• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black Bay 58

katak

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/5/20
Sorry, I'm new and French... I didn't find the translation for lume pip, what is it exactly? Thanks

SouthFilo

Horology Curious
13/6/20
Received my 3rd and last QC pics from my TD. Last, since I've already given the GL given that it's been 3 weeks going back and forth to get a new one. Not dissapointed and not entirely impressed with the latest results but I'm happy and excited to get my hands on my first rep. QC pics below. Noticed that the crown / stem length was shortened but pip is still not centered. Hopefully it's just the angle of the picture.

Reactions: vcappp

KerwinKey

13/4/19
Not sure why the recent QCs, the quality is very inconsistent with misaligned markers, lume pip and long crown tube.

I, too, had to go through 3 pieces because something came up with slightly better markers, but lume pip still slanted. Oh wells.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

SouthFilo

Horology Curious
13/6/20
If based on the pip alone, I’d GL those.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Gave my GL 2 days ago and confirmed yesterday that it's otw. Excited to get my hands on my first rep and looking forward for more. Will post actual pics once the watch is received.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoePineapples

Mancster

Renowned Member
Certified
27/8/17
I have just rejected my second offering. First one, the bezel pip wasn't centred, it was too far to the right as other people's on this thread have been. Just got QC pics of my second watch, the bezel pip is perfect but the crown tube is now too long. Is it possible to get one with a centered pip and short tube? Anybody received one recently?

SouthFilo

Horology Curious
13/6/20
Is it possible to get one with a centered pip and short tube? Anybody received one recently?

Mine was shipped last 29 June and is still otw. As per my TD, HK customs became very strict for the past few days hence the delay. In my case, I personally opted to have the crown tube / stem short with the bezel pip not perfect. After 2 rejects, I've accepted the fact that I can't have the best of both worlds.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
Mine was shipped last 29 June and is still otw. As per my TD, HK customs became very strict for the past few days hence the delay. In my case, I personally opted to have the crown tube / stem short with the bezel pip not perfect. After 2 rejects, I've accepted the fact that I can't have the best of both worlds.

Crown tube is fixable, lume pip isnt.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
How would I fix the crown tube?

file, sandpaper, lathe, dremel, you name it. its not rocket science. Shaving a 1-2mm off shouldnt be much of an issue. you might need to shorten the crown stem too depending on how much length you removed, but thats virtually the same process. just make sure the inside of the tube is stuffed with something so no shavings get inside the watch, or better yet just remove the movement from the case altogether.

Reactions: fuzzmex and vcappp

geeza23

Looking Around
30/12/18
file, sandpaper, lathe, dremel, you name it. its not rocket science. Shaving a 1-2mm off shouldnt be much of an issue. you might need to shorten the crown stem too depending on how much length you removed, but thats virtually the same process.

is the crown tube detachable to shave for you to reinsert?

edit: anyone who has successfully filed down the crown tube able to please share some details around the process as I'm looking to do it myself (with the help of a watch smith)

Last edited:

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
You can't shave off the crown tube on this one. I tried it in the past. More than approx 0.1mm is not possible. The problem lies in that you can only reach the threaded part of the tube for the shaving. After the threaded part, it's solid round. It is in the end of the threaded part that the crown stops screwing in. So if you shave the threaded part, it will still stick out as before because the screwed crown can't go further on it.

In theory they only way to do it is to create a bit more thread on the crown tube and then shaving off the rest. And shortening the stem of course.

geeza23

Looking Around
30/12/18
You can't shave off the crown tube on this one. I tried it in the past. More than approx 0.1mm is not possible. The problem lies in that you can only reach the threaded part of the tube for the shaving. After the threaded part, it's solid round. It is in the end of the threaded part that the crown stops screwing in. So if you shave the threaded part, it will still stick out as before because the screwed crown can't go further on it.

In theory they only way to do it is to create a bit more thread on the crown tube and then shaving off the rest. And shortening the stem of course.

so I did a bit of digging and actually found https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/tudor/6778767-black-bay-58?p=7685616#post7685616 this post from around page 39 and it seems like this person at least somewhat successfully did it as shown in the after pics.

There's actually a tiny bit of metal before the threaded part starts so I'm thinking in theory that section might be fileable? I notice that in the after pic (https://imgur.com/jUB3QWl) it seems like it started straight from the threaded part.

May I ask if you managed to solve your crown tube problem at the end?

Logixa

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
9/11/17
Netherlands
geeza23 I just took a look at the pictures of that person. It seems that his crown tube is actually different than the one I had on my v1. Maybe they changed something? But either way, he removes the unthreaded part but ALSO leaves out the rubber gaskets. He did achieve the shortening of the crown tube but at the cost of the watch no longer being watertight.

So yeah, if thats acceptable then it is a method alright.

I didnt manage to fully solve my crown tube issue in the end. The watch was sold.

SouthFilo

Horology Curious
13/6/20
Received my first rep a few days ago. Thoughts? As expected, pip is not perfectly centered but nevertheless I'm happy with the watch. Can't stop admiring how beautiful it is (not until I focus on the pip lol). Pics below!

Reactions: timefly and vcappp

geeza23

Looking Around
30/12/18
Logixa yeah interesting.. didn't realise that it looks different to the one you had. hmm yeah I suppose that would be a trade off although I don't see myself taking mine under water and the closest it would be to water would be me washing my hands while wearing it or getting caught in the rain unexpectedly...

I might consult with my watch smith and see what he thinks of it as he'll most likely be the one performing the operation

Snookit

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/11/17
Received my first rep a few days ago. Thoughts? As expected, pip is not perfectly centered but nevertheless I'm happy with the watch. Can't stop admiring how beautiful it is (not until I focus on the pip lol). Pics below!

What’s the pip?

Sent from the RWI App