• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To: Bracelet Rattle Fix

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Prior to performing the bracelet rattle fix, you may want to address the sharpness of your bracelet. When you take it apart (from the watch case and clasp) and prior to lubing it, you may want to take some medium-fine grit sand paper and dull the edges. A little at a time. You can take more off, but you can't put it back on once its gone.

Braceletsanding.jpg

Onto the show... The hollow mid link bracelet on my sub made more noise than a virgin on
prom night. Now it's as quiet as a celibate mute. Let me explain..

I'm into biking, mountain biking specifically. My first job was actually in a bikeshop. I decided to test my theory that a really high end bicycle power train dry lube would solve bracelet rattle. (this is not the same dry lube used on watch movements)

Let me tell you, it works. Not only does it work, it cleans the bracelet,
protects it, and basically time-release waxes it.

I used Rock N Roll Extreme chain lube.

DSC00678.jpg

(links updated by R2D4)
Mfg's Website. Call in your order.

http://www.rocklube.com/extreme.htm

Product on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&ie=UTF8&qid=1383920841&sr=1-10&condition=new

White lightning or a similar product should work as well. Go to a bike shop
and ask for dry lube for the chain. Dry lube should have sediment at the bottom of the bottle-

DSC00682.jpg

Here's what you do:

This isn't like 3 in 1 oil, where a drop or two will do ya. Remove the bracelet from the watch. Remove the clasp and divers extension from the bracelet, they aren't going into the bath. Place the bracelet in a ziplock. Shake the lube vigorously then immediately squirt a healthy
stream on the bracelet in the bag. Work it into the links, move the bracelet around in the ziplock, work the lube into the links all
around. Sometimes you will get some dark residue and dirt out of these bracelets as the first job of this type of lubrication is to clean the dirt and grime off of metal.

Next, pull the bracelet out of the bag and place it in your sink. let it sit and dry for a few. The solvent will evaporate and the wax in the
dry lube will begin to set. After a minute or two, wash your bracelet with a drop or two of dish soap and cold water. Let dry, then buff with a towel.

DSC00681.jpg

No oily residue. No rattle. Great feel.

IMG_6626.jpg

All things considered, if they were forced to choose; i'd bet virgins on
prom night would probably prefer the nipple cream. I know, I digress.

nipcre.jpg

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Very good idea, although I just wear them until they get full of dirt, hair, sweat and body oil. Seems to do the same thing over time. :wink:

Reactions: dubhdubhdubh

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
when i wear watches, sweat and body oil comes up through the links making the polished center links smudged looking. i wipe down the watch and bracelet as needed but i scrub them after about 1 week of use with a soft, worn out tooth brush and liquid jewelry cleaner. if i put something else on it would even be more of a problem.

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
I'm sure being dirty works too guys, but it's probably not for everyone. :lol:

Sounds like neither of you swim with your reps. My father doesn't either, and has oily skin. We both have these 16610's and before finding this trick I was always jealous of his bracelet feel!

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
WD40? Baby oil? You guys still using this stuff? Time for a bump!

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
That sounds perfect!!! I've been using Rem Oil spray (teflon gun oil). It dries very clean, but the dry chain lube would probably work even better.

Reactions: dubhdubhdubh

GA400

6/6/07
Thanks!

Did this process this weekend on a variety of bracelets - it made all of them more quiet and improved the appearance of all them.

Thanks for the tip!

GA400

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
Did this just now on my new Steve McQueen Explorer bracelet. What a difference. Clean, shiny, and quiet.

Thanks Stan and P4GTR!

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
Updated 6/8/11

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
Love the baby oil trick... but I was too lazy to take off the strap.. now there's like an oily residue on the crystal and I have to keep washing it.... Hope after a while it goes away.

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
Just did this using White Lightning Clean Ride that I had laying around. Works like a charm. One thing I did do extra was the center pivot on the clasp. It dramatically improved the feel when opening/ closing the clasp.

Edit: Rep for you, P4GTR.

st_nick

Horology Curious
2/8/09
Thanks P4GTR, just got a bottle of white lightning in the mail and did 2 bracelets for watches that I have out for service at the moment. They feel a whole lot more like some of the nicer gen bracelets I have now, and the cleaning is not to be underestimated. The ziploc was filthy when I was through.

Will definitely be running a few more through in the coming days. Thanks!

Reactions: Captainunderpants

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
Thanks, glad you like it.

boostin20

Put Some Respect On My Name
8/9/10
USA
I've done over a dozen bracelets with the White lightning. I stopped washing them with soap and water after the lube dries. Now I just use a t-shirt and polish off the excess. Now, bracelets are more silky smooth than ever.

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Awesome idea. I just, bought some white lightening and lubed all by bracelets and my wife's j12, works well too.

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Doing this tonight! All my local bike shop had was Pedro's. Hope it works...

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
So Pedro's wasn't dry lube. It was basically oil. Idiot at the bikeshop didn't know the diff.

Anyway, ordered some Rock n' Roll off fleabay. Got it the other night and did the bracelet on my SSD and my ceramic sub. Gotta say, that stuff is the shiznit! Totally quiet and even feels a little different on the wrist.

Thanks for the recommendation!

investinwaffles

Renowned Member
16/6/11
Should I attempt this on my Gen breitling PRO II?
Want to make it like new again :D

Gonna pick up a bottle and try it on my rep skyland pro II first :p

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
Don't see what it would hurt doing it on a gen...