• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF Tudor BB GMT vs Gen (Pepsi)

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
So would this be an easy swap?

Its not too difficult to remove the bezel but the insert on the gen snaps into the bezel. Not sure how ZF do it. It may be glued in position on the rep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

siomayenak

Horology Curious
22/7/15
a949ae7842479a84f736c010546257eb.jpg
bf471606382ff410d40f0d23d21a0e1e.jpg

Here is the bezel compared to a gen that I purchased. The font and red color is spot on. The blue is a tad darker than the gen, but still close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where did you buy the gen bezel mate?

mikeanh77

13/11/18
Asia
I’ve noticed a guy on EBay in the US selling a set of 5 and is claiming they are genuine. Can a US member buy them and then sell the other 4!!

I don't think its what he claimed it to be. The watch are very newly release, to get it you need to get into a very long wait list and maybe 6 months or so until you can get 1. Not even 5 of them lol.
so maybe something very close. But not gen i suppose

Reactions: Smoke

TimeDweller27

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/11/18
I’ve noticed a guy on EBay in the US selling a set of 5 and is claiming they are genuine. Can a US member buy them and then sell the other 4!!

I messaged him and he sold me one individually.

TimeDweller27

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/11/18
I don't think its what he claimed it to be. The watch are very newly release, to get it you need to get into a very long wait list and maybe 6 months or so until you can get 1. Not even 5 of them lol.
so maybe something very close. But not gen i suppose

Regardless if it is truly gen, it is closer to gen than on the current rep. So if you are looking for less tells then this will help.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Nevermind. Found it and sent him a pm asking for 1. Mine is arriving today and I know the bezel will be misaligned anyways Might as well swap it for a closer to Gen bezel. How easy was the swap?

Reactions: mikeanh77

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
I’d be tempted but I’m in the uk.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
I bought one. He is claiming them to be Gen. I know Tudor only charges 60 for a replacement bezel Maybe this guy got a hold of some. We'll see when it gets here

Reactions: mikeanh77 and csthe

mikeanh77

13/11/18
Asia
I bought one. He is claiming them to be Gen. I know Tudor only charges 60 for a replacement bezel Maybe this guy got a hold of some. We'll see when it gets here

Post is getting interested with some franken project. Keep us updated bro haha

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
I just got my GMT. Has anyone who received their GMT found the time adjustment a little bit wonky? When I try to adjust time the first time, I pulled the crown out to position 2 and the crown turn but the hands just vibrates back and forth. It felt like the mechanism is not meshing with the gear properly. But after doing this many times, it kind of got a bit better. Maybe the movement needs breaking in like a pair of shoes.

Edit: I found out after doing this again that there is another position between 1 and 2. Shouldn't be there but its there so I think definitely an issue with the crown mechanism. Here is the video showing the time adjustment. around 40 sec and 1:20. The start of the video show I was turning the crown without the hand moving at all.

[video]https://vimeo.com/user91905135/review/304801355/adcfbcd7a9[/video]

And I think I received a poorly glued down bezel insert. The upside down triangle doesn't line up properly with the 12 marker on the dial. So I think this unit is going to go back to the TD. Have PM'ed the TD and waiting for a response. Anyone else have same experience? I know Tacotuesday had the same issue with the bezel inaccuracy.

And by the way, why is the bezel clicks number 48??? Shouldn't it be 60 as in 60 seconds? Does the gen also have 48 clicks only? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: csthe

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
For everyone's info and benefit, TD offered to have the watch fixed or replaced. Will be sending this back soon.

Anyway, I think this ZF unit is definitely a hit and miss.

Last edited:

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
I just got my GMT. Has anyone who received their GMT found the time adjustment a little bit wonky? When I try to adjust time the first time, I pulled the crown out to position 2 and the crown turn but the hands just vibrates back and forth. It felt like the mechanism is not meshing with the gear properly. But after doing this many times, it kind of got a bit better. Maybe the movement needs breaking in like a pair of shoes.

Edit: I found out after doing this again that there is another position between 1 and 2. Shouldn't be there but its there so I think definitely an issue with the crown mechanism. Here is the video showing the time adjustment. around 40 sec and 1:20. The start of the video show I was turning the crown without the hand moving at all.

[video]https://vimeo.com/user91905135/review/304801355/adcfbcd7a9[/video]

And I think I received a poorly glued down bezel insert. The upside down triangle doesn't line up properly with the 12 marker on the dial. So I think this unit is going to go back to the TD. Have PM'ed the TD and waiting for a response. Anyone else have same experience? I know Tacotuesday had the same issue with the bezel inaccuracy.

And by the way, why is the bezel clicks number 48??? Shouldn't it be 60 as in 60 seconds? Does the gen also have 48 clicks only? Thanks.

The bezel problem was not as bad in person, only slightly off and mine was easily put in place. As for the problem you are having setting the time that does sound like a movement issue. If it ever happens in the future you can get the watch serviced for less than $100. Lastly 48 clicks is correct.

Onto the franken topic, I think I'm only going to put the gen bezel on here if I can find someone to straighten out my 6 hour marker. Also having issues with the clasp, inner ceramic balls are getting stuck on the inside making it not securely hold the clasp down. 1 of the balls is a little loser after a soap bath, and I'm hoping the other comes lose after 2 days in baby oil.

If I can get those problems fixed this would be a top quality rep worthy of the gen parts, if not I'm saving the insert for V2 :p

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
The bezel problem was not as bad in person, only slightly off and mine was easily put in place. As for the problem you are having setting the time that does sound like a movement issue. If it ever happens in the future you can get the watch serviced for less than $100. Lastly 48 clicks is correct.

Hi Taco, Thanks for the reply. I am still thinking what to do with the watch. To ship back or not. I kinda accepted the bezel now seeing it is actually 48 clicks only although I find this strange. As for servicing, I honestly don't know who can do the service where I am but if it is an easy fix then I probably may decide to keep the watch and not hassle with returns and the wait.

I believe its just gear meshing issue. I guess if I keep the watch I will have to start learning how to DIY service this watch. Cheers

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Hi Taco, Thanks for the reply. I am still thinking what to do with the watch. To ship back or not. I kinda accepted the bezel now seeing it is actually 48 clicks only although I find this strange. As for servicing, I honestly don't know who can do the service where I am but if it is an easy fix then I probably may decide to keep the watch and not hassle with returns and the wait.

I believe its just gear meshing issue. I guess if I keep the watch I will have to start learning how to DIY service this watch. Cheers

They'll probably take it back if there's a mechanical issue But the shipping might be super expensive. If it is search for watch makers on here. Katt is a reputable one if i remember correctly.

And I'm pretty sure the 48 clicks is so you can use the gmt function properly. Set the gmt hand to gmt and you can use the bezel to tell the time at any point in the world

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
They'll probably take it back if there's a mechanical issue But the shipping might be super expensive. If it is search for watch makers on here. Katt is a reputable one if i remember correctly.

And I'm pretty sure the 48 clicks is so you can use the gmt function properly. Set the gmt hand to gmt and you can use the bezel to tell the time at any point in the world

Thanks. I am not local so definitely will be the same whether I send it to China or the States. Anyway now's the time to make friends with some watch shop workers. Haha.... We have a couple of ADs where I am. Might even learn a few things on how to service watches. Let's see how far this hobby brings me.

mikeanh77

13/11/18
Asia

The movement on mine are perfect and even better then my arf movement (more quiet ticking, power reserve last 36 hours, crown winding mechanism smooth, no sand feelong to it).
the bezel on mine are also 48 clicks as per gen, the reason for the 48 clicks is that every 1 click is half an hour, try it yourself and see, so you can adjust bezel in half hour increment.