• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How Do you estimate the chances for a Sterling Black Bay Fifty-Eight 925 Rep?

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
I have fallen in love with the new Black Bay Fifty-Eight 925 with its Sterling-Silver-Case. What do you think - will there be a proper Rep soon? If you assume, if the case will weight 100 grams, there will be a bonus of round about 100 Euro for a real Sterling-Silver-Case compared to a SS- or Titanium-Case. That is not much and the great a chance to get a Rep made of pure precious metal. Maybe the bigger problem is the new MT5400 caliber and the glass bottom. So what Do you estimate. Will there be a Rep of this beautiful watch in the nearer future?
ZEjjVX.jpg
ZEjZkc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MattSP

fabbe79

I'm Pretty Popular
18/10/15
I think they will do it, with standard SS case new dial and bezel color and no more than a custom rotor with the display caseback

Reactions: ferristara

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
I think they will do it, with standard SS case new dial and bezel color and no more than a custom rotor with the display caseback

This would be a pitty imo, cause so you get around the chance for the nice patina, silver developes over time.

Reactions: An6

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Apparently, Tudor found a way of alloying the silver so it's harder and does not tarnish. Silver is just as white as platinum - nothing like steel at all. There's also the display back and a branded rotor on an eta clone isn't going to cut it. Why they wanted to display that movement is anyone's guess though - it's not pretty.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
I'd read somewhere they they may have gone with the clear case back to save on the amount of silver they'd have to use.

Hmmm. One Gram Silver costs less than an Euro ;-)

But I agree with muiramas - the movement isnt a beauty, so the glass bottom doesnt make really sense.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
I'd read somewhere they they may have gone with the clear case back to save on the amount of silver they'd have to use.

A sapphire back will have been much more expensive than a silver one!

I actually don't get why they didn't make a silver bracelet as well - I really like my 58 on its bracelet, but whatever - Tudor had a strong 2021 lineup. Rolex shit the bed.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
I actually don't get why they didn't make a silver bracelet as well

Maybee because of the corrosion issue?

But I personaly think, the leather bracelet suits very fine to this model. Besides Panerai Tudor is imho the best brand for leater-strap-lovers right now. But that is off course a question of personal taste.

MaxPayne

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/5/20
Ever since I’ve started with this hobby I’ve been wondering why no manufacturer uses sterling silver for stuff like white gold and platinum reps. It isn’t the same, but it’s much closer than stainless steel or any plating. Now we just have one more reason to demand this!

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
I am not an expert, perhaps there are high-quality alloys that I have never come across in my life, but all rings, silver chains, darkened on me in the shortest possible time and looked dirty and not pretty.
It can be easily cleaned, but if done mechanically, the polish dies, and the product looks just like a whitish piece of iron.

I don't know what alloy Tudor uses, but if it oxidizes at the rate of bronze, the aesthetic pleasure will be highly controversial.
Moreover, even if their alloy is resistant to corrosion, I am sure that the rep will be made from the cheapest option, which will lose its appearance like a cheap silver watch from bad jewelry stores.

mini-mad

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/5/12
France
I'd definitely be in for a rep of this one! Especially since I don't see the gen being strong enough to handle daily wear without the case/bezel/crown getting significant chips... Even with Tudor's "specially formulated silver".

If they manage to get the dial and insert color right and just put it on a regular 58 case brushed in the same pattern it would be good enough for me already!

randomstring

5/1/13
Brushed SS case: probably
Brushed SS case PVD’d in a lighter metal: maybe
Actual silver: hell no

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
AThere's also the display back and a branded rotor on an eta clone isn't going to cut it. Why they wanted to display that movement is anyone's guess though - it's not pretty.

There is already some decorated miyota on some pelagos:
ZN62m4.png

I also don't know why they want to display their movement, the finish on gen looks like a ... Miyota.

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
To OP,

I know this isn't what you asked but if you like this model, I think buying gen will be the right choice.

I know Tudor is mixing 925 silver with their own alloy but eventually it will tarnish. I think this will turn into something reps just won't be able to replicate.

I am a huge silver guy (some of you know my love for Chrome Hearts), and I love tarnished silver. I am very tempted to go gen on this one.

The only thing I didn't like about this model was Tudor's choice of using brushed silver. For those that want to polish the surface back to original state will have a bit of hard time due to this. Silver polishing cloths (and capecod) will eventually give the brushed surface more sheen. I know this because I have sanded down silver jewelry before for reshaping and used polishing cloth to bring back the shine/semi-mirror finish. It actually works - which is a bad thing for this watch.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
To OP,

I know this isn't what you asked but if you like this model, I think buying gen will be the right choice.

I know Tudor is mixing 925 silver with their own alloy but eventually it will tarnish. I think this will turn into something reps just won't be able to replicate.

I am a huge silver guy (some of you know my love for Chrome Hearts), and I love tarnished silver. I am very tempted to go gen on this one.

The only thing I didn't like about this model was Tudor's choice of using brushed silver. For those that want to polish the surface back to original state will have a bit of hard time due to this. Silver polishing cloths (and capecod) will eventually give the brushed surface more sheen. I know this because I have sanded down silver jewelry before for reshaping and used polishing cloth to bring back the shine/semi-mirror finish. It actually works - which is a bad thing for this watch.

Yes, that is exactly what I think. This is one of the few novelties WBIG and the price is also fair imo. The choice of brushed silver is in deed a concern. I think here we have to wait and see how this special silver-alloy will tarnish over time. But I am still curious, if XF or ZF will take a try. When you look at the bronze-alloy from the Black Bay, they did imo a quite good job. So there is still a trace of hope.

Reactions: sukwonee

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
To OP,

I agree.

With the exception of the YG, the whole 58 range is worth buying gen - NWBIR if you will.

There is literally nothing not to love about the watch - including the price.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
You can't bring this to any SPAs or Hot Springs, it's a "diver watch" but you can't even bring it next to the Hot Spring vapors since it's gonna oxydize and tarnish in seconds lmao (let's not mention the leather strap)

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
You can't bring this to any SPAs or Hot Springs, it's a "diver watch" but you can't even bring it next to the Hot Spring vapors since it's gonna oxydize and tarnish in seconds lmao (let's not mention the leather strap)

925 silver is usually a mess because it's about 4-5% copper which wants to react with everything. It's possible that Tudor's alloy substitutes copper for something like Paladium for example. I don't think the watch press has picked up on it yet because it goes beyond colour and dimensions, and because, well, it's a secret.

Tudor make dive watches - which last - and they always have. They're not going to shit the bed on something like case material - they know what they are doing.

Last edited:

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Tudor make dive watches - which last - and they always have. They're not going to shit the bed on something like case material - they know what they are doing.

Lol i hope so, i mean, silver is always silver, I hope that palladium makes it a bit more resistant to corrosion, but we all known that silver is not stainless steel. Basically all silver jewelry becomes black when put into that kind of water, I'm eager to see if anyone is gonna try and test it with their Tudors LMAO