• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch Polishing

gicodegan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/6/16
Hi watch lovers!
I live in a small city in Brazil, and it's hard to find nice places to polish my collection. I have a Rolex GMT-II, a Rolex Day-Date, and the classic sub. I bought this micro machine that has a lot of functions including a Polish set. I was hoping that you guys help me to make it without doing something stupid [emoji23]
Since the bracelets are different and may demand a different kind of work.

e5df077a0672fff1eb833367d48f2d24_thumb.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Dirt, greasy skin oils, sweat and grime dull the finish of a watch....Get a bottle of Dawn dishwashing liquid and lather up your watches well, then thoroughly rinse and towel dry with a soft cloth....your watches will look brand new...I'd be very careful with a Dremel...great little tool, but can burn into the stainless steel and end up ruining the finish of your watch.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I agree, polishing SEEMS easy but it isn't. Especially on mixed polished/brushed areas like the GMT bracelet.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
It may be best to do the soap as outlined above to see if it really needs further work. In my mind, using a motorized polisher like that is only worth it if there are deep scratches or you are applying rouge to a gold finish. For the latter, a bench mounted grind wheel with a soft pad works very well and gives you more room for error (i.e. a large surface which will prevent 'digging' into the work piece). For the former, it usually adds good character and isn't worth polishing out IMO.

Hope you have fun with the Olympics in your home nation!

gicodegan

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/6/16
Thanks everyone for the answers!
I bought the dremel for other kind of work and when I saw the polishing kit, took it just in case.
I usually wash with soap, the usual. but my GMT has a risk i little deeper than that

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Dawn is best for cleaning the daily grime. A jeweler friend told me to use a non abrasive tooth paste on a very soft tooth brush to really bring out the luster on metals like S/S and gold. Use like warm water. Dry with an absorbent towel, like a car detail cloth. Have used it on my gen and reps, TT, AS and gold. Works on sapphire crystals, diamonds, stones as well. Always test on a small inconspicuous area first. Light brushing on gloss areas and with the grain on satin finishes.
Gives it a nice minty smell too!

Reactions: Dishpro01
D

d4m.test

I use cape cod clothes for Polishing, gentle brushing with 0.01 sand paper, everything by hand for small touch ups.

A machine is more dangerous playing between polis and brush finish.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI