• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ploprof clasp mod

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Here's a repost from RWG.com that some might find useful...;)

original thread, http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15777

I mentioned in the SB last night that I’d modded the clasp of my Ploplop. The diver’s extension has habit of slipping and is a well documented fault on the forums. Various methods have been used in correcting this fault by others, ranging from filing the teeth, using springs out of spring bars ‘doubled up’ inside the originals, using thin strips of rubber as spacers and replacing the inadequate originals with a flint spring from a disposable lighter. I chose to use the latter to solve the problem.

First thing to do, press in the ‘PUSH’ tab and slide out the extension as far as it’ll go...

DSCF2028.jpg

With the clasp and extension held in each hand respectively between forefinger and thumb and whilst still pressing the ‘PUSH’ tab, exert outward pressure in the direction shown below...

DSCF2050.jpg

...and pull apart. You have to pull fairly hard to separate the clasp from the extension, it’s not fragile, so no need to be too gentle with it. Here’s what the extension looks like when separated...

DSCF2032.jpg

Here’s a close up of the teeth which some have filed to a more defined, sharper profile to prevent slippage...

DSCF2043.jpg

Also, notice the hole above these teeth, these holes contain screws which hold the ‘PUSH’ tab in position whilst also allowing it some movement to engage and disengage the teeth of the clasp and the extension. Here’s a pic showing the screw head a bit more clearly...

DSCF2030.jpg

Remove the screws (one each side), and the extension can now be disassembled...

DSCF2005.jpg

Now, get yourself a cheap disposable lighter and remove the flint spring...

DSCF2008.jpg

The flint spring is larger in diameter than the originals, don’t worry, it’ll still fit in the tab holes nice and snug. Now take a suitable pair of end cutters or in this case nail clippers (I used these cheapies out of a Christmas cracker :lol: ) Then snip the spring approx. 3-4mm longer than the originals...

DSCF2016.jpg

Place the two new springs into their relevant holes in the extension, place the ‘PUSH ‘ tab in position, push it down and screw in the retaining screws. Once reassembled, check that it’s functioning correctly...it should be firmer now.

Note this small tab on the opposite side of the extension. It’s spring loaded and vital to getting everything back together, for reference we’ll name it the ‘nipple’ tab...

DSCF2046.jpg

Offer up the clasp and extension, press the ‘PUSH’ tab and while pressing, push them into each other using the same forefinger and thumb method as when pulling apart but ensuring it goes in evenly on both sides.

DSCF2050.jpg

The extension will only push in so far, push in the ‘nipple’ tab, push the clasp and extension together an rejoice in the satisfying ‘click’ of your modded clasp as it goes back together.

The whole thing took me about 30 minutes to do and that was taking pics along the way.

The extension no longer slips, has a satisfying 'click' when adjusting and in this case, required no filing of the teeth.

If you can use a screwdriver, some clippers and for the myopic amongst us, have some way of magnifying enough to see a couple of small screws this is an easy peazy mod...;)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Go scone! Great write-up. Thanks. :thumbsup:

I still remember when you pointed me to RWG when I was lost over at the geek! Thanks. :)

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Awesome Sconey, thanks for bringing it here.

OSERRA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/10/11
It´s a great solution,I have the same problem and here is the solution.Thank you very much.

jeffw69

I'm Pretty Popular
14/10/11
I wonder if the newest plops(the ultimate) still has this problem?
anybody order one recently?

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
Great thread! I think mine slips just a TAD now at first and then locks in quite tightly. I probably just needed a longer spring. I may go back and do this again in the futuer if it doesn't work out.

ThankS!

civic4982

Renowned Member
11/9/11
SO I went ahead and did this modification. Unfortunately it still slips just a tad so I added a "gasket" of sorts using some tape dial sticky dots o nthe backside of the inner portion of the buckle to push it out a bit and engage more strongly.

That ended up wroking out perfectly.

Seadweller16600

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/2/14
ploppy clasp

Thanks very much for that Manual!!!
i Reyes to so it with the Lighter spring and all will be good.the clasp dös not Open the Range by Moving the wrist angle...and i Chance only the Springs ,no Need to prepare the saw with a file.
thank a los again!!!
gegards from Germany /Koblenz
Ulrich

Edam

Looking Around
16/10/22
Absolutely useful, very well explained and easy to do. Thanks!