• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First Rep, ZF Tudor GMT Arrived Today. Mixed Feelings

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
I purchased the Black Bay GMT from Puretime and it arrived today (in pretty quick fashion, all things considered). I'm very much a watch guy and this is my first rep, and so I was quite curious to see what it was like. I arrived here after watching YouTube videos warning of how amazing the super reps are and how it is practically impossible to discern the actual piece from the rep. This left me quite disillusioned and wondering why I was wasting money on watch collecting. So, I did some googling and landed on this forum and have been reading a ton since joining. I ultimately landed on this watch as the gen piece was one I had been planning on adding anyway. The watch arrived this morning, so it hasn't been on the wrist long, but I'll share some initial thoughts.
  • Fit and finish are remarkably good
  • The watch feels solid and wears well
  • The rotor is noisier than any of my gen watches of any manufacture
  • There is a slight bezel misalignment which can only be remedied by positioning the bezel in-between clicks and it's kind of driving me crazy. This was not discernible in the QC pics
  • The 12 o clock index is slightly off. I asked about this in a thread on here, as I had noticed it in the QC pics and was told it wasn't a big deal and to GL it anyway. Having it in hand it does bother me a little bit, but not as much as the bezel issue
  • The bracelet feels very light and kind of cheap. This is not a huge deal as I plan to put it on a strap anyway, just noting it
  • Aesthetically the bracelet looks good though
  • There's a pretty good amount of side-to-side slop in the bezel
  • The dial printing is really nice and has a silvery quality not captured in pics
  • The crystal looks very high end. I find this to be pretty convincing
  • The actual bezel insert looks great
  • The case shape and feel is fantastic
In summary, I like it, but I don't love it. If the bezel was aligned better and that 12 o clock index were better, I'd love it. Based on that, I'm sure there are better examples out there than the one I got. Does anyone know if the bezel insert is pressure fitted or glued in? Adjusting this would make a world of difference for me. This is a good watch for the money. I'm curious to see how it holds up, but thus far my expectations of rep watches have been tempered. I don't know that I'll buy another, but I'm open to it.

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard

The one with the properly aligned bezel is in-between clicks.

In my review I should have also mentioned that when I go to screw down the crown it keeps wanting to cross thread. Gonna have to be very aware of that.

notAreplicant

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/6/19
sorry to hear but the finish on the hands looks rough. How much you pay if you don't mind me asking?

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
I think this is one of the best reps, but I can’t stand the ICHS. As soon as the fix this, I’ll be all over this model.

Honestly, this is something I was weighing when deciding this. The hand stack definitely bothers me, especially with the hour hand looking like it's floating so high. Ultimately I decided on buying this as my first rep because I wanted the gen and the gen has the fairly ubiquitous datewheel issue, so I figured this was a way to get the watch I wanted a lot cheaper and without that issue.

Also, I noticed the hands look rough in the pic I just posted, I think the sun is making it look blown out. Trust me, they look fine in real life.

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I recall your QC thread. This model from ZF is known to have the misaligned insert, there is apparently a lack of stringent factory QC in setting them exactly right. It can be fixed, it is glued in and would need to removed, adjusted and re-adhered. I use 3M double-sided tape rings for this.

I did not see the lateral displacement issue on your 12 o'clock marker in your QC pics, I thought you were questioning the very slight counterclockwise tilt. The marker can be removed and reglued on. Both pins would have to be sanded off because of the lateral offset, but it's not a big deal.

I rarely get a rep that doesn't need some tweaking for minor issues like these. At least your date should flip well and properly, unlike many gen samples of this watch!

15697784072660.jpg

15670811830016.jpg

15670811830267.jpg

Welcome to the real world of reps, your experience is not uncommon. I think most of us put up with it because we often ultimately achieve sufficient satisfaction at acceptable expense. Or we're just easily deluded, lol.

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
I recall your QC thread. This model from ZF is known to have the misaligned insert, there is apparently a lack of stringent factory QC in setting them exactly right. It can be fixed, it is glued in and would need to removed, adjusted and re-adhered. I use 3M double-sided tape rings for this.

I did not see the lateral displacement issue on your 12 o'clock marker in your QC pics, I thought you were questioning the very slight counterclockwise tilt. The marker can be removed and reglued on. Both pins would have to be sanded off because of the lateral offset, but it's not a big deal.

I rarely get a rep that doesn't need some tweaking for minor issues like these. At least your date should flip well and properly, unlike many gen samples of this watch!

Welcome to the real world of reps, your experience is not uncommon. I think most of us put up with it because we often ultimately achieve sufficient satisfaction at acceptable expense. Or we're just easily deluded, lol.

Thanks so much for the comments and advice. I'm not willing to mess with the index, seems a bit too invasive for moderate return, but I am open to trying to fix the bezel. Do you have a link for the adhesive rings? If the insert isn't pressure fitted is there any danger of damaging it with removal? When I remove the bezel how difficult is it to replace? TIA

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks so much for the comments and advice. I'm not willing to mess with the index, seems a bit too invasive for moderate return, but I am open to trying to fix the bezel. Do you have a link for the adhesive rings? If the insert isn't pressure fitted is there any danger of damaging it with removal? When I remove the bezel how difficult is it to replace? TIA

Have a look at this post bro.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/tudor/8007327-bb-gmt-bezel-alignment

3M tape rings here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-ADHESIVE...430837?hash=item48e65bf275:g:~gMAAOSwJYhfglNi

There are other different size choices. I don't worry too much about size, I often cut them in half or thirds. A complete circle is not necessary. You should assess what thickness you need before final pressing. Put a thin object under half the insert (piece of paper, a needle, etc) while you test stack 1, 2, or even 3 thicknesses of the tape. You need to strip off the backing and actually use nothing but the tape. You can use the middle part of the tape ring, it is the same material. A 5mm length piece is sufficient. When satisfied, pull the insert up with aid of your object and install tape in more of the circle. I often use just 6 or 8 points of contact.

For final press, use the object again. Set the insert at 24. Get it exact. Lift it back up and adjust if needed. Then remove the object and do the final press.

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
I actually own both gen and rep. TBH my gen stays in the box and I wear the rep (on gen NATO strap). The rep is so close in fit and finish IMO that Im quite happy wearing it and for the most part forget that I own the gen. Full disclosure, I bought the rep first...and then had an opportunity to pick up the gen without waiting 6mos so I jumped on it. Once I purchased it, I realized how the good the rep actually was. Especially compared to the earlier ZF Black Bays (of which I had a couple of those reps too).

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
Have a look at this post bro.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/tudor/8007327-bb-gmt-bezel-alignment

3M tape rings here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-ADHESIVE...430837?hash=item48e65bf275:g:~gMAAOSwJYhfglNi

There are other different size choices. I don't worry too much about size, I often cut them in half or thirds. A complete circle is not necessary. You should assess what thickness you need before final pressing. Put a thin object under half the insert (piece of paper, a needle, etc) while you test stack 1, 2, or even 3 thicknesses of the tape. You need to strip off the backing and actually use nothing but the tape. You can use the middle part of the tape ring, it is the same material. A 5mm length piece is sufficient. When satisfied, pull the insert up with aid of your object and install tape in more of the circle. I often use just 6 or 8 points of contact.

For final press, use the object again. Set the insert at 24. Get it exact. Lift it back up and adjust if needed. Then remove the object and do the final press.

This is great info, thanks so much!

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
I think I'm going to see if I can get the insert out without removing the bezel. Seems too involved if you actually remove the bezel. Failing that, I guess I'll just live with it.

mrsullivan

Replicaddict
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
18/8/19
EU
As all the others say here, reps all have specific little flaws. With time not only will you accept it, but also will you know which ones you're ready to deal with or not.

As an exemple my 2nd rep was a Tudor as well, and I could'nt stand a misalignment of the 12 marker and the shield logo. It's a very common flaw (seen on gens as well), but since then I look for it on every Tudor now. Some don't mind, I do.
As opposite, I don't mind the ICHS at all. The flaw only shows for a few minutes a day and no one notices, not even me.
So you too will have some flaws you take and some others you don't.
Welcome to the rep game.

I'm in search of the same GMT Tudor actually. It's a known very well made replica, and yours is really nice, even with its tiny little errors.
Thank you for the review.

Envoyé de mon ELE-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

RaoulDuke

Horology Curious
5/9/20
I think I'm going to see if I can get the insert out without removing the bezel. Seems too involved if you actually remove the bezel. Failing that, I guess I'll just live with it.

Firstly, I’ve never worked on reps of high end watches (mostly Seikos, so I know about shit being misaligned :p) but what I can tell you is that you are way more likely to damage the insert or some other part of the watch if you try and remove it without removing the bezel first. If you are dealing with aluminium inserts and you bend them even slightly, they will never be the same again.

Also, if the insert is adhered , you can more freely apply heat to soften the glue without fear of heat affecting any other part of the watch.

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
Firstly, I’ve never worked on reps of high end watches (mostly Seikos, so I know about shit being misaligned :p) but what I can tell you is that you are way more likely to damage the insert or some other part of the watch if you try and remove it without removing the bezel first. If you are dealing with aluminium inserts and you bend them even slightly, they will never be the same again.

Also, if the insert is adhered , you can more freely apply heat to soften the glue without fear of heat affecting any other part of the watch.

How much heat would be necessary to soften and twist it? I certainly don't want to risk drying out any of the lubricating oils.

RaoulDuke

Horology Curious
5/9/20
How much heat would be necessary to soften and twist it? I certainly don't want to risk drying out any of the lubricating oils.

Twist it? I’m not sure what you mean. I would have the bezel completely removed from the watch and then along the inside edge where the insert meets the bezel I would insert something very thin and fairly flexible, like a small artists palette knife and slide that in between the two and rotate the bezel in my hand, the knife cutting any glue as it goes along.

Any issues and you can use a heat gun or hair drier to soften the adhesive.

Eventually you will complete one rotation and the insert should come free, never use a prying or twisting motion to free the insert as it will slightly buckle or bend and will never be the same again.

remove all residual glue from both the bezel and insert and do a final clean with IPA. Reinstall the bezel to the watch and apply whatever adhesive or cement you intend on using, staying to the outside edge of the bezel. Ensure the bezel is fully seated properly and not half way between a click and then line up your insert to 12 o’clock and install. Once you are sure it is lined up apply pressure to set into position.

there are heaps of YouTube videos. What a bunch first.