• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HOW TO: Heavy aging

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
First, let's take a look at our "project watch"....

yzugeqed.jpg

IMO a great looking watch- however we want this watch to be aged about 40-60 years. I like the more 'extreme' aging on some models like this one. So, what we're going to do today is:

- Aging dial
- Aging hands
- Aging bezel insert
- Little aging on case (not explained here, but easy to do using a shoe box filled with all kind of materials and just shaking with the case inside...).

First, let's strip down the watch, take the back off.

7ygusa9e.jpg

Get the movement out :)

atebymag.jpg

Removing the dial (I take this as explained somewhere else, you can use levers or a hand puller tool.

ruta9e2e.jpg

My own designed dial/movement holder which is absolutely great with these kind of projects to hold the dial without touching it, just holding the dial holder:

ysunevyb.jpg

First thing I did is adding a very light layer of laquer, then drying it QUICKLY using a haridryer or something.

5emygaza.jpg

Drying.......

2atuhe7u.jpg

Adding a layer of a micture of tea AND coffee (I use an espresso..)

6u8yqegu.jpg

pasanevu.jpg

qedemepe.jpg

After letting it dry for a while you'll see the result is starting to look nice :)

bety2yta.jpg

Repeat that step for a few times, add drops on spots you want to age heavier, etc. Here's mine:

umy8ever.jpg

As a final step I did add a pattern by using a piece of packaging foam. Like this one:

HSM-Preserve-Hi-Flo-web.jpg

The result:

gupamu5e.jpg

adyqu7ab.jpg

e6ejapy8.jpg

Now, let tht sit for a while and start with your insert. I did the following:

- Remove the pearl
- Use bleach to age the insert

When the pearl is removed you're right looking at the Bezel steel, something I do not like. So I added a layer of dark brown/black paint to the back of the insert too:

9ajytevu.jpg

zenu2ada.jpg

yqypybyn.jpg

To get the insert a bit 'scratched' you just take different grids of sandpaper and play a little bit with it :)

The next step is RELUMING the dial! This model will look so much nicer IMO when having bold old-looking lume. So here we go:

ezyhu6u7.jpg

u8egu4e7.jpg

ujehatyg.jpg

a7ehuqu4.jpg

de3aqyra.jpg

qu8uba4a.jpg

u8umyrem.jpg

Now only the lume needs aging on both dial and hands, to give them an 'old' look just use some tea/espresso mix again and apply it in multiple layers to get the result you are looking for... Here's mine:

ede8ute5.jpg

pygyhyru.jpg

upuza6av.jpg

ede6a7e7.jpg

Now, put everything back together! Here's my result in a video so you can see it in multiple angles:

[youtube]7rljujb08cY[/youtube]

tt88

㊙️ Time does not wait ㊙️
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
15/9/12
Village, of course
looks.......old :D

was that nautilus harmed in any way through the process? :hehehe:

thanks for sharing!

Shooboo

Renowned Member
8/9/13
Wow beautiful guide. Thanks. Would you be willing to send me the watch for closer examination joran :)

Nikoteen

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/12
Nice work....i love doing this sort of stuff...great results

riure

Horology Curious
15/3/11
Good job. Amazing watch!

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

junbug5150

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
24/12/14
Sweet. Hoping to try out something like this soon.

Salvatore

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
27/5/15
Where did you get this rep for the project. I love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scarra

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/5/15
DR3M3L - that is a fantastic mod, love it and the process! One question: what did you do with the packing foam? (apologies, the image took forever to load n my computer...)

zlwelch

13/4/12
Hoosier
DR3M3L - that is a fantastic mod, love it and the process! One question: what did you do with the packing foam? (apologies, the image took forever to load n my computer...)

From the looks of it, I think he dipped the foam in the varnish and dabbed it on for texture.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk