• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TAPATALK: How to avoid accidental multiple posts

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
So this problem seems to be a frequent issue for RWI members posting to the forum via Tapatalk. I thought I'd share my own experience of posting to RWI using Tapatalk on my iPhone, and how I avoid posting the same message several times.

Whenever I reply to an RWI thread using Tapatalk, I get the same error message upon tapping "Reply" - usually after a long pause. It happens almost every time (in fact it might even be 100% of the time - I don't recall the last time I posted and didn't get the same result). What I see is a pop-up telling me:

POST ERROR
Sorry, we have been unable to complete your request

At which point, any normal person would think, "Oh, it didn't work. Right, in that case I'll try again."

However, Tapatalk is lying. Your reply has been posted. Don't believe its lies.

So, tap "Cancel" at the top left of the screen. A dialog pops up: "Are you sure you want to discard this post?"

Tap the option to "Discard". This drops you back to the thread you were replying in, and indeed, it doesn't look like your post was posted - it isn't there in the thread. You have to back out of that thread (Tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen) so you've returned to Tapa home, or Notifications, where you were before you posted. Then when you tap back into the thread, you'll find that your post is there.

Note that I've seen members writing that spurious multi-posts happen without any intervention on their part - and maybe that's a thing too, but I haven't experienced it.

Also note that this issue only occurs on RWI. The other forums I post to via Tapatalk work normally and don't throw up the error message.

There may be other intel on this subject that members want to share. Feel free to add your own experience/comments.

Tagging Glaude because he may also have further light to shed on the matter, or I might also have missed a long-established thread that already deals with this, or this may be in the wrong place to have posted, and it needs moving to the RWI feedback section. :)

Reactions: KJ2020

Hippoposthumous

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/7/21
I have nothing constructive to add to this post but just wanted to mention this same thing happens to me and I deal with it the same way you recommend. Thanks for bringing it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I don't use Tapa but occasionally I get a similar error message when posting. I just refresh the page and most of the time my post appears. I'm just wondering if the same might work in the Tapa scenario. It's easier than exiting and re-entering a thread.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I don't use Tapa but occasionally I get a similar error message when posting. I just refresh the page and most of the time my post appears. I'm just wondering if the same might work in the Tapa scenario. It's easier than exiting and re-entering a thread.

There's no concept of "refresh" in Tapatalk Kj, so the way I describe is really the only option. But yes, your advice to refresh is fine and almost always works when a web browser is sitting there saying "working".

And coincidentally I'd just recommended your action to another user in a thread that they'd posted multiple times, when they described what happens to them (and it turned out to be the browser hanging, not the Tapatalk issue).

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

paulvillo

Renowned Member
6/6/13
On iOS at least, you do [mention]p0pperini [/mention]
After you hit ‘discard’ just tap the three dots on the upper right and choose refresh.

Happens to me ALL the time, especially with pics all over the boards - even though I haven’t been that much of a poster lately :)

9e4c8b551e82d5aa459cd663ec854ea9.jpg

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
After you hit ‘discard’ just tap the three dots on the upper right and choose refresh.
Ah nice one paulvillo - I hadn't spotted that.

Although I don't normally bother to check whether my "failed" post has posted - because I know that really it has, no matter what Tapa is claiming. :)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
LOL! And it looks like someone has decided to have a little play with the previous posts here. Thanks for messing with my head whoever you are. :)

Fergulator72

I'm Pretty Popular
4/5/21
Yep,happens every single time,I just do as you are saying,go back and look and my comment is visible

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
It's indeed a good trick, the same we recommend when the forum is lagging on the regular desktop version.

Tapatalk is a complex issue : The folks back there are good dev, but they just can't waste so much time with Vbulletin stupid dev practice, Vbulletin made everything they could to turn the life of any third party developer into hell.
So currently 90 % of the error report I have in my logs are issues with Tapatalk being not able to communicate properly with the DB, sure the lag don't help, but it also contribute to said lag

Reactions: p0pperini

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Vbulletin made everything they could to turn the life of any third party developer into hell.
LOL - I've worked with some software like that in my time too...

Thanks for the notes Glaude. I know running the tech side of RWI is largely thankless and 100% payless, so as always I doff my Rolex baseball cap to you and the team.

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
So this problem seems to be a frequent issue for RWI members posting to the forum via Tapatalk. I thought I'd share my own experience of posting to RWI using Tapatalk on my iPhone, and how I avoid posting the same message several times.

Whenever I reply to an RWI thread using Tapatalk, I get the same error message upon tapping "Reply" - usually after a long pause. It happens almost every time (in fact it might even be 100% of the time - I don't recall the last time I posted and didn't get the same result). What I see is a pop-up telling me:

POST ERROR
Sorry, we have been unable to complete your request

At which point, any normal person would think, "Oh, it didn't work. Right, in that case I'll try again."

However, Tapatalk is lying. Your reply has been posted. Don't believe its lies.

So, tap "Cancel" at the top left of the screen. A dialog pops up: "Are you sure you want to discard this post?"

Tap the option to "Discard". This drops you back to the thread you were replying in, and indeed, it doesn't look like your post was posted - it isn't there in the thread. You have to back out of that thread (Tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen) so you've returned to Tapa home, or Notifications, where you were before you posted. Then when you tap back into the thread, you'll find that your post is there.

Note that I've seen members writing that spurious multi-posts happen without any intervention on their part - and maybe that's a thing too, but I haven't experienced it.

Also note that this issue only occurs on RWI. The other forums I post to via Tapatalk work normally and don't throw up the error message.

There may be other intel on this subject that members want to share. Feel free to add your own experience/comments.

Tagging Glaude because he may also have further light to shed on the matter, or I might also have missed a long-established thread that already deals with this, or this may be in the wrong place to have posted, and it needs moving to the RWI feedback section. :)

Lol… luckily I figured this out after first time tapa duplicated my post. I literally just live with it by discarding my post each time (and will again here on this post)… and it always posts without fail! Wtf?! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk