• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Removing 6497 movement from Pam 111h...

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Here’s a quick tuto on how to de-case your Pam for any of you out there who aren’t sure how to do it...

Here’s a selection of tools you may find useful, when I do any work on my watches, I always do it over a micro-fibre cloth. If you drop any small parts it has the knack of catching them instead of them bouncing into oblivion off a hard surface.

Removing the strap using a mobile phone precision screwdriver set off the bay, good quality at a cheap price, ideal for screws too big for jewellers screwdrivers.

I make a habit of putting the bracelet/strap screws back onto the watch head so I can’t misplace them.

Lift up the cg lever and remove the two screws,

Notice in this pic the crown just pulled out of the movement, this shouldn’t happen at this stage and is the reason why I’m working on the watch,

Next, remove the caseback. I’m using an ‘Horb’ it’s basically a rubber ball that you press firmly against the caseback and twist, works everytime,

This is the screw that should hold/release the crown stem. You only need to turn it approx. 2 turns to release the stem.
(DO NOT COMPLETELY UNSCREW IT!!!)

Remove the two movement holder screws and tabs,

I find a small piece of rodico on the end of a toothpick is an invaluable tool for picking up or positioning the screws/tabs,

Place a piece of greaseproof paper over the movement,

Turn the watch over whilst holding the paper in position to support the movement,

Finally, replace the caseback finger tight onto the watch head and put the crown back in the tube to prevent dust etc getting on the inside of the watch/crystal. Place the movement in a movement vice/holder, taking care to position it carefully so as not to foul/damage the balance spring and cover with a bowl or put in a suitable container, again to prevent dust/debris getting into the movement.

Remember, I'm self taught working on watches but these methods work for me. If the more knowledgeable members think I'm doing anything incorrectly, let me know and I'll edit this post accordingly...

Next mini-tuto, removing the dial/handset and replacing a sheared set lever screw...

Cheers, Bobby... :wink:

edit: one of my pics disappeared, fixed...

D

d4m.test

Very nice tutorial, and great pictures. Also a nice collection of tools! I am really glad to see that more people are willing to take on small projects like this!
Keep us posted with your progress!
T

watchblog

21/12/07
Nice Tutorial. I especially like the tip about unscrewing the crown stem only 2 turns to release the stem. I wish I had read that when I first started working on these movements.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Great to know as I will be luming a Pam VERY soon. Thanks!

pdnb

13/9/08
if you are only replacing the stem (if had fallen out) you don't need to remove the movement correct? You just need to:
1) remove case back
2) insert stem/crown
3) retighten set screw
4) close case back

BTW, where do I get an ORB/rubber ball

Thanks!

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Yes, normally this would fix it but the set lever screw had sheared, a movement out bridge off job. It's all fixed and running fine now.

You can get an Horb off the bay for not a lot of money... :wink:

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
pdnb said:
if you are only replacing the stem (if had fallen out) you don't need to remove the movement correct? You just need to:
1) remove case back
2) insert stem/crown
3) retighten set screw
4) close case back

BTW, where do I get an ORB/rubber ball

Thanks!

Not necessarily, you might have already cocked up the keyless works.

smithy37

3/2/09
Thanks Sconehead.

This is the sort of thing that is inspiring me to undertake a repair on one of my watches. I have the tools, now all I need is the practice.

Here goes!

Industril

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/5/09
Are the pictures all gone or is it just me? Would someone mind rehosting the images please?

crazyfastbeats

28/9/09
nice tutorial, but what happened to the "Officine Panerai" text on the movement on the last pic? lol

joechou

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/9/10

I´m a spammer and got gangbanged for that.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Do these pice disappear and then come back somehow. I would love to look at the pics that go with this tutorial. Maybe links to the pics are broken or something. If someone could fix that would be fantastic!