• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swap your crystal without removing the movement! TUTORIAL (PIC HEAVY)

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Very impressive Q. Although I must say all I have had the nerve to do so far is re size bracelets and even removing a watch strap and putting it back on can frustrate the hell out of me. I am a long way off even considering attempting to do anything like this. It caught my eye because I am a bit frustrated with the crystal on one of mine (not Rolex BTW lol.), which is sitting too high.

Excellent tutorial, very easy to follow, makes it look simple, amazing photography to boot. I can't even manage to take a decent photo with both hands free and nothing else on my mind. Mega praise coming from here for this.

Mr_B

Known Member
20/2/16
UK
Mate this is exactly what I was looking for, would the bezel come off the same with a noob sub-c V6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeran1mo

Known Member
27/7/13
I've been meaning to this for awhile now. Bought the crystal just under a year ago but was always unsure if I can do it.. Do you if I can remove the bezel from this one? Can't remember where I got the watch from..

70f1748087f26e218d2441d55dc6bdbf.jpg

1c294c54f49919ad480e80346a887922.jpg

silentflight

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
14/6/13
What press do you use? And dies?
[MENTION=84501]QueTip[/MENTION]

blackant

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/10/15
My mbw bezel construction is very tight to be took off. Any suggestion to remove it? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
While ur reading this. U can have cigarette too.

7E2E569D-14E9-4CF9-8AD7-C5262F966BAD_zpskwssimr8.jpg

iPwnage

I'm Pretty Popular
1/6/14
I dont want to revive this thread, but I have just ordered a crystal press to follow your guide @QueTip!
Need to re-align the crystal on my WM9, so I think this will be easy to do with this thread :)

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Thank you for the tutorial. I'm stuck with the retaining ring on my tc v7. I just can't get it off. It seems so tight and I can't get a case knife or even a razor blade between it and the midcase. Anyone have any suggestions?

D

d4m.test

Excellent, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

SubSquared

Supporter
Certified
29/12/16
Hey @QueTip
In this picture, there is a gasket on the metal ring, is that the one you said to reuse with the new crystal?
I am thinking about doing this to just replace this gasket but would not want to take the crystal off itself if I dont need to.
This is why I am asking. Thanks for making this tutorial.

Or is there another gasket on the crystal itself.View attachment 83164

machim

19/7/17
QueTip have you seen the crystal stuck with retaining ring after I took it off the case? What is the best way to remove the crystal out of retaining ring ?

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
QueTip have you seen the crystal stuck with retaining ring after I took it off the case? What is the best way to remove the crystal out of retaining ring ?

Anything works. just press the crystal out with your crystal press. Take a die that’s as big as the crystal (not bigger) and it’ll fly off. Make sure to keep track of which is the upper side of your crystal incase it doesn’t have a Cyclops.

rolexlover101

Known Member
29/12/18
Awesome tutorial. I ordered a Prof crystal for the sub and will be swapping it out soon. When pressing the bezel back, should the die/pusher has a notch (or should we cut a little notch) to protect the pearl? Any change you can crack the insert with the pusher pressing on it?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Awesome tutorial. I ordered a Prof crystal for the sub and will be swapping it out soon. When pressing the bezel back, should the die/pusher has a notch (or should we cut a little notch) to protect the pearl? Any change you can crack the insert with the pusher pressing on it?

If you are using a ceramic insert, I highly recommend removing the insert from the bezel before pressing the bezel back onto the case. You can use a heat gun on the removed bezel to soften the glue for easy insert removal.

Reactions: rolexlover101