• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rafflesdials Day-Date Whitegold

couchp0tat0

Just a Watchnerd
Banned
Certified
18/4/19
Germany/ EU
Hey fellas,
Recently i have built my vintage Day-Date 18239 White Gold with rafflesdials case set etc..
Here is a quick tutorial since i could not find to many posts about those.. I want to give this Forum something back besides beeing a supporter.

Disclaimer, i know this is not Rolex Watchmaking Quality and i never learned or was trained in this horology watchmaking stuff..

The parts i used were: Vintage Day Date case 36mm made to fit ETA 2836 Movement
And dials 28.5-29mm 49.99$

28.5mm Sunburst Silver Dial with Silvet Sticks for Mens Day-Date watch Fit ETA 2836 or DG 2813 24.99$

​​​​​​20mm Signed SS White Gold President Bracelet Flat Strap End Pieces for Vintage 36mm DayDate watch. 44,99$

DG2813 Automatica Mechanical Movement 8205 Replacement Day Date Silver. 15.99€ + 2.99€ shipping (EBAY)

Luminous watch hands for Miyota 8215,8200 or 2813 Movement. 5.31€ (EBAY China)

Ihad some issues with the raffles hands as they don't fit the Ebay'esk dg2813... I bought the ebay ones. They look a bit too big but.. Who cares in the end its my very first build.

RAFFLESdials states: you need date and day disc overlays, however i can save you the cuppa bucks.. The DG2813 DayDate from ebay and raffles dials work perfectly together.

The Movement spacer ring had to be grinded down with sandpaper just a very little.. Not even 0.1mm if my eye measures are correct.
The crown is easy adjusted with some measures and clippers.. I used my eyes and some tests cutting back just more and more.

The whole build took me roughly about 30mins,
Just to glue the dial on the movement spacer ring was tricky.
Here are some pics of my first ever built watch.

​​​​​
​​​​​​

couchp0tat0

Just a Watchnerd
Banned
Certified
18/4/19
Germany/ EU
Pictures don't do it justice, colors and specialy the dial look way better in real life. Hope this helps anyone who is debating on wether they should go fot a rafflesdials watch set or nah.
The service from Raffles is outstanding and the parts do realy have good quality for the price point. He tells you exactly whay you will need and where to get it.
Cheers lads,
C.P.

Reactions: wizardblizzardwatch

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Congratulations on completing your first watch building project - you should be proud, and you'll enjoy it all the more knowing it's your own handiwork. Bravo!

But beware, it's a highly contagious affliction, and before you know it you'll be scouring the M2M parts section for Vietnam cases, gen dials and handsets... :)

If it were mine, I think I'd be inclined to take the Raffles advice and use a suitable DWO on that 2813 movement. I only mention it because the standard date font on the 2813 is very unlike the Rolex font (it looks more like the Tudor date font), and spoils the overall effect a little.

Anyway, enjoy your new creation, and Happy New Year!

couchp0tat0

Just a Watchnerd
Banned
Certified
18/4/19
Germany/ EU
Congratulations on completing your first watch building project - you should be proud, and you'll enjoy it all the more knowing it's your own handiwork. Bravo!

But beware, it's a highly contagious affliction, and before you know it you'll be scouring the M2M parts section for Vietnam cases, gen dials and handsets... :)

If it were mine, I think I'd be inclined to take the Raffles advice and use a suitable DWO on that 2813 movement. I only mention it because the standard date font on the 2813 is very unlike the Rolex font (it looks more like the Tudor date font), and spoils the overall effect a little.

Anyway, enjoy your new creation, and Happy New Year!
Thanks so much, yes i already looked after a gen explorer case online :).. Addictive as hell.
Cheers,
C.P.

Gesendet von meinem YAL-L41 mit Tapatalk

Invetero

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/11/20
You may want to check my last posts as I built a 1016 using raffles parts and a better bezel from ebay,
unfortunately raffles has changed his oyster cases supplier and honestly they are worse than before, now the 2824 cases have thick lugs and fat caseback... so either you'll have to consider reshaping or finding another case supplier.
BTW you can pm me if you have any questions regarding an explorer build!

couchp0tat0

Just a Watchnerd
Banned
Certified
18/4/19
Germany/ EU
You may want to check my last posts as I built a 1016 using raffles parts and a better bezel from ebay,
unfortunately raffles has changed his oyster cases supplier and honestly they are worse than before, now the 2824 cases have thick lugs and fat caseback... so either you'll have to consider reshaping or finding another case supplier.
BTW you can pm me if you have any questions regarding an explorer build!
Thanks for the advice, i already ordered yesterday...gonna have the good old dremel out then...

Gesendet von meinem YAL-L41 mit Tapatalk

couchp0tat0

Just a Watchnerd
Banned
Certified
18/4/19
Germany/ EU
couchp0tat0 The rafflesdials web site also mentions glueing...is it just the date wheel or does the dial need to be glued to the movement?

Yes if you use another movement than dg2813 you will have to glue both wheels.. Not hard but not like super easy. I used a dg2813 dd movement that just had everything perfectly aligned with date and day windows.
Cheers.
C.P.

blunt_0000

14/5/23
The Internet :)
This is amazing! Congrats to an amazing watch! Can you provide some instructions on how to glue the date and day discs? Because the 2836 has both discs on the same level :/

Reactions: couchp0tat0

couchp0tat0

Just a Watchnerd
Banned
Certified
18/4/19
Germany/ EU
I didn't even glue date discs u don't need to. Parts I named are all compatible with the dial and spacer.
Cheers,
Save the few bucks and invest in a new acrylic crystal instead!

Reactions: blunt_0000

couchp0tat0

Just a Watchnerd
Banned
Certified
18/4/19
Germany/ EU
This is amazing! Congrats to an amazing watch! Can you provide some instructions on how to glue the date and day discs? Because the 2836 has both discs on the same level :/
If u want to glue u have to take apart the movement, instructions are on YT.
Order 2 separate movements...one will fail

Reactions: blunt_0000

QWERTY_Bats

Horology Curious
18/2/21
Did you get any tools for this in particular?

Planning to make a DJ 36 sometime soon

2/5/23
USA
Hey folks, for the benefit of people interested in doing this, it seems like Raffles does not carry this particular dial anymore. The one OP used has a day window that looks closer to a Tudor Date-Day dial, i.e. it would work with a 2834 or a 2813 day-date movement as OP used. But Raffles' current dials have windows that match the genuine windows. So anybody wanting to do this build with a current dial from Raffles will need to use day and date wheel overlays to make it work.

You can see how the day window in OP's dial cuts into the minute/second track in a way that the gen dial and Raffles' current Day-Date dials do not.