• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

'Rose' or 'Shield'...

JeanZee

Known Member
26/9/15
Been looking at getting a TUDOR Heritage Black Bay Blue-Bezel/Black Dial...
Several TDs have them, both made by ZF, in 'Rose' and 'Shield' versions...
Any important differences, which has proven to be the better quality rep?
Thanks

BirkinTourbillon

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/14
I’m not sure in terms of the reps but I do have a familiarity of this topic in terms of the gens. So afaik, firstly, the gens with Rose logo on the dial is all discontinued and are getting rarer these days because of that, yet weirdly enough, the movement inside of them is the ETA movement.

On the other hand, upon successfully manufacturing their own in-House movement Manufacture Calibre MT5612 with COSC Standards, Tudor commemorated this by changing the logo on the dial from “Rose” to “Shield”. For collectors, the one with Rose logo and smiley dial are highly sought after due to its discontinued status. IMHO quite an interesting story behind a brand that sells affordable gens.

"Tienes que correr riesgos, en esta vida"

JeanZee

Known Member
26/9/15
Just wondering if the differences are just cosmetic (Rose vs Shield, lettering 'self winding' vs 'officially certified') or are there other differences in bezel color, etc.
I believe the 'Rose' was released Sep-16 and the 'Shield' Jul-17... were there any upgrades to the newer Shield model?
Thanks

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
Rose cuz it's more rare....and gorgeous.... here is my gen for a nudge.
2cdbbd2151c35a20f915b2f1b91fbe79.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BirkinTourbillon

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
No it's not, the new Black Bays haven't been out long enough to outnumber the ETA based Black Bays.
Long term there will be more of the shield than the rose.... Seems that would make the rose more rare as I stated.

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14
Long term there will be more of the shield than the rose.... Seems that would make the rose more rare as I stated.

The ETA based Black Bays were produced for about 5 years. It's not rare at all, especially when compared to the new in-house model.

Reactions: Taz71

elimmie

Looking Around
4/6/18
The BBN rose was only produced a couple of months before it was replaced by the BBN shield

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
Would probably help if I read the FULL OP though huh... :)

resin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/6/18
Just wondering if the differences are just cosmetic (Rose vs Shield, lettering 'self winding' vs 'officially certified') or are there other differences in bezel color, etc.
I believe the 'Rose' was released Sep-16 and the 'Shield' Jul-17... were there any upgrades to the newer Shield model?
Thanks

Im just waiting for one of these to pop up on the sale section.. they always get swiped up fast

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
Shield is thicker than rose so it sits a touch higher on the wrist.

erekose

Renowned Member
Supporter
13/2/12
Tokyo
In terms of reps, it will just be personal preference.

I prefer the bracelet (and of course movement) on the newer version and that is what I bought in gen.

Teecey09

Known Member
10/6/18
U.K.
So is there much noticeable difference in the thickness between the two? Looking on the TDs they have the rose at 11mm and the shield at 14.8mm?

JeanZee

Known Member
26/9/15
I prefer the thinner 11mm on the 'Rose'...
My Ranger is 41x11 and fits my 7.5"wrist perfect...
Tho the 3.8mm difference doesn't seem like much, its definitely a different look on the wrist.
Waiting on my BB Steel, which is also 41x11... which seems to be my 'sweet-spot'...
My V6F Pelagos is 13.5mm thick and that's about as thick as I like to go...
But everyone has their own preferences.

optical

Renowned Member
31/1/10
I would go rose, it is thinner and I hate riveted bracelet look, the rose has normal bracelet, its my personal preference.

JeanZee

Known Member
26/9/15
My BB-Steel arrived... its 14.5mm thick... beautiful watch but alittle too thick...
Ranger at 11mm... and my Pelagos at 13.5, both seem to wear better for me...
If the case thickness on the 'Rose' is 11mm and not 14.5, I'm a buyer!...
Are there any rep owners of the 'Rose' that can confirm the case thickness at 11mm.
Thanks

Last edited:

hitaninjaup

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/7/16
If Gen, Rose. If Rep, Shield. I have not seen a decent rose dial (mostly coz of the fine details on the rose) on reps.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI