• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen datedisc on SH3135

ceri88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/6/17
Good evening at all
could you plese help me?
I find one gen datedisc for 3135, it is easy to fit it in the SH3135?
is necessary mod it or is plug and play??
thanks
BR

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Unfortunately its not plug and play, there are two ways of fitting this to the SH 3135. In principle the gen datewheel is ever do slightly bigger in diameter than the stock SH. Your choices are, either shave the diameter of the gen datewheel or remove one of the outer date wheel jewels.

If you choose to sand it down, go gently with this, you only need around 0.1 mm off the diameter. shave it too much and you will have an erratic date change

Talha

9/6/17
Unfortunately its not plug and play, there are two ways of fitting this to the SH 3135. In principle the gen datewheel is ever do slightly bigger in diameter than the stock SH. Your choices are, either shave the diameter of the gen datewheel or remove one of the outer date wheel jewels.

If you choose to sand it down, go gently with this, you only need around 0.1 mm off the diameter. shave it too much and you will have an erratic date change

which method would you prefer?

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
I prefer to sand the datewheel, why remove a jewel that should be there and is part of the date change function

Talha

9/6/17
I prefer to sand the datewheel, why remove a jewel that should be there and is part of the date change function

Thank you for your reply. Now I have to check if I have the balls to do it :D

nonox

30/3/12
I am also interested to know more about sand the DW. I will have to install a gen DW within a few days and I will have to choose between sanding or midifying the calendar plate

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've not done this on a datewheel but I've shaved some aluminum inserts down to fit and I can't imagine it would be any different. Start by measuring the datewheel diameter so you know how much to take off. Hold the datewheel on edge and abrade it on top of a piece of sandpaper, starting with a very fine grit, maybe 1000. Swipe and roll it across the sandpaper, drawing it towards you as you roll. Don't press very hard til you get a feel for how much it's taking off. You should get about a quarter turn of the datewheel per swipe. Rotate the datewheel after every swipe and roll, to abrade the same amount throughout its diameter. Overlap the swipes slightly since the tendency will be to reduce pressure at the end of each roll. After each complete revolution of the wheel (4-5 swipes and rolls) measure the diameter and assess how much you've taken off. Use your digital calipers to help you see if the shaving is non-uniform and correct it if not. Adjust your grit of sandpaper as needed. Don't take too much off.

And the most important tip: PRACTICE first on a throwaway datewheel!

nonox

30/3/12
ok thank you very much for these explanations.
this should help me a lot

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
ok thank you very much for these explanations.
this should help me a lot

Something else I just thought of. Since your printed date disc will likely be on the datewheel while you are sanding it, you need to make sure it stays clean. Sanding dust is dirty. Wear latex gloves or finger cots. I would also go so far as to cut a round piece of masking tape and cover the date disc to within .3mm or so of the outer perimeter. Use a fresh roll of good quality masking tape or painters tape. I have used masking tape on datewheels before without issue. I used it to keep a datewheel from shifting while I reset a date changer spring.

iHb0R.jpg

iHWjZ.jpg

timto1388

16/10/16
United Kingdom
Use the screw size 1.4mm
Lift up the stubs just slightly enough to give datewheel extra space to move , I never have to sand down the datewheel the % of risk is very high ..........why ??? .....because when u sand it and it become unbalanced the date number will sit off center , you just need be to patient and use 1.4 screw to lift up stubs carefully then install datewheel in if it still abit tight u can use petwood to push the datewheel’s teeth around let datewheel get used to the spin of date plate .....good luck

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: KJ2020 and stufuse

nonox

30/3/12
thanks for your advices guys

I receive the watch in a few days.

I admit that I am not comfortable with this mod. there is a risk in all cases.

If I sand the dw , there is a risk of damaging it and it costs me 200 € to replace it.
if I lift the studs there is a risk that they break or they jump and I lose them and I am forced to buy a date plate and it cost me 200/300€ for a gen but after il will fit but only if I can find one.

I’ve tried to lift the studs on a broken 3135 that I have and I broke two of the three studs but I used a screwdriver of 0.4 and I probably pulled too hard. one flew away and I lost it and the other I was able to put in his place.

I would not have a second chance with the gen datewheel and the sh3135 calendar plate.

I could be lucky and the DW will fit without moding ... who knows :)

I imagine that if lifting the studs a little way to free the dw is that the difference is minimal.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Use a throwaway DW and practice on it. It's not hard to keep a uniform diameter. Just take it slow and don't be aggressive.