• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage Paint & Lume the Daevildog Way - Modem Killer!!!

daevildog

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/4/10
This is how I achieve my vintage finish and resin-fill/lume my dials...organized in 3 sections. I use spray cans, so no spray/paint gun or other expensive equipment. There is variability in the results, so practice and having to redo your paint job will happen. Sometimes I have had to repaint a dial 8-12 times to be satisfied with the result. Dials sprayed from 12-16 inch distance in motion where you spray past the dial (adjusting distance closer will create bigger paint blotches). This tutorial will show painting of two dials, one vintage brown (A) and other more vintage reddish-brown (B) dial.

Items need:
-Tamiya spray paints: Light Sand (TS-46); Red Brown (TS-1); Maroon (TS-11); and Flat Clear (TS-80)
-Laquer Thinner (Tamiya Lacquer Thinner)
-Dials
-White Crayon
-Toothpicks
-Compressed Gas Duster
-Lume (WatchLume Gmax and Vintage Lumes)
-Testor's Glosscote Lacquer
-Paper Towels
-1200 Grit Sandpaper

1. PAINTING

Starting with Items Needed for painting of Dials:
DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

Starting with the unfinished/raw dial (Sjever's TO dials):
DSC_0150.jpg

A. Vintage Brown Dial

Paint even/layer of Light Sand (TS-46):
DSC_0161.jpg

Immediately, while first layer is still wet, paint very light layer of Red Brown (TS-1):
DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

Blow some air lightly on dial to encourage slight mixing of paint layers with your mouth:
DSC_0158.jpg

Quickly, while paint still wet, spray a final, thin and even layer of Red Brown (TS-1) and the finished dial:
DSC_0160.jpg

Blow some more air to lightly encourage more slight mixing of paint layers, with your mouth.

Reddish-Brown Dial:

Process repeated again with second dial, this time an additional paint layer with Maroon (TS-11) is used

Paint even/layer of Light Sand (TS-46):
DSC_0151.jpg

Immediately, while paint still wet, spray even light layer of Maroon (TS-11)
DSC_0162.jpg

Wait a couple seconds, then while paint still wet, spray very thin layer of Red Brown (TS-1):
DSC_0178.jpg

Blow some air lightly on dial to encourage slight mixing of layers (with your mouth)

Immediately, while paint wet, spray final thin layer of Red Brown (TS-1):
DSC_0177.jpg

Blow some air lightly on dial to encourage slight mixing of layers (with your mouth)

Finished dial after last coat of paint:
DSC_0185.jpg

The dials after paint has dried:
DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

Use 1200 Grit Sandpaper to improve finish... Just run very lightly across surface of dial to remove some of top layer of paint and expose lower layer... blow off/clean any debris off of dial. Apply no pressure onto dial or you will take too much paint off!!!
DSC_0195.jpg

If you screw up, do some touch up of dial. Spray some paint on scrap paper and use small brush to touch up/paint over defect:
DSC_0194.jpg

2. WAX FILLING OF ENGRAVINGS

Wax-fill using crayon. Go over engravings in circular motion while pressing wax/crayon gently into engravings:
DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

Once wax filled engraving, carefully wipe off excess wax with a paper towel. If take off too much wax, reapply more crayon.
DSC_0192.jpg

Completed Wax Filled Dials:
DSC_0193.jpg

Spray dial with two coats of Flat Clear (TS-80) to seal paint and wax fill - discourages chipping of paint:
DSC_0196.jpg

3. LUMING/RESIN-FILLING

Items you will need:
DSC_0197.jpg

I use the Gmax and Vintage Lume in different proportions to adjust color of lume/resin fill. Mix lume with Testor's Glosscote Lacquer in 1:3 proportion in disposable contact containers. With dial upside down and using toothpick, push lume mix across dial, it will fall into numbers into indices....in a window wiper-like motion...DO NOT PUST MIX INTO INDICES AND NUMBERS...you will overfill!!!
DSC_0198.jpg

Completed lumed/resin filled dials (reddish dial has more yellowish lume mix):
DSC_0201.jpg

Place in little stand made out of crossed toothpicks. Let dry 5-10 minutes, faced up... then use Compressed Gas Duster or Air Gun to push the lume slightly to give that recessed/sandwich dial look....Be very careful or you will blow lume out of dial!!!:
DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

The resulting dial with the slightly recessed lume mix in indices/numbers:
DSC_0202.jpg

Let dry, covered, so dust does not get into lume/resin mix. Drying face up will use gravity to reinforce recessed lume mix. Pictured with refinished Southy RP dial I did yesterday...now dry:
DSC_01242.jpg

The drying finished dials!!!!:
DSC_0201.jpg

And the lume shots:
DSC_01243.jpg

DSC_01252.jpg

Thanks for reading...

kohanjj

21/6/10
Beautiful work! Wasn't sure of the end results when I saw the Maroon coat go on, but excellent results.

Never thought of using white crayon! Wonder what (if anything) excessive heat would do to the crayon, or if the sealer coat would keep things where they should be.

Great demo on luming too, some very good tips there!

Rep points added!

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Thanks for taking the time to prepare this, these tutorial threads are great learning tools even if one is not a modder!

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
good stuff here. PM me if you'd be interested in making a couple custom fantasy pieces. :)

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
Woah, those look exceptionally nice! Good work

mroz

13/10/09
Awesome, simply awesome!

+Rep for taking the time to post this - you've insipred me.

Thanx.

J.Prime

I'm Pretty Popular
Trusted Dealer
11/4/10
This is a great thread!! I have a dial in need of this, nice to see how it's done!!