• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Waterproof or not?: Guide to helping your reps survive water

pavalov

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/6/17
Shame the images don't load up anymore, this would be very helpful!

D

d4m.test

Can we find the original links to the pictures and re host them?

D

d4m.test

I just re-read this whole post- Ibsthere anyway to get the original photos back? Super informative post on waterproofing either way! I am about to start the process. . .

Hakai

11/6/18
Great Tutorial: Just sealed the shit out of my Sea Dweller! Thanks was fun and learned a lot!

Reactions: johnlogan

newrepper

13/6/18
Hey, I just went to a local precision time and had my watch pressure tested. The lady said that it passed, but when i asked up to how many atm she said she only tested to 1 atm. How deep is it safe to go with pressure tested to 1 atm.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
Hey, I just went to a local precision time and had my watch pressure tested. The lady said that it passed, but when i asked up to how many atm she said she only tested to 1 atm. How deep is it safe to go with pressure tested to 1 atm.

You can swim & shower with it! No diving or jumping off cliffs.

Save

29/8/16
Italy
**deleted-post moved in an other topic**

Last edited:

TeddyPerkins

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/6/18
Ohio
Great read. Purchasing my first rep a few months back has had me skeptical on waterproofing and how to go about it. Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mp1mancini

Wear It - Love It
Supporter
Certified
2/11/16
CONUS
So with all this talk about having others test for water proofness.

Does anyone have an opinion/experience on those $100-200 testers selling on eBay to do it yourself?

Surftime

Known Member
15/10/17
SEACOAST
I use one. I think it’s a great cheap option. I surf with some of my reps, and it is great way to test them for water resistance. All of my reps that have passed the test have been waterproof. I have had a few fail during testing and even blown out a crystal- but possibly due to my being overly aggressive with releasing pressure. Those rep/gen don’t get to go in the ocean with me.

Reactions: mp1mancini

TheKnight

16/11/18
do you know the best places to get replacement gaskets for tudors/rolex's? lets say i buy a rep and want original gaskets everywhere. where can i got to get them?

John_Mary

2/5/15
USA
I have had a few fail during testing and even blown out a crystal- but possibly due to my being overly aggressive with releasing pressure.

For the one that had the crystal popped out, how much pressure did you apply ? Or was it purely just because pressure was released too quickly?

Reactions: Surftime

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
The crystal blowing out can occur when the pressure differential between the inside is significantly higher than the outside. This is a worst case scenario and occurs when the watch has failed pressure testing and equalized to the higher pressure. this is why it's important to go slow in releasing pressure. I've had this happen once, and same thing, I released pressure way too fast.

John_Mary

2/5/15
USA
The crystal blowing out can occur when the pressure differential between the inside is significantly higher than the outside. This is a worst case scenario and occurs when the watch has failed pressure testing and equalized to the higher pressure. this is why it's important to go slow in releasing pressure. I've had this happen once, and same thing, I released pressure way too fast.

Makes sense! Awesome, thats what i need to know. Thanks!

Sent from the RWI App

Inpakuto

You're Saying I Can Sell?
MULTI ACCOUNT
13/2/18
Holy smokes, now I just realised why my keyless works broke on my 114300 lol, I pressed the release button all the way down like a dumbass. I tried to repair it and ended up putting everything back together 90% of the way and gave up. Now it sits dejected in my collection, unworn.