• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Black Bay GMT - comparison image heavy

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
K.o.o.l. may I ask if the GMT hand adjusts the same as the Gen? Just ordered one through Ryan. Looked at the video on TSwatch and searched the forum but can't see anyone discussing this.

ShovelnTC

Renowned Member
14/6/13
AU
Thanks for taking the time.

I love my ZF Rep but would consider the Gen as it's an overall lovely watch but for now the Rep is scratching the itch.

Enjoy yours.

K.o.o.l.

Horology Curious
6/1/19
K.o.o.l. may I ask if the GMT hand adjusts the same as the Gen? Just ordered one through Ryan. Looked at the video on TSwatch and searched the forum but can't see anyone discussing this.

Hi,

sorry for the late answer.

No. The gen does this:
Position 1 adjusts the hour hand only, so when traveling you can easily adjust to the local time and leave the 24 hour hand on home time.
Pos 2 - adjusts time including GMT hand and hacks seconds.

The Copy does this in Position 1:
turning the crown down adjusts the GMT hand in one hour intervals backwards
turning the crown up adjusts the date forward

Reactions: ssr905

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Hi,

sorry for the late answer.

No. The gen does this:
Position 1 adjusts the hour hand only, so when traveling you can easily adjust to the local time and leave the 24 hour hand on home time.

The Copy does this in Position 1:
turning the crown down adjusts the GMT hand in one hour intervals backwards
turning the crown up adjusts the date forward

Is this a 2893 clone then? If so, that's a nice improvement compared with the other GMTs I have seen.

K.o.o.l.

Horology Curious
6/1/19
Is this a 2893 clone then? If so, that's a nice improvement compared with the other GMTs I have seen.

Well, they say it's a 2836 clone with added GMT function. But it works exactly like the 2893 setting wise....I will try to open her up one day and have a look inside.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Well, they say it's a 2836 clone with added GMT function. But it works exactly like the 2893 setting wise....I will try to open her up one day and have a look inside.

That's very interesting, I thought all GMT worked similar to the low beat ones where you have to set the GMT hand like a normal hour hand. This is way more convenient!

RepWatchNoob

Known Member
3/5/18
EU
I would love this gmt but the sunken datewheel is definetly the biggest tell. I am about to Bus a steinhart gmt vintage.
i have no idea about the rep movement. Go checkout a td site.

repfam69

Horology Curious
18/7/19
Singapore
Thanks for sharing OP

My boss actually asked to see my ZF GMT as he was planning to get one and I let him try it on before he went ahead and bought a gen one.

The A2836 movement is keeping great time!

Reactions: beetleything

mcchicken

Known Member
22/5/20
Wow, very nice post.
It made me buy one right after looking at the comparison photos.
The quality looks amazing!

Will post a wrist shot once I get mine, it's coming soon... I hope!

Asheron82

I'm Pretty Popular
11/6/10
Awesome review OP, just wondering if the bezel insert colours are sport on between the gen and the rep? i've just order the ZF which is on its way to me, i also came across a gen insert on the bay but wondering if this upgrade is a must and if it would be a direct fit or modifications are needed?

Has anyone swapped their inserts for the gen?

eleventibillion

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/9/20
NorCal
I really enjoyed this post, learned a bunch of things. Made an order with GT yesterday for one of these..this post pushed me over the edge. Much like some of the others here, I like to buy the rep's for the full feel as sort of a preview to going full gen. I am really looking forward to seeing what is delivered, and most importantly pushing it into rotation for my daily wears. I will post photos when it shows up just to update this thread.

Thank you!

Reactions: Kevstah