• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tutorial - Gen like bezel scallops finish

yosimiz

Known Member
11/8/12
Hi All

If this is the result you are after, you are in the right thread.
Can you figure out which one is the GEN by looking only at the reflection? the top one is obvious V8 bezel untouched.

XvesX.jpg

I get interest and messages from members asking how to do a certain improvement/mod after i post some pictures of my mods. I can't find the time to make mods for others anymore since the birth of my lovely daughter :) (although I don't do work for forum members but locally - mouth to ear) Anyway, after being here for a long time, i have decided that it is time to give some love back to this amazing community. Being there and doing that, I know very well that trying to learn the "how to" and the "secrets" by following pictorials and some textual input is not always the best way to figure it out. So you are blessed this time with a video guide :p

There are many topics about this issue, with many members trying various methods. hand polishing with a toothpick, credit card and cape cod method, wire brush etc..
Doing it the pro way is easier than what you might think, produces amazing results and it is super close to gen finish. If done correctly, you will need a loop to see the difference.

What you will need:
  1. Dremel or similar rotary tool(with flex shaft)
  2. Pegwood (you can use a toothpick - it's way more brittle but much easier to shape)
  3. polishing compounds: I use 2 different compounds ( dialux green and manzerna white ) you can use whatever brand you want. After trying many brands and "grits" this is what i like to use and this is what produces the best results for me.
  4. sanding papers / small files to shape the wood
  5. fast drying super glue (optional)
  6. fine beach sand or sand blasting powder -fine (optional)
  7. stand/vise - optional - provides better stability for increased precision
Quick step by step guide:
Place the shortened wood into the bit holder/shaft and start shaping it going slowly (otherwise you will break it as it gets thinner). apply only moderate pressure.
Prepare at least 3-4 since you will break them until you get the hold of it.
In the video, i demonstrate only one stage polishing but i do 2 stages. l start with light pressure on the green compound stick for 6-7 seconds followed by high luster finishing compound stick for only 1-2 second quick passes for each scallop.
Feed your stick with compound every 3-4 scallops.

### Optional -- vertical scratches per gen (although horizontal finished scallops do exist!).
this requires very steady hands, you can scratch your bezel badly if you are not carefull.
As you can see in the video, you will apply some super glue and sprinkle some sand/sand blasting powder on top of it.
dont dip it or pack it with the powder, a little goes a long way.

Notes:
always remove the insert since you will need to clean the scallops thoroughly between compounds. Your cleaning agent can be harsh on the insert paint, stain it or remove it.
You need to clean it well. You do not want any old compound residue on the scallops. For the purposes of this video and to save time for the demo i have not removed the insert.
Best way to clean compound residue is creating a solution for ultrasonic cleaner using water + small amount of household ammonia + dish soap. once clean, rinse it with water.
No ultrasonic? wipe thoroughly with alcohol.
The second stage is absolutely not necessary, and you do not want to over polish it. The gen finish is not high luster.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Cheers

Y

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

yosimiz

Known Member
11/8/12
Today's wrist shot: v9 - finished scallops

Xv7Jb.md.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Awesome work bro and great video. Thanks for sharing.

breitlingwatch

11/9/10
I spent hours with the cape cod and credit card... I wish I had this before!!

Nice work and probably one of the most underrated mods you can do. It really shines like gen after this mod

yosimiz

Known Member
11/8/12
Thanks guys.. More coming soon :)
Some aof them I did sometime a go and had no time to edit and publish.. And some will be shoot once I get the latest gen parts order.

- Clasp gen mod (chamfering per gen) and sandblasting inner part around the rolex.
- sel mod - shaving/sanding to lowering SELs height.
- playing with crystal height
- gen like brushing with abrasive rubber wheel, some call it stone..

And a complete franken build tut for 116610 and some for 116710 (where it's different) with bezel installation, xtal change and cleaning, dw install on sh+sa, dial and hand swap, de-dusting, dw shaving for a-eta dwo.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

pt1803

21/8/14
this is excellent, I've been looking into this the past days. I've got an 8220 Dremel here which is 5000rpm at the lowest. How high should I go with the intensity for the pre finish/finish ? I've also got dialux green here, I see that you use it for the pre finish, I do use the dialux grey for the super finish. Did you ever work with that one ?

did you also try to polish the upper part of the bezel or the rehaut inside ? I suppose these also contribute to the gen-like sheen.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Subscribed

cheers mate on some great techniques! Looking forward to see the chamfers trick, I need to do this on my ST 5 digit sub case

yosimiz

Known Member
11/8/12
this is excellent, I've been looking into this the past days. I've got an 8220 Dremel here which is 5000rpm at the lowest. How high should I go with the intensity for the pre finish/finish ? I've also got dialux green here, I see that you use it for the pre finish, I do use the dialux grey for the super finish. Did you ever work with that one ?

did you also try to polish the upper part of the bezel or the rehaut inside ? I suppose these also contribute to the gen-like sheen.

Yep, I have the dialux gray but gray is not for miror finish mate. It is more aggressive than green.
I use it to remove light to medium scratches that do not require buffing. Green comes always after gray. For super finish on SS you can use dialux blue.
Look for dialux color chart Google.

i do polish the bezel only if it's scratched. I refrain from polishing if it is not absolutely needed. For the rehaut I use Newspaper (with the green compound) and do it by hand if I "need" to ( this will not"fuck" your rehaut and much safer on laser engraving)

lawlessflyer ,thanks mate. Hopefully this weekend

Reactions: Blaze20