• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Scratchy rotor noise while hand winding ZF Black Bay 2824-2 2016-Version

s_roh97

Horology Curious
18/12/17
Dear members,

last year I purchased the well known ZF Black Bay 2016 Version with the 2824-2 movement from Ryan (intime03). It looks great and the movement is quite precisely working.
But from the beginning there was a scratchy/rough sound while hand winding it, not smooth at all. Seems as if the rotor winds or jams it at the same time.
I asked Ryan about that and he said, that it is normal, because some parts are different to the genuine movements.
Is he right? I mean, it sounds really bad and I don't dare to wind it manually, since it might get broken.
Is there any way to fix this problem? Ryan didn't answer anymore, although the former contact and shipping worked easily.

Thank you guys!

Best regards from Germany

Cadows

I'm Pretty Popular
29/3/18
Europe
Is that latest black bay version? I wonder can some gen movement be installled in bb? ETA or Sellita and which one?

Elfriede

Horologically promiscuous
Supporter
28/10/18
Heart of Europe
Dear members,

last year I purchased the well known ZF Black Bay 2016 Version with the 2824-2 movement from Ryan (intime03). It looks great and the movement is quite precisely working.
But from the beginning there was a scratchy/rough sound while hand winding it, not smooth at all. Seems as if the rotor winds or jams it at the same time.
I asked Ryan about that and he said, that it is normal, because some parts are different to the genuine movements.
Is he right? I mean, it sounds really bad and I don't dare to wind it manually, since it might get broken.
Is there any way to fix this problem? Ryan didn't answer anymore, although the former contact and shipping worked easily.

Thank you guys!

Best regards from Germany

The movements are often dry and/or dirty, a small service could be necessary. You can find a watchmaker in the german section/ Bierhaus ;)

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Sounds to me like your autowind device has failed. It causes hand winding to turn the rotor (windmilling). The two reversing gears need to be replaced, minimum if that is the case. This is common, but not normal. Servicing or oiling will not fix this.

see this post

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...sues-2824-2836

s_roh97

Horology Curious
18/12/17
Sounds to me like your autowind device has failed. It causes hand winding to turn the rotor (windmilling). The two reversing gears need to be replaced, minimum if that is the case. This is common, but not normal. Servicing or oiling will not fix this.

see this post

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...sues-2824-2836

Thanks, that could be the problem. But very disappointing Ryan didn't recognize it. Do you know how to contact him? Does he have a RWI-Account? Don't want to pay for this, because there is still warranty.

Lt4-396

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/1/19
I had a eta clone that had the same feeling. When I would manually wind it it was very gritty sounding but the rotor was not being turned. I stripped everything down and serviced it with the proper oil/grease and now its buttery smooth.

I would unscrew the back since you dont need any special tools and see if the winding is turning the rotor, if it's not just get it serviced and have piece of mind that it's good for multiple years now.

Distortion

Horology Curious
10/3/19
I had a eta clone that had the same feeling. When I would manually wind it it was very gritty sounding but the rotor was not being turned. I stripped everything down and serviced it with the proper oil/grease and now its buttery smooth.

I would unscrew the back since you dont need any special tools and see if the winding is turning the rotor, if it's not just get it serviced and have piece of mind that it's good for multiple years now.

How much does a service run typically?