• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To: Easy fix for automatic winding issues (2824/2836)

Tickleshoes

Renowned Member
Supporter
19/8/15
45th Parallel
I should start by saying this won't fix all winding issues, but I've found that hand winding clone 2824-2 and 2836-2 movements can lead to mangled gears in the automatic winding bridge. If you find that the oscillating weight spins when you hand wind, or it just doesn't feel "right" this could be the source of (and easy fix for) your problem!

We'll be replacing the reversing pawls with Gen ETA parts. I typically replace them straight away as they're cheap (~$30) and add a better winding feel. You can find them online at OFrei or searching for ETA parts #1488 and #1530 Reversing Pawls. My pictures go a little further than you have to because I also clean the movement and oil the mainspring. They typically come bone dry! You don't even have to remove the movement to do this, so keep that in mind. Let's get started:

Here is the piece I'll be working on today. A JF v7 Diver from Prof Steve
IMG_1057.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

Next, after the caseback is removed (Remember, no need to remove the movement if you don't need to):
IMG_1061.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

Remove the center screw releasing the oscillating weight:
IMG_1062.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

Now we can see the two gold/bronze colored gears that are sandwiched together. You can also see the two screws (in black) which will need to be removed to take out the winding bridge. A closer look:
IMG_1064.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

They allow the watch to wind regardless of which direction the weight swings. Really amazing engineering! Once the bridge is released we can start breaking it down. One screw will remove the bottom plate of the winding bridge:

IMG_1073.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

IMG_1074.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

And removed:
IMG_1075.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

Once the old wheels are removed and the jewels are cleaned of any old oil (as if!), we can add some proper lube. I'm using Moebius 9010:
IMG_1076.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

Here is a shot of Gen part (on the left) and the clone (on the right). They look pretty much identical, but with a much better fit/finish on the Gen part. The metal is just a little softer on the clone and that leads to worn gearing, unsandwiching of the pawls, or broken jewels. Here is where you can get a sense of the workings. Inside these tiny gears are clutch levers, springs and jewels. They lock the gears together when spun in one direction and allow them to sping independently in the other. When used in tandem they're able to transfer power to the mainspring when the rotor spins in either direction:

IMG_1077.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

And that's pretty much it. Put the gears back in the way they came out, assembly is the same process reversed, and you're good to go! Oh!, ETA oil guide also advises 2 drops in each pawl. I also use 9010 for this. Good luck!

IMG_1079.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

Reactions: KJ2020

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Very interesting, and it seems easy enough. Thanks!

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Thanks. That was cool. I don't know if I have the patience or the eyesight to do that.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
i wanna see him oil the mainspring

Tickleshoes

Renowned Member
Supporter
19/8/15
45th Parallel
i wanna see him oil the mainspring

Is that a challenge? Kidding! I didn't take many pictures of that process. You do have to remove the ratchet wheel on top of the barrel and then the barrel bridge. LEAVE THE CROWN WHEEL ON! The click and clickspring are under there and they tend to go flying and are a b**** to get back in. Also, the crown wheel screw is reverse threaded so if you DO feel the need to take it off, keep that in mind or you'll be buying a new screw :)

Once the barrel is out, set it geared-side down on a hard surface, and press on gears. The arbor should push the top off. From there you'll end up with this:
IMG_1082.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

Bone dry! Now you could just add a few drops of Moebius 8200 and call it a day, but I have a few gen mainsprings, so I just replaced it straight away ($18). This also allows me to get oil on the top of the barrel (it's upside down) If you do replace the spring, make sure you put it in the right way!:

IMG_1081.jpg%3Fraw%3D1

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
cool, TY !!! :)

Tatort

Horology Curious
9/7/17
Hi thanks for sharing. Any chance to get the pictures back they are not showing unfortunately:(

sickopsycho

15/6/19
NC, USA
Yeah I wish the pics were still up as well. Thanks for the great info, though. I posted another thread in the tech section regarding this issue. I actually ran across this thread searching for a solution, but got confused when the reversing wheels were referred to as the "pawls". When I think pawls, i was thinking of the magic levers in the 7s26. Anyhow, between the knowledge shared on my thread and the info from this one- I'm taking on the repair myself. Wish me luck!

Reactions: KJ2020