• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Black Bay 58 ZF v2 vs Gen

MrElevate

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/2/20
Can anyone tell me how big the strap is? I have an 8" wrist, would the ZF fit me?
Am about to buy one from Sead but am a bit worried about having to buy extra links

Cheers!

Dmage

Known Member
4/7/19
Can anyone tell me how big the strap is? I have an 8" wrist, would the ZF fit me?
Am about to buy one from Sead but am a bit worried about having to buy extra links

Cheers!
It’ll probably fit tight.
6.5” wrist here & I have 3 extra links —> only to 7.8”
You can ask the TD for an extra link when you order.
I can probably give you one link if you are in Canada.
& worst case scenario, you can resell the watch here and get most of your money back.

This is my first rep & to be honest after buying 20+ reps from IWC, Rolex to AP & PP, it is still my favourite. It’s handsome in every details, goes with any situation, has so many great, great straps to accessorize; just perfect!
Funny the design’s from Rolex, as I tried sub, gmt, yacht, daytona & all of them need to go.

Reactions: vcappp

MrElevate

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/2/20
& worst case scenario, you can resell the watch here and get most of your money back.

This is my first rep & to be honest after buying 20+ reps from IWC, Rolex to AP & PP, it is still my favourite. It’s handsome in every details, goes with any situation, has so many great, great straps to accessorize; just perfect!
Funny the design’s from Rolex, as I tried sub, gmt, yacht, daytona & all of them need to go.

Ok, thanks a lot for the info. I'm in the UK so probably a bit far to send a link this way, thanks a lot for the offer though

I think I'll risk it then, just didn't want to stop the blood flowing to my fingers by squeezing it on!

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
Hmm, the Fifty-Eight are 39 mm and Black Bay are 41 mm true ?

42mm if I'm not mistaken, and it's a lot thicker too. The main differences (besides size) is the bezel markings on the Fifty-Eight is rose gold while the usual BB is white.

Reactions: Pejs30

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19

Cheers!

No worries mate, just try the bracelet and if it doesn't work out. Put it on a nice dark brown leather strap, would look really good IMO.

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19

Really ? More than the YM ? Thats actually something I have been eying for a while now, either that or the No Time To Die seamaster would probably be my next diver purchase.

SteveMcQueen1930

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
9/5/19
Thanks a lot for the review and the comparison. I have been waiting for the gen vs rep comparison with so nice pictures for a while.

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
As i am saying. Zf v2 is already quite good. ????

It is, very good actually. As my first rep I am very impressed and might just stick to buying reps from now on. But the dial and lume mismatch on hands and dial is really bothering me, especially when I am so fixated at the slight differences. If there is a way to replace them, I would be very happy with it.

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
Thanks for this RepJunkie. I just sold mine last week. I agree with everything you said. I got it to experience how it wears. It was a great watch and just wore fantastically. The dial was flat and washed out but I don't necessarily know that I would have preferred the gen either. I looked at the gens heavily in the store (left mine in the car) and it's not like they did that much more for me. The case finishing on the lugs is pretty much spot on with zero difference. My friend has the gen Heritage Chrono with the same lug finish and there really is no difference. Different sheen on the bracelet finish though but that could be different with the Heritage chrono vs black bay series. On that note, I got the Corgeut BB homage and didn't notice really any difference on that bracelet finish either and in fact it had sharper (better looking though probably not gen-like) clasp edges and bracelet edge finishing. It's freaking amazing how similar they all are finishing wise. Dial and crystal wise the reps poop all over the Corgeut but in the metal work not much difference at all. Corgeut did not have gen like lug finishing though it might not have meant to. The BB58 was an amazing rep and you won't regret buying one to try out.

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
Thanks for this RepJunkie. I just sold mine last week. I agree with everything you said. I got it to experience how it wears. It was a great watch and just wore fantastically. The dial was flat and washed out but I don't necessarily know that I would have preferred the gen either. I looked at the gens heavily in the store (left mine in the car) and it's not like they did that much more for me. The case finishing on the lugs is pretty much spot on with zero difference. My friend has the gen Heritage Chrono with the same lug finish and there really is no difference. Different sheen on the bracelet finish though but that could be different with the Heritage chrono vs black bay series. On that note, I got the Corgeut BB homage and didn't notice really any difference on that bracelet finish either and in fact it had sharper (better looking though probably not gen-like) clasp edges and bracelet edge finishing. It's freaking amazing how similar they all are finishing wise. Dial and crystal wise the reps poop all over the Corgeut but in the metal work not much difference at all. Corgeut did not have gen like lug finishing though it might not have meant to. The BB58 was an amazing rep and you won't regret buying one to try out.

The gen is a beautiful watch, but its up for sale now after I got the ZF. I think for the 90% difference in price, I can live with the washed out dial and lume mismatch. When it comes to finishing, it really went above what I expected, it's so close to the real deal! All the details, finishing and build quality that went into the watch for the price is truly amazing. Honestly, for my first rep I am really pleased with the experience and I'm definitely getting more! I'm really curious on how NWBIGs fare, if this is what I can get for $288, I wonder how those $500 watches are.

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
What's funny is that I don't think there will be much difference and price doesn't necessarily reflect quality. I've had 55-60 reps. Pretty much everything on here. The only 500.00 reps are the high demand ones. Look at the IWC 3777 or JF AP diver ( I have v7 w bracelet) or noob superocean, or any Panerai on the super rep list for example. Those are all pretty inexpensive but it doesn't mean you won't get a bracelet that rattles. I just got a Breitling Colt m2m here, not mentioned anywhere on the super rep list but it's one of the best feeling solid reps I've had. If you do get one that "feels" perfect there seems to always be something else wrong with it usually.

I understand why new people want "The Best" because they want a benchmark to go by so they can enjoy the rest of the reps but I think that BB58, as you saw, if it just had that more accurate dial, would have been perfect. I think that was a great benchmark actually just not as heavy as other watches but the quality was there. My actual benchmark is a 41mm Aqua Terra from 2015. It's fairly accurate but not super rep but it's technical perfection as far as metal work goes. Just perfect brushing, sharp angles and high polish. I thought it looked better than the gen when I held it in the store. I don't even like the watch that much but whenever I look at it there is so much to look at and it's all perfect. Kind of neat how they tried to make the cheap miyota in it look great too. If they ever make reps of the few gens I have I wonder what I would do. Would I sell the gens? It's definitely possible. The BB58 is a fantastic value.

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19
I can say the same for the Heritage 41. I had the gen 79230N and loved it. Then I bought the ZF and couldn’t tell them apart. The only benefit to gen was the power reserve. So I bought another eight-slot winder. Problem solved.

You cannot go wrong with any of the Tudor reps, honestly. My Pelagos is awesome, even with the noisy Miyota. I quieted it down a bit, but that’s it’s only fault to speak of.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

RepJunkie

Known Member
24/1/19
What's funny is that I don't think there will be much difference and price doesn't necessarily reflect quality. I've had 55-60 reps. Pretty much everything on here. The only 500.00 reps are the high demand ones. Look at the IWC 3777 or JF AP diver ( I have v7 w bracelet) or noob superocean, or any Panerai on the super rep list for example. Those are all pretty inexpensive but it doesn't mean you won't get a bracelet that rattles. I just got a Breitling Colt m2m here, not mentioned anywhere on the super rep list but it's one of the best feeling solid reps I've had. If you do get one that "feels" perfect there seems to always be something else wrong with it usually.

I understand why new people want "The Best" because they want a benchmark to go by so they can enjoy the rest of the reps but I think that BB58, as you saw, if it just had that more accurate dial, would have been perfect. I think that was a great benchmark actually just not as heavy as other watches but the quality was there. My actual benchmark is a 41mm Aqua Terra from 2015. It's fairly accurate but not super rep but it's technical perfection as far as metal work goes. Just perfect brushing, sharp angles and high polish. I thought it looked better than the gen when I held it in the store. I don't even like the watch that much but whenever I look at it there is so much to look at and it's all perfect. Kind of neat how they tried to make the cheap miyota in it look great too. If they ever make reps of the few gens I have I wonder what I would do. Would I sell the gens? It's definitely possible. The BB58 is a fantastic value.

Ah, I get what you mean. End of the day, it's still going to be a rep and there will be some flaws. So the so called "higher tier" or more expensive reps are mainly due to popularity and not really quality ? That's new to me, thought that was due to better quality materials used etc. I'm not too picky about the quality per se, I think right now what's bothering me most is that I have seen the real deal and I'm just picking at the flaws I see in the rep (once you see it, you can't stop seeing it). I sold off my gen BB58, and now the faded out dial and lume mismatch is really starting to bother me (and I didn't think it was too big of a deal when I had then gen! Ha!). A part of me wish I never had the gen so I would've been happier with the ZF, oh well just keeping my fingers crossed an updated version comes along with a fix for it.