc to make up for the gap on the edge of the desk/bench. Then move the brushing pad straight left - right and back. Just make sure that the SELs are parallel to the edge of the work space.

The JF and AR bracelets all seem to have beveled edges on the bracelet links but still have sharp edges on the clasp so those are good if you can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssouthall6

10/10/13
I used a dremel with a sanding wheel and run it over the edges. You have to have some practice doing this bc it can go bad quick. Then I sand it down more with 800-1500 grit sandpaper, slowly moving up it grit. This should make it pretty shiny but you’ll want to get it to where there are no scratches showing. Then, I use a scotchbrite pad to get the brushed surface and thenI use polishing compound with a cotton polishing wheel to get a nice shiny but brushed look. Just be sure to brush it evenly and straight up and down. This can be tricky because the bracelets are tapered but fairly easy to do. Just make sure you have a straight edge on your desk or work bench and put some rodeco or styrofoam, packing paper..etc to make up for the gap on the edge of the desk/bench. Then move the brushing pad straight left - right and back. Just make sure that the SELs are parallel to the edge of the work space.

The JF and AR bracelets all seem to have beveled edges on the bracelet links but still have sharp edges on the clasp so those are good if you can find one.

Is this not a bit overkill?!

Bloody hell, I use sanding sticks and compound :D

bc1221

30/4/14
Is this not a bit overkill?!

Bloody hell, I use sanding sticks and compound :D

Depends on what you’re building really. If it’s gonna be a vintage piece, I’d prob just sand the edges with around 800 grit sandpaper and jump up to 1000 or so and then polish the shiny bits. :)