• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black Bay 58

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
tenor.gif

Vertibird255

Horology Curious
11/1/19
Seems like all the latest BB58 who look great here came from Puretime. Since I'm having some difficulties with payments there, any experience of other TDs with what seems the latest version?

Ronald

Known Member
20/4/15
I ordered one from Puretime and received disappointing QC shots. I rejected the watch. Main reason being the poor pearl finish. Few other niggles too. The marker at 12 is slightly offset and there’s a tiny hole in the lume on the hour hand too. The tube height is a little high. Anal to some maybe, but there are better ones out there. See the comparison below.

QC shot I received:
f6b94bf363e0038dd165a6150a6d0e6f.jpg

Here’s a QC shot of a good one for reference. Not mine unfortunately:
3ce8e42bf266d7706ff681c01709d915.jpg

I can also see a clear difference in the crown tube lenght, don’t think you are being anal at all ...

Reactions: michi_werner

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Originally posted by jackflash View Post
I ordered one from Puretime and received disappointing QC shots. I rejected the watch. Main reason being the poor pearl finish. Few other niggles too. The marker at 12 is slightly offset and there’s a tiny hole in the lume on the hour hand too. The tube height is a little high. Anal to some maybe, but there are better ones out there. See the comparison below.

QC shot I received:
f6b94bf363e0038dd165a6150a6d0e6f.jpg

Here’s a QC shot of a good one for reference. Not mine unfortunately:
3ce8e42bf266d7706ff681c01709d915.jpg

I can also see a clear difference in the crown tube lenght, don’t think you are being anal at all ...

Yes there is a clear difference indeed in these 2D pictures.
The next question, logically, would be whether there's anything in the representation of these 3D objects that could account for this difference.
It seems to me there's a simple explanation.
The second ("better") watch is positioned slightly closer to the camera, causing the bezel to cover the crown tube behind a bit more than on the first picture and thus make it appear shorter.
This effect is magnified as the second watch is tilted a bit, with the 9 o'clock marker a bit higher and possibly closer to the camera.

Judging from just these two photographs, I wouldn't be at all surprised if both crown tubes have the same length.
More pics would be needed from both watches to make any sensible judgment.

bigtiddygothgf

7/10/18
I think you're mistaken, there's less than 1mm clearance between the bezel and the crown as it stands. Considdering mine was the one labeled above QC1 puretime it's a pretty big difference. Brings it down at least to QC2. perhaps it's the angles of the photos. I'll see if i can dig out my caliper and find an actual measurement online too. Either way we're talking about <0.5mm at this point.

hmmm, honestly youre probably right. do you have a picture from the back? a caseback-side shot would make it pretty easy to compare the tube length.

Soxxgo2

Renowned Member
2/2/15
Phoenix, AZ
hmmm, honestly youre probably right. do you have a picture from the back? a caseback-side shot would make it pretty easy to compare the tube length.
+1. We need to see multiple angles of these "new" ones that supposedly have a shorter tube length. The hands on the other hand do seem to be changed. Unless the lighting conditions or camera settings were different from picture to picture.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

michi_werner

Known Member
21/8/18
+1. We need to see multiple angles of these "new" ones that supposedly have a shorter tube length. The hands on the other hand do seem to be changed. Unless the lighting conditions or camera settings were different from picture to picture.

I agree, and would also be very curious to see these case back photos!

carbonized

Horology Curious
27/3/19
I just went and tried on the Gen 58 on nato in my local AD. Between the minute 30 seconds of getting outside and looking at mine again literally the only noticeable thing was the lume. (which doesn't really bother me) I actually think the lume on the dial is too white and should be a tad bit more beige. Imho ... the nato felt underwhelming regardless of the tapestry maker who makes it I'd have a zulu for feel over that. It made me all the more happy with mine. I didn't notice any different feel or look regarding the tube length either.

Reactions: Ronald

ashpatek

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/12/18
London, UK
I've had my ZF 58 since the end of Jan, and I can say the I'm very happy with it. Its fast become my everyday watch. Multiple times I've gone and compared it to a Gen in the stores and neither I/the salesperson can tell the different.

Bero182

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/12/18
I've had my ZF 58 since the end of Jan, and I can say the I'm very happy with it. Its fast become my everyday watch. Multiple times I've gone and compared it to a Gen in the stores and neither I/the salesperson can tell the different.

Salesperson needs to wear glasses.

Hour marking lumens are too white, also the hands lume. Not to tell the crown length and the final polish

Soxxgo2

Renowned Member
2/2/15
Phoenix, AZ
Buddy, stop wearing reps in gen stores. And if you do, I wouldn't brag about it here.

muNdIAGn

Horology Curious
12/4/18
Long time Lurker, First-time poster.

Need Help with QC of the BB58 Here. Got it from Puretime.

The flaw I noticed:

1. The Lume is of a different color.

Can't spot anything else, to be honest. But, then again, I have an untrained eye for this.

Any help would be appreciated.

More pictures can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/80VbZck

They allowed me 24 hours to get a QC of this, I have asked them to send me the pictures again because some of them are grainy and hazy!

vt9Y9yW.jpg

vt9Y9yW.jpg

2rjV1Uk.jpg

t3NxLnl.jpg

Kitosarg

Known Member
13/7/18
Long time Lurker, First-time poster.

Need Help with QC of the BB58 Here. Got it from Puretime.

The flaw I noticed:

1. The Lume is of a different color.

Can't spot anything else, to be honest. But, then again, I have an untrained eye for this.

Any help would be appreciated.

More pictures can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/80VbZck

They allowed me 24 hours to get a QC of this, I have asked them to send me the pictures again because some of them are grainy and hazy!

vt9Y9yW.jpg

vt9Y9yW.jpg

2rjV1Uk.jpg

t3NxLnl.jpg

I don’t see any problem at all

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
i haven't seen a BB58 in the wild yet, but earlier today watchgecko posted one on instagram with one of their straps and there was definitely a lume difference between the hands and the markers. I then googled a few pics of ones I think were gens and saw it in a few of them as well. maybe the lume difference is normal? maybe at certain angles? maybe they were all reps, lol. who knows.