• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Waterproof or not?: Guide to helping your reps survive water

zzzzhp

Looking Around
3/6/19
Since seeing a great deal of posts over time regarding this issue, here's a bit of a layman's tutorial on how to help waterproof your watches. :)

Contrary to popular belief, these rep watches are more waterproof than they're given credit for--the sports models, mind you--not the more refined "banker's" watches like Vacheron Constantin, Patek, etc. It's worth the extra $15, or whatever your area watch repair shops currently charge to have it pressure tested (if you're state-side, google the stores Fast Fix, Precision Time, etc.--they test any watch on site, for cheap--Precision Time even uses the good 6-10 ATM vacuum tester, not the Bergeon water one).

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Here is my take on reps an water resistance:-

I hear lots of people asking to "make" their watches waterproof for swimming in. Let me tell you, this is not always economically viable !

On a standard sports watch, there are four possible points of water ingress, they are as follows:-

Crystal/gasket and or retainer
Case back
Crown
Case tube

If either or all of these leak, you could be looking at a small fortune to replace or seal these areas. Yes silicone grease helps, but its not the answer to all leaks.

On other " bankers" watches such as the Daytona or AP, these points of ingress are greater as they have 2 x chrono pushers on them which now makes possible entry points up to 6 ! It is possible and I have seen it that all six points leak at different pressures, truly a time consuming and costly task to seal all these areas to attain swimming in it.

Another typical issue especially on Rolex models is the crystal retainer ring, I have had these oversize, which means they do not generate a seal between Xtal, gasket and case. Not a lot you can do about this except get a new retainer or back the seal up with epoxy I personally don't like doing this, its not permanent and could leak further down the line, costing you a new movement in the long term.

So to help you understand, a WR test is a test, it does not mean that once tested your watch will be water resistant, it could pass as many do, but it could quite easily fail and you could be chasing a costly ghost if you pursue the path of wanting to swim in it.