• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black Bay 58

fra11nus

Horology Curious
12/6/18
Thanks mate. Will be interested to see what you think of the Luff. I'll get a CNS one ordered soon as well and do a comp with my C&B. The overall length is not a massive issue as they are adjustable of course.

The difference is C&B are 25.5cm, cheapestnatostrap at 30cm and Luff Strap at 27cm but with 9 buckle holes. I'm getting a Luff strap soon and will check it out. I still prefer C&B as they have options for hardware finish.

Did either of you guys get the single pass strap clones from CNS and Luff? Would love to see a comparison to the C&B Chevron. Thanks

Sent using Tapatalk

kryp29

Known Member
27/6/19
That's ZF for you, don't matter from which TD. These issues are common especially with the bezel alignment to the markers and even my V2 has bad finish on the hands and slight mismatch lume. Some people are lucky, most aren't.

They still can't get alot of things right if you look closer. Gen is still miles ahead. I ended up giving my v2 away cuz it just pale so much next to my Gen I can't be arsed with it anymore.

ZF V2 (Compared to Gen):

Pros:
- Almost identical Case dimensions
- Looks like the real thing from far (Most reps do lol)
- 1/10 of Gen Price
- Link Bracelet is closely identical, other than the clasp which may not be flushed when closed (Easy fix)
- Overall feel on wrist feels like a Gen
- Still has room for easy improvements! Expect to see much better versions (Hopefully)

Cons/Difference:
- Much thinner and smaller Bezel Insert Marker prints (Biggest Tell)
- Bezel Alignment issues on 12 marker. Some TD will align it halfway or pictured with a certain angle for QC pics.
- Tudor and Shield Print is much thicker
- Lume are slightly mismatched with 3/6/9/12
- Lume paint are much whiter than Gen patina white
- Lume Pip appear sunken/flat as compared to Gen
- Lume Appear Blue rather than green when shone with UV torch even tho both Gen and Rep has the same Green Lume hue in night shots
- My ZF v2 came with a very inconsistent movement readings (on timegrapher) direct from factory
- Crystal slightly thicker near the edges, covering the 'Swiss Made' print if viewed directly as evident in all of the Rep pics here.
- Dial Colour are visibly lighter shade compared to Gen in most angles
- Gold Hands has tarnish marks/poor finishing if viewed in daylight angles
- Minute Hands are slightly wider

Forgot to mentioned the Pinion Hole in ZF versions haha!

fra11nus

Horology Curious
12/6/18
CNS and Luff are the generic brands, they're using almost the same material across, unlike C&B. I've posted a comparison pic here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...for-tudor-bb58

Thanks for the comparison. Sounds like the price for C&B is worth it in this case over the clones. Although, assuming Luff and CNS are comparable to each other, the CNS might not be bad (especially at the price) as long as one has no expectation that it stacks up to C&B chevron or other "premium" quality NATO-type straps

Last edited:

fireice2

Known Member
4/3/19
This is my QC for anyone interested.

Mine has a misaligned index at 3 & 6. But since I was buying for the wife, I asked her to check if she can find anything wrong. She GL the watch despite the flaws.

Conjurer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/19
Are there genuine aftermarket black bay dials? Like for the BB36, 58, Heritage, GMT etc? If there are can anyone suggest any site? Thank u in advance

Beone21

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/12/10
With c&b Chevron. Better quality than most other NATO brands i used.
e00bc764bf8a5f2050e3b2567766d35e.jpg
16043569720969ac6de8759f2579346a.jpg
752d1dd294abfb9f2e029d35d730619c.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GM1903 met Tapatalk

Big_Pilot

26/5/17
That's ZF for you, don't matter from which TD. These issues are common especially with the bezel alignment to the markers and even my V2 has bad finish on the hands and slight mismatch lume. Some people are lucky, most aren't.

They still can't get alot of things right if you look closer. Gen is still miles ahead. I ended up giving my v2 away cuz it just pale so much next to my Gen I can't be arsed with it anymore.

ZF V2 (Compared to Gen):

Pros:
- Almost identical Case dimensions
- Looks like the real thing from far (Most reps do lol)
- 1/10 of Gen Price
- Link Bracelet is closely identical, other than the clasp which may not be flushed when closed (Easy fix)
- Overall feel on wrist feels like a Gen
- Still has room for easy improvements! Expect to see much better versions (Hopefully)

Cons/Difference:
- Much thinner and smaller Bezel Insert Marker prints (Biggest Tell)
- Bezel Alignment issues on 12 marker. Some TD will align it halfway or pictured with a certain angle for QC pics.
- Tudor and Shield Print is much thicker
- Lume are slightly mismatched with 3/6/9/12
- Lume paint are much whiter than Gen patina white
- Lume Pip appear sunken/flat as compared to Gen
- Lume Appear Blue rather than green when shone with UV torch even tho both Gen and Rep has the same Green Lume hue in night shots
- My ZF v2 came with a very inconsistent movement readings (on timegrapher) direct from factory
- Crystal slightly thicker near the edges, covering the 'Swiss Made' print if viewed directly as evident in all of the Rep pics here.
- Dial Colour are visibly lighter shade compared to Gen in most angles
- Gold Hands has tarnish marks/poor finishing if viewed in daylight angles
- Minute Hands are slightly wider

As the owner of a number of reps and having recently added the ZF BB58 to my rotation, I think the above comments (although all valid and true) gives of a bit harsh impression.

You simply are a rep person, or you aren't. All reps have their flaws, it's just a matter what you are willing to live with.

And someone who wants a perfect watch should simply buy the Gen.....prices are not in the unattainable level.

And for the price of a rep, and some good QC on the known flaws/issues, you can have a fantastic watch.

I love that's it's a Tudor, and not shouting "look at me with my Rolex" (says the guy with number of Rolex reps in rotation).
It's a great size.....39mm....which also be a great fit for a woman.
Love that the case has the 12-something mm thickness......as the regular Black Bays are just like a brick on the wrist with the 14.7mm case thinkness.
I love the bezel, dial play of light with the black, white, gold, and silver details.
Great bezel action, not the easiest to grip though
The wristband is just not at Rolex (Submariner) comfort level, and I miss the Sub (my go-to daily) micro adjustability.

For the rest it's a fantastic watch and ZF did a great effort here.

Last edited:

kryp29

Known Member
27/6/19
As the owner of a number of reps and having recently added the ZF BB58 to my rotation, I think the above comments (although all valid and true) gives of a bit harsh impression.

You simply are a rep person, or you aren't. All reps have their flaws, it's just a matter what you are willing to live with.

And someone who wants a perfect watch should simply buy the Gen.....prices are not in the unattainable level.

And for the price of a rep, and some good QC on the known flaws/issues, you can have a fantastic watch.

I love that's it's a Tudor, and not shouting "look at me with my Rolex" (says the guy with number of Rolex reps in rotation).
It's a great size.....39mm....which also be a great fit for a woman.
Love that the case has the 12-something mm thickness......as the regular Black Bays are just like a brick on the wrist with the 14.7mm case thinkness.
I love the bezel, dial play of light with the black, white, gold, and silver details.
Great bezel action, not the easiest to grip though
The wristband is just not at Rolex (Submariner) comfort level, and I miss the Sub (my go-to daily) micro adjustability.

For the rest it's a fantastic watch and ZF did a great effort here.

I can have my own opinion, you can have yours. I'm not even thinking I'm being harsh. Its either they can choose to make improvements or you can be happy with the flaws, no one is stopping you. I can buy any Gen I want, but we're here because of Reps and how fun it is to own one and marvel at. I can agree on the Tudor vs Rolex part.

Reactions: michi_werner

michi_werner

Known Member
21/8/18
I would personally never be so picky with the Reps, but I’m impressed with your eye for detail. I prefer to know what the flaws are, but I personally would still buy the V2.

my main issue isn’t the difference to the Gen, but rather the issues of the Rep itself. I mean the misalignments, the non-matching lumes etc. Those are issues that would bother me. From what I’ve seen the BB58 even as V2 has quite a lot of these problems, especially badly misaligned markers...

Maybe Tudor will come out with a new color way that will finally convince me to just buy the Gen. With the current color I’m not 100% sure...

mmcska

Looking Around
4/10/19
Does zf v2 bb58 still ship with a plastic box ? Was told by TD that ZF no longer ships with the box.

Big_Pilot

26/5/17
I would personally never be so picky with the Reps, but I’m impressed with your eye for detail. I prefer to know what the flaws are, but I personally would still buy the V2.

my main issue isn’t the difference to the Gen, but rather the issues of the Rep itself. I mean the misalignments, the non-matching lumes etc. Those are issues that would bother me. From what I’ve seen the BB58 even as V2 has quite a lot of these problems, especially badly misaligned markers...

Maybe Tudor will come out with a new color way that will finally convince me to just buy the Gen. With the current color I’m not 100% sure...

Also on mine, you could come to the conclusion that the markers are misaligned. But this is after making full screen print of dial and drawing lines on the picture.

I am normally very very picky in my QC process......but here I came to the conclusion that you will never see it on the wrist, as the alignment is off soooooooo slightly.

Yes, ZF should do a better job.....but this is a $300-something watch.

Order in good faith, have a careful QC review, if alignment or other issues are too big for your liking ask for another example.

And hopefully you will be lucky with next proposed BB58, but I think they will all have these issues more or less. And think a V3 version will be the same.
They fix one issue, and open a new one.

I am happy with my purchase, as it's really a nice watch (Rep, or Gen).

And yes, I do appreciate people pointing out all the detailed flaws on the watch, as it helps me cross-check these during my QC process. Where some are an issue for me, and others are not.
In the end it's all about what is important to you.

quangvuong

Horology Curious
26/8/19
Aussieland
Just GL'd my 2nd set of QCs. An improvement from my first one with small minor acceptable flaws.
Here you can see this tube is shorter and the 12 marker has a acceptable alignment with the shield logo.
SELs not as tight as my first one but I really do not want to RL again over that.
Some indices are not perfectly align but I can live with that.

Oh, another Sydney member. I’d love to see another rep in person. Yours looks pretty good in the pics as did mine in the QC pics. But there were flaws that became visible only in person.

Reactions: Ghostreconx

Yona24

Known Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
21/4/19
Oh, another Sydney member. I’d love to see another rep in person. Yours looks pretty good in the pics as did mine in the QC pics. But there were flaws that became visible only in person.

Just received the watch.
Despite knowing its flaws, I still think its a beautiful watch in person. And as others said, this is a Tudor not a Rolex!

48844891713_4f3765597d_k.jpg

48845560932_b7929c70dd_k.jpg

Last edited: