• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF will launch the 2018 Baselworld Tudor Black Bay GMT Pepsi next month

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
Doesnt have much to do with the TD's more the factory. Youre getting the same watch from whatever TD you buy from. As for QC I doubt any TD likes exchanging watches and I'm sure they do little to no QC.

As for are the flaws acceptable. Kinda, kinda not. Mine runs 20 seconds fast a day which for me is unacceptable so I plan on regulating it myself. The other issues from my experience depend on the factory. This is my first time ordering from ZF and I can tell they have major quality control problems since a ton of people are reporting issues. Factories like Noob and ARF have issues too but they seem to be less frequent, and you're likely paying more.

As what Taco say, I am also another GMT owner with a few issues with QC of this watch. Still thinking to whether ship back or keep for now.

Just to add on what was mentioned about the other factories, I find VSF does a very good job with QC. So far very little issue with their watches.

Reactions: Kitosarg

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
I'd certainly hope so. Havent held a gen but this bezel is rough. Last night I took mine off the bracelet and spun the bezel for about 4 hours. It's much better now but if I didnt do that it was damn near impossible to turn.

4 hours? Haha.. You must have fingers of steel. Mine is tight too. And now my fingers hurt trying to turn it to try to break it in. After reading this thread I think there will be more people soon coming forward with issues on this watch. So returning it might be a futile exercise tbh. hmmm....

1675Fanboy

3/9/15
More than happy with mine. No real issues at all. Bezel is just right, not too loose or tight. Markers are good, + 5 secs per day, date alignment is acceptable, bracelet is one of the better rep ones I’ve seen.

I guess some TD’s do carry out a better level of QC than some others. Must admit mine is from a former TD here but is one over at RWG.

At under 10% cost of the gen I can live with the ICHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
More than happy with mine. No real issues at all. Bezel is just right, not too loose or tight. Markers are good, + 5 secs per day, date alignment is acceptable, bracelet is one of the better rep ones I’ve seen.

I guess some TD’s do carry out a better level of QC than some others. Must admit mine is from a former TD here but is one over at RWG.

At under 10% cost of the gen I can live with the ICHS.

Definitely hit and miss. Oh well.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
4 hours? Haha.. You must have fingers of steel. Mine is tight too. And now my fingers hurt trying to turn it to try to break it in. After reading this thread I think there will be more people soon coming forward with issues on this watch. So returning it might be a futile exercise tbh. hmmm....

LOL pretty much. Watched 4 episodes of Ozarks and spun the thing. Do they take returns for things you missed in QC?

I'm just taking it as a learning lesson Be more stern when wanting another sample in the qc process.

Reactions: Kitosarg

TheGarethJones

Known Member
4/4/18
That bottom bevel makes the GMT case much more appealing than the regular BB case. It gives a slightly slimmer profile and should make it more comfortable to wear. If they get this right I will not be able to resist. Also really want the BB58!

58! 58! 58! 58!

Sent from the RWI App

Alexccmeister

8/11/18
LOL pretty much. Watched 4 episodes of Ozarks and spun the thing. Do they take returns for things you missed in QC?

I'm just taking it as a learning lesson Be more stern when wanting another sample in the qc process.

I spun it maybe 30x before my finger tips are sore. Not sure about return. I doubt it. I pm the TD and no response on this. So guessing not but they will fix whatever is the problem. Anyway, I have decided to just keep it. I unwrapped the watch of all its plastic and adjusted the bracelet. So not going back for now.

Definitely will be more vigilant next time going through the QC process.

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
91a4915863540e1c48b869b796af80bf.jpg
fe3513c9ac0d6e665757e1d9627fcd54.jpg

Received mine a few days ago, really impressed with the quality, and it’s a nice watch too.

Definitely can’t see any blue in the bezel, who’s going to be first to dip in bleach? Me? How do I get this insert off?

Reactions: Tacotuesday

eVojlib

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
15/1/11
91a4915863540e1c48b869b796af80bf.jpg
fe3513c9ac0d6e665757e1d9627fcd54.jpg

Definitely can’t see any blue in the bezel, who’s going to be first to dip in bleach? Me? How do I get this insert off?

To remove the bezel you can use a caseback knife, first remove the bracelet and put painters tape on the lugs so they don’t get scratched. Lightly pry at each lug until you pop the bezel ring.

Just be careful not to damage or loose the gasket that holds it to the crystal retainer ring, there are also 3 springs and a spring fork to hold the bezel firm after rotating. They sit under a thin metal gasket washer where the ring meets the case.

The insert is compression fit with adhesive, and when you reinstall the bezel retainer ring put the gasket in the freezer for about 20 minutes the shrink it enough to press the ring back on.

To install the ring install the gasket and press firmly on the ring at all four corners of the lugs.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Received the Gen bezel from the eBay seller Have to say it's pretty damn close. Haven't compared in the sun yet though. Might be a bit more blue there.

Tacotuesday

1/6/18
Here's some more pics of the gen insert. Some things that you can tell upon close inspection, the gen has a matt finish while the rep has a spray paint finish (probably a better way to phrase that). The gen has little specs that shimmer in the light while the gen is just flat. It is also very slightly more blue. Both of these tells you need to be under direct light (maybe sunlight, I live in the North West, maybe I'll see the sun in a couple months to compare. Inside in normal light you cant tell the difference.

8iuz0.jpg

8iDf6.jpg

8iEdF.jpg

8ipnr.jpg

8ib5I.jpg

8i1fo.jpg

8iQzL.jpg

8iUjK.jpg

8in0e.jpg

Mrlicks

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/7/18
Liverpool
It must be my ageing eyes. I can hardly tell difference. Not enough to go Gen.
Mine is definitely blue in certain light.

michi_werner

Known Member
21/8/18
h
It must be my ageing eyes. I can hardly tell difference. Not enough to go Gen.
Mine is definitely blue in certain light.

I think it is interesting hear about the differences between Rep and gen. Nice that some people here are able to see these tiny details. I certainly wouldn’t be able to see the color differences for example.

However, the differences would need to be more obvious to myself to keep me from buying a rep. Only thing that would bother me with the GMT would be a very bad date...

eVojlib

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
15/1/11
h

I think it is interesting hear about the differences between Rep and gen. Nice that some people here are able to see these tiny details. I certainly wouldn’t be able to see the color differences for example.

However, the differences would need to be more obvious to myself to keep me from buying a rep. Only thing that would bother me with the GMT would be a very bad date...

If you look at numbers 14, 16 and 18 you can see on the rep insert they are straight and on the gen the numbers are closer at the bottom and more spacing at the top.

In otherwords the one’s in 14, 16 and 18 start the lean forward and away from the 4, 6 and 8 from bottom of the number to the top.

That is very noticeable more so than the color differences.

Gen font it also slightly bolder.

If the GEN insert above came from the EBay seller I think it did they are priced to move at $65 each and he also has a lot of 5 for $250.

To me it’s worth the money compared to other BB inserts selling for triple that.

michi_werner

Known Member
21/8/18
If you look at numbers 14, 16 and 18 you can see on the rep insert they are straight and on the gen the numbers are closer at the bottom and more spacing at the top.

In otherwords the one’s in 14, 16 and 18 start the lean forward and away from the 4, 6 and 8 from bottom of the number to the top.

If the GEN insert above came from the EBay seller I think it did they are priced to move at $65 each and he also has a lot of 5 for $250.

To me it’s worth the money compared to other BB inserts selling for triple that.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I’m impressed by your eye for the detail. Even after your description it took me a couple of minutes of comparing the numbers to notice the difference. And even now, I’m not even 100% sure if I got it right.

At first I thought I could just get a cheap dhgate rep since I really have a hard time identifying flaws sometimes, but I just like the overall higher quality feel of good reps. Therefore I will not take a risk and stick to TDs.

eVojlib

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
15/1/11
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I’m impressed by your eye for the detail. Even after your description it took me a couple of minutes of comparing the numbers to notice the difference. And even now, I’m not even 100% sure if I got it right.

At first I thought I could just get a cheap dhgate rep since I really have a hard time identifying flaws sometimes, but I just like the overall higher quality feel of good reps. Therefore I will not take a risk and stick to TDs.

No worries, the GMT is a beautiful watch and if you get a good example you will be very satisfied.

Reactions: michi_werner

john45

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/4/18
Sonoma

Interestingly, on the gen 10, there doesn't seem to be a lean.

Can someone provide the eBay link for gen bezels, please?