• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black Bay Heritage Shield thickness query, please enlighten me.

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Hey there all you Black Bay fan boys and girls.
I'm confused.
I see different thickness listed for the BB Shield models and I'm not quite sure what the situation is.

I thought that the Shield models were thicker i.e. 14.8 mm, compared to the thinnner 11mm of the Rose models (as per in-house vs ETA).
But I see Shield models listed with 11mm thickness as well.

For example this ZF Black Bay Shield Red at Chazingtime is supposed to be 11mm thick: https://chazingtime04.co/products/h...-edition-ss-bracelet-a2824-red-free-red-strap
Whereas this ZF Black Bay Shield Red at Intime supposedly measures 14.8mm: https://www.intime04.co/tudor/3908-...-edition-red-bezel-on-ss-bracelet-a2824-.html

I'm pretty sure those are the same watches.
So can someone clear this up.
Is it just incorrect info at the TD's websites or are there really different sizes here?

thanks!!

CanRep

13/10/18
No, it's just wrong on Chazingtime. Go with Ryan's site (intime). I have the rose and shield model, and all the shields are the 14.8mm thickness, much thicker than the 11 found on the rose.

Side note, the shield is my favorite replica watch. I have the black bezel and its simply stunning. Such nice dial print. But it is not a small watch lol! If you are on the fence, I highly recommend!

Reactions: channeh

Elfriede

Horologically promiscuous
Supporter
28/10/18
Heart of Europe
It seem to me the real height of the rose is more like 13mm, the 11mm are measured without the dome maybe. Difference is less than 2mm in my experience, mostly due to different caseback.
fe8d1c1b0b011c261e4f5900a63cf596.jpg
b1437e4b38fac3cc58fe56a9c73a975e.jpg

And all ZF Shields are about 14,8mm, the TD sites are not always 100% updated, i.e. they just copied the data from the older model.

Last edited:
Reactions: channeh

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Thanks CanRep and Elfriede for clearing that up!!

Now I'll have to decide which will become the Tudor in my collection.
I love the BB 58 as well, which would be better suited to my wrist size I think, but the lume difference of it puts me off.
Maybe even the 36....?

Choices, choices.....:confused:

CanRep

13/10/18
Elfriede well now, I don't have one of those fancy suckers! Might need to jont down to the hardware store!

I agree fuzzmex that the Lume on the 58 is a turnoff. It's the reason I don't have it. The pelagos and heritage 36 are probably your best super Rep in terms of likeness to the Gen, with the shield bb a close second. Here are my thoughts about the model options to help you out:

I've tried the Gen 36 and it's beautiful, but a small presence on the wrist. Its great if you like that, and is an awesome dress watch. However there are several cases of struggles getting a Rep with nicely aligned hour indices, so keep that in mind.

My pelagos blue is in the mail right now, but it looks beautiful from the pics lol! However, it's much more utilitarian in style with the dial and Titanium, so gives a different look on the wrist.

The bb shield is great. Looks amazing and really nice dial print. But it's large on the wrist. And by large I mean it sits high on your wrist. I like it, because it wears dressy and also casual. With a dress shirt though, it sometimes gets stuck because it sits high and catches the cuff. With jeans and a leather strap it's awesome (check the pick on Watchgecko with their light brown highley strap on the Gen bb shield). Harrods is a nice option with the only big tell being the seconds hands centre being hollow vs covered (practically unnoticeable) and slightly off green bezel and dial print/seconds hand tip. GMT is also nice, but incorrect hand stack, often issues with date wheel print alignment (factory QC issue), and a bit unreliable mod for the gmt function on the 2824 movement. I just can't pull the trigger because the movement mod seems too unreliable to me and the gmt gear that is used for the mod is often not great quality and not a readily available as not found in Gen movement.

BB rose is no longer available so you'd need to find one on the member sales. I love mine, and the bracelet is beautiful without the rivets, but when it's beside the shield, you really see the more faded dial print compared to the shield. It's my one complaint with the rose.

BB bronze. The newest version that just came out looks superb. I'll likely pick one up this summer (bucherer model). But this is a monster on the wrist. I've tried the Gen, and it's seriously big. Sits even higher than a shield, with longer case and 1mm wider lug width. The bronze gives a very nice feature to the watch, but if you are picking one, I don't think bronze should be the first watch. Its a 3rd or 4th collection piece in my opinion to add some unique variety to a collection.

​​​​​​​Anyways good luck and let us know what you pick! Elfriede and I love Tudors (it's a problem lol).
​​​​​​

fuzzmex

2/9/17
CanRep Thanks for the elaborate advice! Much appreciated and very useful indeed.
It deserves a longer response than I can write now, but I will follow up.

English Gent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/14
the only 36mm is a lot nicer, I had the Gen, but the rep was so good sold my gen, I did a comparison here, the only difference is a slight difference in lume colour, which I really don't see when in use

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...bay-36mm-rep-v-gen-comparison-new-super-clone

theres also a 41mm version, but might be to big

you can still get the Rose ETA BB's just have to know where to look (I think Intime is the sale section) or ask your AD

Reactions: fuzzmex

fuzzmex

2/9/17
The Pelagos is a watch that never really took my fancy to tell you the truth, although recently I have started to warm to it a bit.
And I now quite like that matte dial with all that white going on.
And the lume is really spectacular as well of course.

It's through the BB Heritage models that I came acquainted to- and interested in Tudor and I still find those the prettiest of the bunch.
But not all of them though; the Harrods, the blue bezel and the two tone models are not my cup of tea.
The burgundy is the one I fell in love with first and I still think it's the best looking one, despite it almost having become the cliché Tudor BB.
But I like it so much, because it gives you so many strap colours to work with.
Looks great with leather and plain black nato.
The black bezel ticks a lot of boxes too (yes I saw the Watchgecko pic with the leather strap, very nice indeed).

I have to say the 36mm is still under consideration here.
It's certainly the less obvious choice for a Tudor, compared to the BB's that have become rather ubiquitous.
My wrists are quite small so its size would suit me I think, but I will have to try it on first at an AD.
Both blue and black dials are striking I find.

The bronze models are not for me I'm afraid.
Too big and I have never liked copper or bronze as a metal colour, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

GMT leaves me cold; this whole Pepsi thing, whichever brand, is not my thing.

The Grantour and Fastrider models are the odd ones out as far as I'm concerned and they do not appeal to me at all.

When the choice is made I'll let you know ;)

fuzzmex

2/9/17
the only 36mm is a lot nicer, I had the Gen, but the rep was so good sold my gen, I did a comparison here, the only difference is a slight difference in lume colour, which I really don't see when in use

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...ew-super-clone

theres also a 41mm version, but might be to big

you can still get the Rose ETA BB's just have to know where to look (I think Intime is the sale section) or ask your AD

Yeah, I had already read your comparison with great interest, excellent post!
It really raised my interest in the 36.
There is very little in it between gen and rep, but more importantly, it's simply a beautiful watch.
I already own two divers (Superocean Heritage II and Seamaster 300 Spectre, the latter being half dress watch IMO) so the 36mm would be the perfect addition.
I'm going to try it on soon to see what the size does for my wrist.

CanRep

13/10/18
The burgundy rose black bay is literally the watch that led me to finding the Rep scene. I have always just been drawn to it, and just love the replica. It goes so well on a strap, bracelet or nato. Can't recommend it enough if you can find one of the late models. The shield burgundy is stunning as well, so that's always a good option.

Unfortunately, the website is way out of date. I had asked Ryan at intime back in Dec about getting one and he said they weren't available anymore from the factory. I think the shields are simply more popular, so they manufacturers are focusing on that model, especially with the Harrods and gmt coming from the same case and bracelet.

The 36 is stunning, and I remeber reading that post you made, it was excellent. I loved the 36 I tried on at an AD, but can't justify the Rep. I just found out that I am in fact getting my grandpa's oysterdate, and it wears very similar size-wise. Check the pics near the bottom of the thread. I'm pretty exciting, as picking it up next month and already thinking about new strap alternatives. If only I had a gen 19mm nato from the 36 and I would be all set!

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/tudor/7245267-grandpa-s-tudor

I'll also put some picks of the Pelagos up when it arrives. Was an impulse buy but now I'm finding I'm really excited about it. Curious to see how I feel about it compared to my others. I honestly might sell my minty JF 16610lv to maybe find funds for a 36 or a HARRODS. Ugh, I have a problem..........
​​​​​

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
The burgundy rose black bay is literally the watch that led me to finding the Rep scene. I have always just been drawn to it, and just love the replica. It goes so well on a strap, bracelet or nato. Can't recommend it enough if you can find one of the late models. The shield burgundy is stunning as well, so that's always a good option.

Unfortunately, the website is way out of date. I had asked Ryan at intime back in Dec about getting one and he said they weren't available anymore from the factory. I think the shields are simply more popular, so they manufacturers are focusing on that model, especially with the Harrods and gmt coming from the same case and bracelet.

The 36 is stunning, and I remeber reading that post you made, it was excellent. I loved the 36 I tried on at an AD, but can't justify the Rep. I just found out that I am in fact getting my grandpa's oysterdate, and it wears very similar size-wise. Check the pics near the bottom of the thread. I'm pretty exciting, as picking it up next month and already thinking about new strap alternatives. If only I had a gen 19mm nato from the 36 and I would be all set!

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/tudor/7245267-grandpa-s-tudor

I'll also put some picks of the Pelagos up when it arrives. Was an impulse buy but now I'm finding I'm really excited about it. Curious to see how I feel about it compared to my others. I honestly might sell my minty JF 16610lv to maybe find funds for a 36 or a HARRODS. Ugh, I have a problem..........
​​​​​

your Grandpa Tudor is lovely, think it would be worth getting new cystal etc. but keep essence

you can still get the rose version, I bought 2 off Ryan about 3-5 months ago. Im a Tudor addict, and have owned a few Gen (twice for some models) the only difference with the rose version is the 3d print, the new sheild version has better print, but the watches are to thick, esp if you wear on a strap a lot

CanRep

13/10/18
your Grandpa Tudor is lovely, think it would be worth getting new cystal etc. but keep essence

you can still get the rose version, I bought 2 off Ryan about 3-5 months ago. Im a Tudor addict, and have owned a few Gen (twice for some models) the only difference with the rose version is the 3d print, the new sheild version has better print, but the watches are to thick, esp if you wear on a strap a lot

Exactly what I was planning with a new crystal. That or I will polish that acrylic one myself to see how it cleans up. Otherwise I want to leave it and get a gen camo Nato from the 36 for it. We'll see, as I also might get Forrest here from Nero straps to make me a custom leather one (his stuff is amazing).

Thanks for the tip on the rose model with Ryan. I just reached out to him to see if I can still snag one. Fingers crossed that you didn't get the last of the bunch! I need me a leather strap too so hoping he's got some extra stock access!
​​

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Exactly what I was planning with a new crystal. That or I will polish that acrylic one myself to see how it cleans up. Otherwise I want to leave it and get a gen camo Nato from the 36 for it. We'll see, as I also might get Forrest here from Nero straps to make me a custom leather one (his stuff is amazing).

Thanks for the tip on the rose model with Ryan. I just reached out to him to see if I can still snag one. Fingers crossed that you didn't get the last of the bunch! I need me a leather strap too so hoping he's got some extra stock access!
​​

good luck! I also had a gen Rose ETA BB, but sold it when I got the v4-5 whatever it was, it was so close, but only the dial print you could tell. but on new models like the 36mm they even have the silver 3d print like gen.. only the slight difference in lume on hands and indices stops it being spot on

have you tried some Polywatch on the acrylic? I know there are some deep scratches there, but maybe buffing some out and leave a worn look might be way forward

CanRep

13/10/18
have you tried some Polywatch on the acrylic? I know there are some deep scratches there, but maybe buffing some out and leave a worn look might be way forward

That was exactly what I was planning on trying out. Saw a couple vids on youtube where people had some good success using Polywatch. My crystal is pretty badly banged up, so a perfect test subject to see how improved I can get it! I will put up a post when I do it to show some before/during/after for others. Will also cape cod to polish it a bit, and plan on reaching out to Forrest for a Nero strap and an AD for a gen 19mm nato if I can. Will post pics when shes all cleaned up too!

CanRep

13/10/18
fuzzmex I also thought it was worth mentioning that I received my Pelagos blue (with the myota 9015). I bought it on a whim with it never being a favorite for me, but honestly I am in love. Its phenominal, so much so that I might sell my rose I have on the leather strap to put funds towards a black one too! Have you checked out a 36 yet, and if so what do you think?

fuzzmex

2/9/17
CanRep I have checked out the 36 and it's a very nice watch indeed.
It's a perfect size for my wrist and it is not a dive watch :)
With a Superocean Heritage 42 and a Seamaster 300, I'm stocked well enough as it is in that department, so I'll leave the BB divers alone for now, however much I like that burgundy and even that Pelagos that is growing on me now.
Now it's a matter of deciding between black and blue...

Glad to hear you and the Pelagos are getting on so well :)

Will keep u posted.

Elfriede

Horologically promiscuous
Supporter
28/10/18
Heart of Europe
fuzzmex I also thought it was worth mentioning that I received my Pelagos blue (with the myota 9015). I bought it on a whim with it never being a favorite for me, but honestly I am in love. Its phenomenal...

Pelagos all the way :D

and yes, I'm addicted :lol:
4e259d0917e11d1905f03c6f83ffb3fc.jpg

CanRep

13/10/18
Pelagos all the way :D

and yes, I'm addicted :lol:
4e259d0917e11d1905f03c6f83ffb3fc.jpg

Was so incredibly surprised by how much I like it. Thought it would be a catch and release, but I actually went and sold my jf ​​​​​16610lv instead because I like the Pelagos so much! Aw man, is that a lefty?!?! Super jealous. Wish that the regular black had an off-white lume too and it would have been a consideration. But I don't know where in the world I can find a lefty anymore. Not actually sure why the factories don't make them still?