• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO: Read & use the markings on a bezel.

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
As simple as this topic sounds, a good number of newcomers to the horological world might not understand the true functions of the bezel on their very own wrists. So, here's a quick & easy summation on what those numbers mean.

There are a few different types of bezels marked for any number of things, such as calculation of distance, time, speed, etc. But the two most popular marked bezels are for calculating speed (e.g. the Rolex Daytona, the Omega Speedmaster, the Panerai 212):

rolex-daytone2.jpg

DSC04977.jpg

DSC056901.jpg

And bezels for counting down time (e.g. the Rolex Submariner, the Omega Seamaster, the IWC Aquatimer):

DSC_6804.jpg

974891008_8211fcb05b.jpg

IW371903.jpg

The bezel on a chronometer such as the Daytona, is essentially a speedometer, like the one on your car; it's used to clock speed, but on a distance of one mile, only. So the numbers on the bezel actually represent MPH (miles per hour). In order to be able to use the bezel as such, the watch must come with a stop-watch function, or a chronograph.

>>>>>Here's how you use the bezel in conjunction with the chronograph, to clock the speed of a moving object:

If the distance between point A & point B on a track (be it for horses or cars) is exactly 1 mile, then the second the moving object you're timing passes point A, you start the chronograph--the second the moving object passes point B, you stop the chronograph. Wherever the large second hand on the chronograph stops (on the bezel), is the exact MPH the object was traveling. In the picture below, a car clocked on the track between points A & B, appears to be traveling 160 MPH:

IMG_0001-8.jpg

However, an exact reading only applies to an object moving at an exact speed (i.e. only going 160 MPH, no less, no more). If a car is varying in speed (i.e. it's doing 150 MPH in the turns and 170 MPH on the straight-a-way, the bezel is telling it's average speed; 160 MPH.

An easier example would be, if you're driving at 60 MPH, then you're traveling exactly 1 mile for every minute that passes. Which is why the 60 is at the top of the bezel, at the 12 o'clock position--if it took a full 60 second rotation of the chronograph hand for you to travel between points A & B--the time to travel exactly one mile--then you're going exactly 60 miles per hour. And that's how this particular bezel is used as a tachymeter, or speedometer.

This is why, as you follow the hands clockwise on a Daytona, the bezel markings go down in number; the longer it takes you to travel a distance, the slower you're traveling it.

Of course, using the bezel as a tachymeter only applies to an object traveling at a constant rate of speed. For instance, if a car was going from 0 to 60 MPH, and this took 8 seconds, if you're matching the chronograph hand to the bezel, you'll see 8 seconds reflects a speed of 400 miles an hour--this is obviously incorrect:

IMG_0002-5.jpg

By doing this, you're calculating time and not speed (i.e. 0-60 MPH = 8 seconds, not 0-60 MPH = 400 MPH), so you should be matching the chronograph hand with the seconds markers on the dial and not the markings on the bezel.

>>>>>Here's how to use the bezel on a diver's watch as a countdown clock:

Unlike a tachymeter bezel (or tachometer, for we Americans :) )--which starts at 400 MPH and counts down to stop at 60 MPH at the 12 o'clock position--a diver's watch bezel is labeled 0-60 minutes (and line up exactly with the hour markers on the dial), and are labeled counting up, traveling clockwise with the watch hands, as such:

IMG_0003-6.jpg

A watch without this bezel cannot be called a true "divers watch" (as it does not not comply with ISO 6425 & DIN 8306 standards for divers safety).

The first step is to align the bezel pearl (the 0 hour marker on the bezel) with the minute hand on the watch; this must be done immediately upon starting your dive (the bezel is unidirectional--it only rotates counter-clockwise, so you don't bump it when diving and accidentally move it back to a wrong position, giving you a false reading as to how much air you have left).

If you're starting your dive at 10:45, align the pearl with the minute hand at the 45 minute mark:

IMG_0003-7.jpg

Now, in order to use it properly, you'll be coordinating the watch's minute hand in conjunction with the bezel, and not the dial. So, if you're scuba diving and know your tanks only hold 45 minutes of air, then it's time to emerge when the minute hand reaches the 45 minute mark on the bezel. 45 minutes from the start of your dive at 10:45, would be 11:30:

IMG_0002-4.jpg

Of course, these types of diver's watches are only intended for scuba-diving, and not deep-sea or saturation diving, as most scuba dive watches such as these, can't go to those levels without an HEV (Helium Escape Valve).

Deep-sea divers must first have their bodies decompressed in a diving bell before descending to such incredible depths, and are breathing a mixture of gasses containing lowered nitrogen & oxygen, and more helium & hydrogen (because oxygen becomes toxic at high pressures, causing seizures and other problems, and nitrogen becomes poisonous in the bloodstream).

The primary reason saturation divers don't need the bezel is because they're breathing a completely different mixture of air, fed to them via tubes, and not compressed air tanks, which would implode at those depths; they dive "at saturation", meaning that because they stay for extended periods at such depths, their body tissues become saturated with nitrogen. In fact, they really have no time limit to their dive, other than that caused by the cold and local conditions. They then do their decompression inside decompression chambers, once they reach the surface. So, a timing bezel is not an absolute requirement for saturation divers. In fact, professional divers might not even be able to manipulate a timing bezel with their thick gloves.

And this is why divers watches look & function as they do, in coordination with the bezel.

Of course, sometimes you discover both on the same piece; for deep-sea dive purposes only, occasionally a watch with an HEV will combine both the chronometer/stop-watch and the diver's bezel, on models such as the Omega Seamaster Professional chronograph:

IMG_0009.jpg

Hoped this little explanation helped, and thanks for your time.

jb

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
7/9/06
Another great post! We'll sticky this one for a bit too. :D

ratchpot

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/3/06
gioarmani7428 said:
(the bezel is unidirectional--it only rotates counter-clockwise, so you don't bump it when diving and accidentally move it back to a wrong position, giving you a false reading as to how much air you have left).
gioarmani7428 said:
So, if you're scuba diving and know your tanks only hold 45 minutes of air, then it's time to emerge when the minute hand reaches the 45 minute mark on the bezel. 45 minutes from the start of your dive at 10:45, would be 11:30:
Good post, although you will need to edit it in places because it contains inaccurate information. For example, the bezel on a dive watch has nothing whatsoever to do with timing how much air you have left in the tank and no qualified diver would ever use it for that purpose. Tank air is not timed; it is measured by a device called a submersible pressure guage. The bezel is useful for timing the length of the dive, but not much else.

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
ratchpot said:
gioarmani7428 said:
(the bezel is unidirectional--it only rotates counter-clockwise, so you don't bump it when diving and accidentally move it back to a wrong position, giving you a false reading as to how much air you have left).
gioarmani7428 said:
So, if you're scuba diving and know your tanks only hold 45 minutes of air, then it's time to emerge when the minute hand reaches the 45 minute mark on the bezel. 45 minutes from the start of your dive at 10:45, would be 11:30:
Good post, although you will need to edit it in places because it contains inaccurate information. For example, the bezel on a dive watch has nothing whatsoever to do with timing how much air you have left in the tank and no qualified diver would ever use it for that purpose. Tank air is not timed; it is measured by a device called a submersible pressure guage. The bezel is useful for timing the length of the dive, but not much else.

Thanks for the input. I don't scuba-dive, but with all the gen dive watches I've owned, the manuals do state this is what you can use it for.

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
Just found this post.

It's really usefull, usually i use the bezel like ke SMP only to tell different time zone :)

rarebear

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/7/09
PS:

Read the Time on the BEZEL don't use the Pearl Marker as a Zero and do the math using the mins on the DIAL, count the Minutes off on the BEZEL :)

Took me years to use the bezel correcty for some dumb reason :)

pedecter

6/4/09
Thanks for the post....I'll send it along to some friends that don't know what's up with the finer points on the bezel.

Tmax

Known Member
19/7/10
The tachymetre can be used to time other things not only speed.

Example you time any activity under 1 minute and it reads how many times that would happen per hour.

A Garden sprinkler revoles 360 degrees in 12 seconds meaning it spins 300 times an hour.
etc etc.

Tmax
London UK

Reactions: FourtyTwo

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
The tach also works for the rest of the world! Metric speed ie. Km/hr works aswell. ;)

borntoraisehogs

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/8/10
Thanks for the input. I don't scuba-dive, but with all the gen dive watches I've owned, the manuals do state this is what you can use it for.
Great post. Just as there are many more horses asses than horse's , there are many more dive watches than divers. Only a pedantic horse's ass would find fault with this excellent post and carp about what a qualified diver would or would not do, without mentioning the primary purpose of the bezal is to mark the no decompression time for your dive depth. I use my bezel now days for timing the processing of my homemade pickles. My GMT shows the time in places that do not matter, because unless I am there, nothing of import is happening there.
When I was a pilot I would have loved to have a Rolex GMT, but ZULU time was easy enough to figure even with my $19.99 PX Seiko. I never saw a Rolex GMT on an Air Force, Army, or Marine pilot's arm. Man those things cost 300 dollars in those days. I knew a couple of rich kids whose daddies bought them Air Kings for graduation from flight school, but that was about it.

xorphusx

Looking Around
18/4/10
Sorry, I couldn't resist.....

Great article, as I have always wondered what the daytona bezel is for. I'm moving straight on to the Breitling slide rule article next!

But........

On a dive watch, the bezel can only be used to keep track of dive time and therefore be used to measure no decompression time etc. As air volume changes with depth (air volume reduces proportionally to pressure) and your breathing rate and volume remains fairly constant, the air used vairies greatly with the depth of the dive.

100L of air at the surface would only be 50L at 10m (2atm) deep and only 25L at 30 m (4atm). Ones lung volume is (roughly) the same, so say a lung volume of 2L, then this 100L of air lasts for 50 breaths at the surface, 25 breaths at 10m etc...

At a depth of 30m a tank is going to last half as long as a dive to 10m, assuming all other factors remain constant.

There is no way that a tank of air could have a "time" attached to it unless the depth of the dive was constant (which clearly it can't be as you at least have to descend and ascend).

Not being pedantic, just thought that this great sticky could be improved by making it 100% accurate so other newbies can learn the true use of their watches.

J

Meta4

Renowned Member
26/4/09
100% right Xorph ... and that's not counting the variation due to individual divers respiration rates.
A nervous beginner will go through a tank 2-3x faster than an experienced diver.
A diver working hard uses air much faster than one who is taking it easy.

The watch measures time but knows nothing about what's in the air tank or how long it will last.
That's what a pressure gauge is for.